Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Elenia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 am

I didn't make this month's goal in time, but I did manage to watch a third of 'Mio, min Mio'. I'm not entirely sure whether it can really be counted - it's the adaptation of the book by Astrid Lindgren, but the film isn't originally Swedish. I'm watching a dub, and not a particularly good one.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Don't look to me for achievements. I lived in Norway over fifteen years before noticing that "last night" and "tonight" are the same in Norwegian. I probably still wouldn't have realized it had I not tried to refer to both in the same text message a few months ago.

Interesting. How do you say it in Norwegian? As a Swede, I assumed it was the same as in Swedish:

NO [SE] (EN)
i kveld [i kväll] (in evening)
i går kveld [i går kväll] (in yesterday evening)
Last edited by Stefan on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I was referring to "i natt" which can be ambiguous, but if we use "kveld" then it's the same as Swedish. Of course, there are various ways to say it if you want to be clearer, but it isn't usually a problem.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Some speakers of my dialect use "i nättras" for "last night" (perfectly analogous with vintras, våras, somras, höstas, julas, påskas etc.)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:05 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I was referring to "i natt" which can be ambiguous, but if we use "kveld" then it's the same as Swedish. Of course, there are various ways to say it if you want to be clearer, but it isn't usually a problem.

Ah, then I'm with you. Thinking about it, it's common to leave out går when referring to the previous night. Managed to find a tweet from Språkrådet mentioning the same conclusion as you; that it's usually understandable from context. Did a quick search in a newspaper database and noticed that they are using "i går natt" less for every year with "i natt" being used about ten times more now. Getting lazy. ;)

I apologise for going off topic.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm

I'm sure I've heard "i går natt," but seldom enough that it sounds a little strange. "I går kveld" sounds normal though.
0 x

jennw
Languages: English (N), Swedish (beginner), French (intermediate), Polish (beginner), German (beginner).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2070

Postby jennw » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi everyone!
I realise I'm a bit late to the game but I've just started a log for my Swedish studies: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2070. Is it OK if I join the team? I've been reading the boards here for a while and really appreciate some of the suggestions you have made on your logs so I hope I can contribute something useful too :)
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:19 pm

jennw wrote:Hi everyone!
I realise I'm a bit late to the game but I've just started a log for my Swedish studies: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2070. Is it OK if I join the team? I've been reading the boards here for a while and really appreciate some of the suggestions you have made on your logs so I hope I can contribute something useful too :)

You are more than welcome! This isn't a TAC group, so anyone can come and go as suits them. I'll put your name and log in the first post. Also, welcome to the forum!
0 x

jennw
Languages: English (N), Swedish (beginner), French (intermediate), Polish (beginner), German (beginner).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2070

Postby jennw » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Elenia wrote:
jennw wrote:Hi everyone!

You are more than welcome! This isn't a TAC group, so anyone can come and go as suits them. I'll put your name and log in the first post. Also, welcome to the forum!

Brilliant :) Thank you very much!
1 x

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

This might interest some of you. 100 Swedish dialects: http://swedia.ling.gu.se/info/litenkarta.html

Click on a province such as Skåne to get a closer look and then click on one of the circles such as Löderup to get four different versions of the dialect spoken at that location.

Äldre kvinna = older woman
Äldre man = older man
Yngre kvinna = younger woman
Yngre man = younger man

Compare older men in Norra Rörum, Borgå and Villberga.
6 x

Return to “Study Groups”