Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby eido » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:wow... tough crowd. Hopefully you are all busy learning dammit! :twisted:

I've learned 20 words/phrases of Faroese so far. I'm eyeing the only Faroese italki tutor who is perhaps the only one in existence. I will go through my Faroese textbook and might even go through the complicated grammar from over 50 years ago to add fuel to the fire. It's possible I'll study the basic online course provided by one of Iceland's universities in tandem with government agencies from the Faroes. I'll be anxiously waiting for the C1 course in Faroese from the same site that will probably never come, even though I hate the teaching method. I will go nuts.

And then I will learn Icelandic and get all confused because Faroese is basically Icelandic, but with more dialects and pronunciation that makes you go, "eh? or was it /œ/?"

That's me.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 pm

I'm plugging along with Swedish and getting in some gentle Norwegian exposure. One day I'll throw myself into that thing they call Danish, too.

For Swedish learners, in case it hasn't already been mentioned, https://www.svenska.se is a great resource. It collates the Svenska Ordlista, Svenska Akademiens Ordbok and Svensk Ordbok.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:52 am

A clip from the Fallet series, available (at least in Canada) on Netflix, with equal parts Swedish, English and silliness, with a smattering I believe of Finnish, Norwegian and Danish(?). Elsewhere in the series so far, I have encountered one line of Latin and a non-conversation via Morse code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v5jA7OxHw

The Netflix version has English subtitles. This series appears to have been sponsored in part by the Norrbacka Tourism Board: "Norrbacka is a ****** little town with horrible restaurants and nothing much to do. And a population of 17,000 idiots"
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:54 pm

lavengro wrote:A clip from the Fallet series, available (at least in Canada) on Netflix, with equal parts Swedish, English and silliness, with a smattering I believe of Finnish, Norwegian and Danish(?). Elsewhere in the series so far, I have encountered one line of Latin and a non-conversation via Morse code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v5jA7OxHw

The Netflix version has English subtitles. This series appears to have been sponsored in part by the Norrbacka Tourism Board: "Norrbacka is a ****** little town with horrible restaurants and nothing much to do. And a population of 17,000 idiots"

Upsettingly, I can't watch it on youtube as SVT has blocked it. And I don't have Netflix, and I'm not all too sure I would have been able to watch it there anyway... ho-hum.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:13 pm

That's definitely Finnish, as for the rest, Swedish or Borkmal or something? I'm still confused by Norway, and its languages, to be honest.
0 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Could this be a new version of Norwegisch ohne Mühe?
0 x
Corrections welcome!

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Hei Team Nordic, I’m looking for recommendations for books in bokmål. My Norwegian is very basic, but I can guess many words from German. I read some sample texts from Jo Nesbø and I’m able to get the gist. A crime novel would be nice, but I’m open to other genres. No children’s books or YA, please. I read a lot of Harry Potter lately and have enough of angsty teenagers for a while. ;) Is the Harry Hole series a good choice or is there something better suited for beginners?
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Philipp wrote:Hei Team Nordic, I’m looking for recommendations for books in bokmål. My Norwegian is very basic, but I can guess many words from German. I read some sample texts from Jo Nesbø and I’m able to get the gist. A crime novel would be nice, but I’m open to other genres. No children’s books or YA, please. I read a lot of Harry Potter lately and have enough of angsty teenagers for a while. ;) Is the Harry Hole series a good choice or is there something better suited for beginners?

I think it would probably be as good as anything else. One advantage is that a lot of Jo Nesbø’s books have been translated to English and German, so you could consult the translations if you get stuck.
1 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I think it would probably be as good as anything else. One advantage is that a lot of Jo Nesbø’s books have been translated to English and German, so you could consult the translations if you get stuck.

Thanks. Then I'll to start with Flaggermusmannen. I'm curious how it goes.
1 x
Corrections are welcome!

suomiruotsinorja
Languages: Finnish (N), English (C1/C2), Swedish (C1), Russian (beginner)

Postby suomiruotsinorja » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:24 am

Moi/hej/hei everyone!

This study group seems to be just the place for me! I am Finnish, studying in Sweden and dating a Norwegian guy. My biggest problem at the moment is mixing up Swedish and Norwegian. I am fluent in Swedish and I can understand Norwegian well. However, when I try to learn to produce Norwegian it ends up affecting my Swedish (I sometimes use Norwegian words by accident and confuse my Swedish friends). Any advice? The languages are so similar - which is a blessing and a curse.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”