Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Team Scandinavian

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Anya wrote:Hello,

I would like to join yout team as a beginner for Swedish.

Welcome :) I've put you in the first post. Will you be posting Swedish updtates in your current log, or will you keep another log? Or will you not have a Swedish log at all?
0 x

caam_imt
White Belt
Languages: Español (MX)

English (C1)
Suomi (C1)
Deutsch (~B1?)
Svenska (~A2-B1?)
日本語 (~A1?)

Postby caam_imt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi, I thought of joining the team, as I will be reactivating my Swedish studies very soon. I don't have a log and probably won't keep one anyways, but I can post here from time to time :). I also noticed Elenia that you took an interest in Finnish. Even though I'm not a native speaker, I'll be glad to talk about my experiences or whatever you might need to know.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 pm

caam_imt wrote:Hi, I thought of joining the team, as I will be reactivating my Swedish studies very soon. I don't have a log and probably won't keep one anyways, but I can post here from time to time :). I also noticed Elenia that you took an interest in Finnish. Even though I'm not a native speaker, I'll be glad to talk about my experiences or whatever you might need to know.

Wonderful :) to the first post you shall go!

Thank you for your offer. Finnish only seems to get more fascinating for me, and I would like to mess around with it some day. While I probably do have the time for it now, I don't have the discipline, so I'm leaving all thoughts of new languages until some time after summer, at the very earliest. If this group does expand, it would be a great place for you to post your experiences :)
0 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Re: Team Scandinavian [study group]

Postby Anya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks, Elenia

I will post Swedish updates in my current log
1 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm

Elenia wrote:A question: would we like to widen our remit to include the other Nordic languages? I, for one, am interested in Finnish and Icelandic and the experiences of learners. I believe it would still be entirely possible to create a team feeling, although I am worried that Finnish learners might be left out in the cold a bit.

I was just about to ask. I'm the lone active Icelandic learner on the board, as far as I know, so I'm not likely to fit into any other groups...
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Soffía wrote:I was just about to ask. I'm the lone active Icelandic learner on the board, as far as I know, so I'm not likely to fit into any other groups...

I think there are a few other Icelandic learners hiding somewhere among the rest of us FIGS masses, but certainly no one rushing to make any groups. If no one has any objections by Friday, I'll expand the group.

---

Friday is when I'll come do some housekeeping so let me know either here or by PM if you have any ideas or requests. I have thought about setting non-obligatory goals or challenges, creating a book and/or film club or just having this be a scandi/nordic lounge where we can all chill out and share our joys and frustrations. Looking forward to hearing from you (this includes non-scandi learners and lurkers!)
0 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:50 pm

Icelandic is a Scandinavian language (=north-germanic language) anyway ;)
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Sarnek
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Fluent), Swedish (Advanced-), German (Intermediate-)

Postby Sarnek » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Hej allihopa! I'll make sure to drop by whenever I can!
Count me in! Ta(c)k(k)!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Hej, hej!

So, it's Friday and I'm here, as promised. I've widened the groups geographical area and turned it into a study and support group - mainly because I really like the idea of a support group.

We've had a full week of 2016 already, and I hope it's gone well for all. If not, no worries. There is plenty of time to turn the year around :)

This month's non-obligatory goal is to watch a film. It doesn't have to be in your TL, but it does have to be from one of the Nordic countries. Whether you watch with subtitles is entirely at your own discretion, although I urge those who can - including myself - to watch without. Afterwards, share the film with us. Tell us what it was about, what you liked, what you weren't such a fan of, and who you'd recommend it to. Once again, I urge those who can write in their TL to do so, but please provide a translation for other members of the group.

This idea is shamelessly stolen from the London Swedish Meet-up who hold a Scandinavian film night. The goal is culture rather than language.

Enjoy all!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Count me in :D this is my log :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Study Groups”