Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:17 pm

suomiruotsinorja wrote:Moi/hej/hei everyone!

This study group seems to be just the place for me! I am Finnish, studying in Sweden and dating a Norwegian guy. My biggest problem at the moment is mixing up Swedish and Norwegian. I am fluent in Swedish and I can understand Norwegian well. However, when I try to learn to produce Norwegian it ends up affecting my Swedish (I sometimes use Norwegian words by accident and confuse my Swedish friends). Any advice? The languages are so similar - which is a blessing and a curse.

Unless you really want to learn Norwegian, you might as well just stick with Swedish since Norwegians usually understand it without many problems. If you do want to learn Norwegian, then I’ve heard some people say that it helps to concentrate on the different “feeling” of the languages. That is, every language has its own personality or feel and if you can “feel Norwegian” when you speak Norwegian and “feel Swedish” when you speak Swedish, you won’t mix them up. It sounds like New Age mumbo jumbo, I know, but it is said to help.
2 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:49 pm

The 10-part Danish television series “Historien om Danmark” is back on dr.dk, now with Danish subtitles as well as synstolkning. It can be viewed outside of Denmark, and it’ll be available until August 12, 2019. Here’s the link to the first episode:

https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/historien-om-da ... -stenalder
5 x
Corrections welcome!

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 pm

AlOlaf wrote:The 10-part Danish television series “Historien om Danmark” is back on dr.dk, now with Danish subtitles as well as synstolkning. It can be viewed outside of Denmark, and it’ll be available until August 12, 2019. Here’s the link to the first episode:

https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/historien-om-da ... -stenalder

Thanks, that is a good show and I missed a few episodes the first time around.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8347

Postby Philipp » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:58 pm

I just started to read Sønnen by Nesbø and I stumbled upon a construction I don’t really understand. I have seen this particular construction a couple of times now and it always puzzles me.

The context is, two old colleagues banter and the topic of having children comes up:

«Jeg tror du alt har en unge et sted, jeg, det er derfor du ikke vil ha.»

I understand the meaning, `I think you already have a kid somewhere, that’s why you don’t want another.´ What I don‘t understand is the meaning of the second jeg. What‘s the difference in meaning without it?
0 x
Corrections are welcome!

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 am

Philipp wrote:I just started to read Sønnen by Nesbø and I stumbled upon a construction I don’t really understand. I have seen this particular construction a couple of times now and it always puzzles me.

The context is, two old colleagues banter and the topic of having children comes up:

I understand the meaning, `I think you already have a kid somewhere, that’s why you don’t want another.´ What I don‘t understand is the meaning of the second jeg. What‘s the difference in meaning without it?
The following isn't a complete answer, but maybe it still is of some use:

- When a word is repeated in just any language, it is often done for simply emphasizing it.

- Apart from that... could it be that this colleague calls himself/herself the unge of the other colleague? Not sure about the book's context, but it could be a metaphor or a joke.

- And no, I didn't forget that for sentence objects, there are other words like mig/meg. But even as someone with a nowhere-near-C2 understanding I still "dare" ;) to say that I consider that meaning to be possible. Words like "I" and "me" sometimes are used interchangeably in other languages like English, so maybe here, too. Also, there are these commas. What's more, it also is an element of style of some writers to sometimes come up with a Direct Speech Citation that intentionally "deviates" a bit from the Standard Written Language.
1 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Philipp
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N); English (what you see); Spanish, Norwegian, French (beginner)

Postby Philipp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

SGP wrote:
Philipp wrote:I just started to read Sønnen by Nesbø and I stumbled upon a construction I don’t really understand. I have seen this particular construction a couple of times now and it always puzzles me.

The following isn't a complete answer, but maybe it still is of some use:

- When a word is repeated in just any language, it is often done for simply emphasizing it.

- Apart from that... could it be that this colleague calls himself/herself the unge of the other colleague? Not sure about the book's context, but it could be a metaphor or a joke.

- And no, I didn't forget that for sentence objects, there are other words like mig/meg. But even as someone with a nowhere-near-C2 understanding I still "dare" ;) to say that I consider that meaning to be possible. Words like "I" and "me" sometimes are used interchangeably in other languages like English, so maybe here, too. Also, there are these commas. What's more, it also is an element of style of some writers to sometimes come up with a Direct Speech Citation that intentionally "deviates" a bit from the Standard Written Language.

From the context, it's clear she, the colleague, is referring to having children. She asks him something like "still no children, yet". He answers with "still not retired yet" and then the quoted sentence follows.

You are right this is certainly a colloquialism. Nesbø often writes direct speech in dialect, which is at times more than a bit different from standard language. Most of this goes over my head, but I can usually tell that it's not bokmål. :D

I've seen this particular construction in other books from him, but I have also seen it on reddit or some other forum. Probably it's used to emphasize the "I". Maybe it’s something like “I glaube ja Lehrer sind auch nur Menschen, glaube ich”. Though, I’m not sure if that is a natural German sentence. I still find it peculiar, I, to frame a sentence with jeg. :)
2 x
Corrections are welcome!

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am

Philipp wrote:You are right this is certainly a colloquialism. Nesbø often writes direct speech in dialect, which is at times more than a bit different from standard language. Most of this goes over my head, but I can usually tell that it's not bokmål. :D
Norway is full of dialects. I really like their attitude towards them. And they even have got two variants of Standard (!) Norwegian, the other one being Nynorsk. #History #Danmark
Whenever I had the time to continue with my workable (= improvable) Norwegian, I usually checked first what variant any particular learning resource would use. Wouldn't want to make the differences a very big deal either. However, they do exist. And (many/all) Norwegians learn both of them, but I wouldn't expect "The Average Norwegian" to know both of them to the very, very same degree.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Maybe a real Norwegian will come along and give you a better answer as to why we say it that way, but in the meantime, I can tell you that that is a very common, colloquial way of expressing oneself. We often start a sentence with “jeg” (I) and end it the same way. The sentence means the same thing if you leave out the second “jeg”, but it’s very common in casual speech to include it. I suppose, as SGP suggests, it can give a bit of extra emphasis as in emphasizing that it is the speaker’s own opinion/belief, but it’s so common that it barely even feels all that emphatic.

The idea that he’s referring to himself as the other man’s child? No, definitely not.

Edit: Oops, I see from your second post that the speaker was female, but my answer still applies, just change the pronouns.
1 x

Philipp
Yellow Belt

Postby Philipp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Maybe a real Norwegian will come along and give you a better answer as to why we say it that way, but in the meantime, I can tell you that that is a very common, colloquial way of expressing oneself. We often start a sentence with “jeg” (I) and end it the same way. The sentence means the same thing if you leave out the second “jeg”, but it’s very common in casual speech to include it. I suppose, as SGP suggests, it can give a bit of extra emphasis as in emphasizing that it is the speaker’s own opinion/belief, but it’s so common that it barely even feels all that emphatic.

Thank you, for the explanation. I must have heard this expression before, but I'm still at that stage where I can barely comprehend. My brain seems to filter out any finer points or redundant information when I listen, but in writing this construction jumped out at me.
1 x
Corrections are welcome!

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

For the Danish learners:

Here is a series of 22 short, educational films about the Danish political system. There are Danish subtitles that can be turned off. The average film length is about three minutes.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Study Groups”