French listening and oral production

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: French listening and oral production

Postby Carmody » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Thanks so much.

Mesmerizing for me both musically and linguistically.
1 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:04 am

Hello,

again I need your help, maybe you can figure out what he's saying (each file has only a few seconds)? Good listening exercise, I guess... :lol:
I only understand some parts. In the second file I think he says in the end "Kenza, ma copine, tu vas bien, hein?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:33 am

Espèce de sale arabe, i(ls) t'ont toujours pas appelé Daesh ? Tête de con, va !
Kenza, ma copine, tu vas bien ?

Mais arrête d'écouter ton frère, i(l) dit que des conneries.
Et va mettre ton voile. Elle est où ta burka là ?

Non, désolé, Madame, mais, la tête de ma mère, c'est vos enfants i(ls) m'ont insulté en premier. T'façon, vous savez très bien i(ls) sont mal élevés vos enfants.

Not textbook French for sure but that's how a large (growing?) segment of the population speaks. Especially conspicuous is the loss/reshaping of relative clauses (from "c'est lui qui..." to "c'est lui il...") and the loss of "que" after "vous savez".
3 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Wow, thank you!

guyome wrote:Not textbook French for sure but that's how a large (growing?) segment of the population speaks. Especially conspicuous is the loss/reshaping of relative clauses (from "c'est lui qui..." to "c'est lui il...") and the loss of "que" after "vous savez".

This is precisely the register that's still very hard for me, even after 15+ years of seriously studying French. I need to put in a bit more effort and focus even more on listening comprehension (I've been listening to French on a daily basis, sometimes for hours, for over 12 years now, but sometimes I still have a hard time understanding people, especially when they talk like that, extremely informal, super fast etc.).
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:25 pm

lingohot wrote:Wow, thank you!

guyome wrote:Not textbook French for sure but that's how a large (growing?) segment of the population speaks. Especially conspicuous is the loss/reshaping of relative clauses (from "c'est lui qui..." to "c'est lui il...") and the loss of "que" after "vous savez".

This is precisely the register that's still very hard for me, even after 15+ years of seriously studying French. I need to put in a bit more effort and focus even more on listening comprehension (I've been listening to French on a daily basis, sometimes for hours, for over 12 years now, but sometimes I still have a hard time understanding people, especially when they talk like that, extremely informal, super fast etc.).

You're not alone. On 3 I didn't catch the final part at all: 'T'façon, vous savez très bien i(ls) sont mal élevés vos enfants.' Also the word 'arrête' in number 2, it just disappears. The 'easiest' was number 1.

Guyome's ears are obviously far more attuned to this. Whenever I watch films with this kind of speech (the last was Tu mérites un amour on Arte) I skipped back a few times on some bits.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:44 am

Le Baron wrote:
lingohot wrote:Wow, thank you!

You're not alone. On 3 I didn't catch the final part at all: 'T'façon, vous savez très bien i(ls) sont mal élevés vos enfants.' Also the word 'arrête' in number 2, it just disappears. The 'easiest' was number 1.

Guyome's ears are obviously far more attuned to this. Whenever I watch films with this kind of speech (the last was Tu mérites un amour on Arte) I skipped back a few times on some bits.

8+ years French here and that was not easy. The third recording disappears into a swallowed garble of what seems Middle Eastern/North African accented French but remains a clearly audible yet definitely incomprehensible mess for me, the new kid on the block.

The more time I put into Norwegian lately (very little), the faster my French aural skills will grow, right? It's not my fault, blame the Norwegians!

Tnx Guyome for the transcripts:)
2 x

lingohot
Orange Belt

Postby lingohot » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:14 am

It is always humbling to encounter stuff like that. But it's also a good motivation to not give up and to continue studying. There's always new things to learn and things to improve, which is actually a good thing I guess (language learning can be a life-long task, wonderful). I will make audio cards from these extracts :)
0 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:45 pm

Glad I could help this time!
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:39 pm

Here's a bit of audio I snipped from a film earlier on. I left some context with speech that is easier to catch so it's not just dropping your ears right in, but the sentence to listen for is the final one. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

lingohot
Orange Belt

Postby lingohot » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:44 am

Not that easy, the whole bit actually. I had to listen several times.

Le Baron wrote:but the sentence to listen for is the final one. :)

As I understand it: Ça compte pas pour toi tout ce qui s'est passé ?

Maybe it's because I haven't finished my first coffee yet, but the very first sentence was difficult too. "J'aime tout ici" - first I understood something like "j'aime touize"... quoi ? :roll: :shock: The second sentence too, to be honest, "mais il faut qu'on" sounded to me like "une fois qu'on" first, but the subjunctive irritated me, so I listened again...

Edit: typos
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”