Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Elenia » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:12 am

Stefan wrote:Swedish public service recently (?) launched a new tool named Tekster β. You can use it to search through subtitles on SVT Play and then get direct links to the video position where the sentence is said.

I'm glad available data is getting used and I know people use similar tools for movies when making videos but I don't know how useful it's for language learning. Maybe you could use it to hear Swedish words in real life use or find talks about specific subjects within longer videos.

Thanks for that! It'd be a nice back up to something like forvo, getting to hear words and sentences in a more natural context.
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:58 am

Hi guys, being busy myself with the North Germanic quartet I am going to lurk around here.
As I stated in a couple of posts I love to work through language families and my focus is on comprehension.
As a first language of this branch, I'm busy with Danish. I'm relying on Clozemaster and Duolingo to build my core vocabulary. I will maybe integrate with Memrise later on.
My knowledge of English and Dutch is helping me a lot. I'm not going to build listening comprehension with the specific case of Danish, not now. I will probably put between each language another unrelated language (ex Latin, Esperanto) to give more time to my brain to digest the information acquired. I plan to fully study only Swedish once I am satisfied with my passive skills of each language.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am

Good luck Tristano :) one of my fellow volunteers is a Dane, and every now and then she speaks in Danish to me. Everyone else understands her just fine, but I have no clue most of the time. I can just about understand it when she says okay! I'm working on getting her to speak more Danish to me, as they are my neighbours now...
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:46 pm

As some of you - at least those lurking around in my log - might have noticed is that besides Finnish I also started Swedish, just because I have the opportunity to do so. :D

I'm still at the very beginning and so far it's just refreshingly easy. German and Finnish definitely help me a lot. (There are many Swedish loanwords in Finnish.) So I'm actually wondering: What will be the hard part?* (E.g. in German I'd go for the articles, in Spanish for the verbal system/tenses.)

*maybe except dialects, because strong local dialects are difficult in nearly every language.

------
What happend to Morgana?
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:04 pm

tiia wrote:As some of you - at least those lurking around in my log - might have noticed is that besides Finnish I also started Swedish, just because I have the opportunity to do so. :D

I'm still at the very beginning and so far it's just refreshingly easy. German and Finnish definitely help me a lot. (There are many Swedish loanwords in Finnish.) So I'm actually wondering: What will be the hard part?* (E.g. in German I'd go for the articles, in Spanish for the verbal system/tenses.)

*maybe except dialects, because strong local dialects are difficult in nearly every language.

------
What happend to Morgana?

I noticed! I'm super happy about it! :D I think Swedish will be pretty, if not very, easy for you as you have German and English in your linguistic background, as well as all the help from the Swedish loanwords in Finnish. Maybe pronunciation might require a little bit of extra concentration? And, of course, there are all those words which are nothing like those you find in German, English or Finnish!

(And of course the dialects. But you know that!)

I'm afraid I don't know what happened to Morgana :( I didn't realise her posts were all edited until you pointed it out.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Elenia wrote:
tiia wrote:

------
What happend to Morgana?

I'm afraid I don't know what happened to Morgana :( I didn't realise her posts were all edited until you pointed it out.

I don't know what it was before they were all edited, but it seems to have happened here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&start=10
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:36 am

Hm... thanks for the info @Systematiker.
It was irritating to see that post being deleted and all the other ones as well, because I had been reading through her log very recently.

Elenia wrote:I noticed! I'm super happy about it! :D I think Swedish will be pretty, if not very, easy for you as you have German and English in your linguistic background, as well as all the help from the Swedish loanwords in Finnish. Maybe pronunciation might require a little bit of extra concentration? And, of course, there are all those words which are nothing like those you find in German, English or Finnish!

(And of course the dialects. But you know that!)

Great, that one can make you happy so easily. :D

Pronounciation is a bit tricky indeed, but it's a lot more transparent than the English pronounciation, so I should be able to handle that. Especially the sj- and tj-sound is new, but in English there was the th. And I'm having a teacher, who is practicing the pronounciation with us.
Btw. right now we're at Chapter 4 of Rivstart A1+A2. End of January we should be at Chapter 9 or 10. And then I'll have to think what to do next with the language.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 pm

tiia wrote:Great, that one can make you happy so easily. :D

Pronounciation is a bit tricky indeed, but it's a lot more transparent than the English pronounciation, so I should be able to handle that. Especially the sj- and tj-sound is new, but in English there was the th. And I'm having a teacher, who is practicing the pronounciation with us.
Btw. right now we're at Chapter 4 of Rivstart A1+A2. End of January we should be at Chapter 9 or 10. And then I'll have to think what to do next with the language.

I'm easily pleased indeed! I can root around a bit in what I have and potentially provide you with suggestions, when the time is right. I hardly followed a stable course though :? but I will do my best :)
1 x

EarthBerry
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (B2) and Dutch (Beginner)

Postby EarthBerry » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 am

I'll also be lurking here as I've recently (and finally) gave in and took up Swedish. It's what I'm calling my 'hobby' language for now, as I'm taking it very slowly :D I've got a huge list of Swedish books I'd like to eventually get around to reading, so that's my main motivation right now! :lol:
3 x
Please feel free to correct any mistakes!
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Muhuhahaha! And so we multiply! Do you want your log to be added to the main post?
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”