Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Hallo alle sammen!

Has anyone tried the Introduction to Norwegian course developpped by the University of Oslo which is available at Future Learn? I just met one Brazilian guy at a Whatsapp group who has a terrific accent, especially intonation, and he says he learned from that course. I noticed they have a module on Phonetics, so I wonder if it's worth giving it a try even at my current level.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 pm

I just came across an interesting video from SBS Australia (in English) (to view this you would need a VPN or be located in Australia, sorry). In the video they talk a lot about the developing multicultural trend in the Faeroe Islands due to a shortage of women, who they themselves to a certain extent have gone off to other lands in search of opportunities. Language and culture, including the learning of Faeroese is discussed in the video. Worth a look. If you cannot watch the video, there is an accompanying article which summarises the video content.

Love in a Strange Land
1 x

monolingualmemories
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Swedish (B1) Pashto (A1) Spanish (beginner) Polish (beginner)

Postby monolingualmemories » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm interested in joining this team as a Swedish language learner. I'm also brand new to this forum, so I might need help in regards to navigation. This is my first time navigating any sort of forum.

I'm participating in the language challenge for Swedish and would love to have some help or at least support along the way. I'm a professional tutor and happy to help in English, though it likely won't be needed. Perhaps there are other skills I can contribute. If you need a committed practice buddy I'd be happy to join you! Excited to continue learning and hopefully make a few friends :)
-KJ
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:05 pm

I'd like to join this group for Icelandic. I have been interested in the country of Iceland since I was a young teenager. I got a little obsessed thanks to the anime Hetalia, and I even cosplayed as the character of the personification of Iceland for a few years, getting in trouble in the process. I am the teeniest bit of a false beginner with the language, having tried out the old version of IO and played on Livemocha at one time. All I remembered before starting up my studies again was a few colors, how to say "My name is", and some lyrics from a song sung by Jónsi. I hope I can be mature now and progress enough to be functionally fluent (C1, right?) in the language. Feel free to drop by my log if you've got tips or comments.
2 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Just checking in as a Norwegian learner, with some exposure to learning Swedish and Danish.
0 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

appelkoekje
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (intermediate)
Dutch & Norwegian (beginner)
Dreaming about Finnish, Icelandic and Polish

Postby appelkoekje » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 am

Another Norwegian learner checking in! Lykke til alle sammen!
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 pm

monolingualmemories wrote:

eido wrote:

Uncle Roger wrote:

appelkoekje wrote:

Well, I'm back, all! Do you all still want to join? If yes, like this post (so as not to bloat the thread) and I'll add names (and logs, where possible) to the first post.

Otherwise, how are we all doing? Those of you who follow my log - probably all of you? - know that I will be starting a certification course in Swedish this coming semester. I'm getting more and more excited for it! How are your studies coming along? What are your plans for the coming months?
3 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:24 am

Elenia wrote:Otherwise, how are we all doing? Those of you who follow my log - probably all of you? - know that I will be starting a certification course in Swedish this coming semester. I'm getting more and more excited for it! How are your studies coming along? What are your plans for the coming months?

I think I'm A0.5 in Icelandic right now. I haven't mentioned altogether what resources I use in my log, but I'll do so here (in no particular order):
  • Icelandic Online
  • Hitt og Þetta
  • Íslenska fyrir alla
  • Linguaphone
  • Colloquial Icelandic
  • Teach Yourself Icelandic
As a fellow forumer once said, there's just enough resources for this language that you're not bogged down and can actually get stuff done. There's always more I'd like to try out, but I actually have to finish using a text first. Of course, I use other things like dictionaries to learn and I hope they'll remain on the Internet forevermore. I've used them since I started learning the language as a teenager, so every time I use them it brings back sweet memories of curiosity and a bit oddly, naivete.

My plans for the next few months are to complete the third mentioned resource. There are four books with about ten short chapters each. I don't know what level they will take you to - maybe a low A2? My last resource to go through will be IO, the first mentioned resource, since it's grammar-heavy without being explanation-heavy. Everything else either explains just the right amount without weighing me down as a learner, or gives examples to make me absorb it (Linguaphone at times isn't kind to the learner, though). So until I've absorbed enough, I'll keep going through the other books until I understand more about cases, which seem to be what really get people. Pronunciation is of course a challenge at times, especially the 'au', 'ö', and 'll'. I want to be a B1 by this time next year, at least in passive skills, but that might be asking too much since life might get in the way. I have toyed with wanting to take summer classes in the country, but if I manage to get into a different job situation, that may no longer be a possibility. So I'm playing it by ear, as it were, and just trying to experiment with a new flavor of intrinsic motivation.
2 x

appelkoekje
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (intermediate)
Dutch & Norwegian (beginner)
Dreaming about Finnish, Icelandic and Polish

Postby appelkoekje » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 am

Hei!

Does anyone know a good online dictionary for Norwegian?
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 am

Hej Elenia and others, sæl og blessuð! I can't recall if I ever posted here before, so here I am declaring my allegiance to the speech of the frozen north.

Icelandic is my only active Scandilang, in which I'm staggering towards A2; many years ago I was probably A2 in Swedish but I haven't studied it seriously since then. I have watched pretty much all the scandi-dramas that have been on the BBC (in Danish, Swedish, both and Icelandic) if that counts towards my credentials!

It would be great if there were enough Ísl learners to keep a discussion / support group going on this thread (and heaven knows one needs all the support one can get...) but anyway count me in.
2 x
Corrections welcome here

Return to “Study Groups”