Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby geoffw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:05 pm

Chuala mé go bhfuil cúrsa nua de chuid Duolingo ag teacht amach inniú nó amárach -- cúrsa Breatnais atá ann. Ba chóir dúinn rud éigin a rá do Mike?

Mae'n ddrwg gen i, Mike! ;)
3 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Just saw this article on tuarisc.ie, wherein they begin reviewing computer-based language learning applications. This week is Transparent Language, and next week they promise to tell us about Rosetta Stone. I don't expect that anyone who can read the articles themselves is going to be too interested in either of those programs, but I thought it was an interesting article.

Personally, I have tried out Transparent Language myself to study Irish, but not as a rank beginner. I wasn't too impressed myself, but I'm pretty critical and particular when it comes to these things (like a lot of people who post here, I guess). The main virtue I saw in Transparent was that it's one of the best options for some less commonly-studied languages.
2 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:03 pm

geoffw wrote:Chuala mé go bhfuil cúrsa nua de chuid Duolingo ag teacht amach inniú nó amárach -- cúrsa Breatnais atá ann. Ba chóir dúinn rud éigin a rá do Mike?

Mae'n ddrwg gen i, Mike! ;)

Diolch Geoff. Google translate did ok with that one! I have read about that, and note that people seem to be getting excited about it.
However, I'm happy for the moment to stick with SSiW and listening to Radio Cymru, watching a bit of S4C, and doing a bit of reading (which I haven't been doing consistently enough, I must admit).
1 x

geoffw
Orange Belt

Postby geoffw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:30 pm

Montmorency wrote:Diolch Geoff. Google translate did ok with that one!

I'm just kidding around, of course--I actually looked ahead of time to check that Google Translate would give you at least the gist of what I was trying to say. :lol:
1 x

geoffw
Orange Belt

Postby geoffw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Montmorency wrote:
Well, one thought I had was to call it something like Team Goidelic-Brythonic.

Team "Minding Our Ps and Qs" :D
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:49 pm

2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

geoffw
Orange Belt

Postby geoffw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:02 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Inspired by this?

http://www.academia.edu/552746/Mind_You ... lar_Celtic

I don't believe I've read this paper before. I thought it was quite settled that there was a common ancestor Celtic language.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:40 pm

geoffw wrote:
I don't believe I've read this paper before. I thought it was quite settled that there was a common ancestor Celtic language.

I think the issue is more how the languages should be grouped, and thus how closely related the Goidelc and Britthonic languages are, rather than if there was a common ancestor or not. The paper linked above argues that they're closer than they would have been in the P-Q distinction.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:57 am

Hey guys,

I haven't forgotten you, but I'm very busy with my new job right now and I have next to no time for language learning. Which is very sad, because I got the confirmation yesterday that I will go to Ireland in June. I'll visit a friend in Cork for a week and maybe I'll even have a chance to visit the Kerry Gaeltacht, but more on that later in my log.

I have been thinking a lot about the February Challenge, but to no avail. Maybe, we could all recommend some good native materials to each other? High quality media in Celtic languages are pretty rare, so if everyone could recommend an outstanding book, movie, or series and report about it, that would be great. If you can do it in your TL, all the better (in that case, please include a translation to English)!

Also, did we agree on a team name? I remember Clan Lugus was in the lead. Is everybody fine with that?

Slán agus beannacht!
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:42 pm

This is not a direct response to Josquin's suggestions about media/book recommendations, but I happened to be looking at the list of BBC Radio Channels the other day, i.e.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio

(then look about 1/2 way down on the left for symbols of the radio stations. Actually, I'm sure I found a page the other day that showed these more clearly, but I can't find it at the moment).

Now, I had often wondered if there was any kind of BBC Irish language service aimed at Northern Ireland. After all, there are Irish speakers there, and Wales and Scotland get a good radio service from the BBC.

I noticed Radio Ulster, and thought that was an English language service, but I was intrigued to notice Radio Foyle, and wondered if it was Irish. Well, no, it isn't, but I then saw that both Radio Ulster and Radio Foyle carry a small amount of Irish language programming, i.e.

from the schedule:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radioulster/progra ... les#on-now

at 19:03 there is a programme called "Blas":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06zv2ds

Irish language magazine programme with stories, discussion, news and more, presented by Dáithí Ó Muirí.

And the Radio Foyle schedule has the same programme shown:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiofoyle/program ... les#on-now

(with, I assume, the same content. In fact the schedules look superficially very similar. Maybe there are some regional items which differ).

The edition of "Blas" that I linked to hasn't gone out yet, but it seems to be on every day, so you can find previous editions to listen to, if you wish. I wondered if you Irish speakers might find it interesting to compare "Northern" Irish to the kinds of Irish you've been listening to previously. Of course, Irish speakers in the north will no doubt be able to listen to and watch programmes from the Republic, if they wish, so there is no absolute "need" for an Irish language BBC service. But there may be political reasons why it has been deemed advisable to offer at least a token service.

...just noticed that there are a few podcasts:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p9f8 ... /downloads

In passing, some Scottish Gaelic podcasts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radionangaidheal

Gyda llaw, does gen i ddim problem efo'r enw "Clan Lugus".
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”