Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby Josquin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Dia daoibh, a chairde!

As the Gaeilgeoirí among us may or may not have noticed, a new edition of the Caighdeán Oifigiúil was released a few days ago. There has been some discussion about it, as additional synthetic forms that had been introduced by the 2012 Caighdeán are no longer officially "allowed". Understandably, this has upset speakers of the Munster dialect where synthetic forms are still widely in use.

For those of you who read Irish, here are two interesting articles: Sásta leis an gCaighdeán nua and Ní Gaolainn den dara grád í Gaolainn na Mumhan.

I must admit I needed the help of Google Translate to fully understand both articles, but they are quite interesting as they inform us about what native speakers think about the Official Standard.
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:23 pm

There has been a new article on the controversy concerning the new Caighdeán Oifigiúil: 'Bhíos' agus 'bhí mé

I thought you might be interested.
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 am

Josquin, I want to thank you for sharing those articles. I'm currently at an immersion program and don't have much time to find them so seeing them here helps. I'm also glad that people are discussing this. There's a lot of problems with Irish and it's current state that a lot of people don't want to discuss and try to ignore, so maybe this will help increase talk and actually push towards a solution to those problems. Otherwise I feel Irish will go extinct.

That said, I'm definitely on the 'bhíos' side of this debate. I think thy natives should be allowed to use their own dialect when being tested and such, and save the Caighdeán for learners only.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:17 am

How's everyone doing?

If I summarize my first seven months, I have read a number of comic books+one novel, and finished the Duolingo tree. For now, I just review the old stuff (it takes a couple of minutes), do Anki reps, and keep reading novels. That's my current daily regimen as well as my plan for the rest of the year. There's a tiny chance that I'll speak some Irish at music festivals this autumn.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:05 am

I'm actually doing not too badly. I finished Learning Irish on the weekend! :D

I haven't had the time yet, but I'll report in my log in more detail soon. The next step to (passive) fluency will be tackling native materials, but maybe I'll go through Gaeilge gan Stró Intermediate Level first before doing so.

Anyway, two volumes of Asterix in Irish are waiting to be read and there's another one I want to buy soon. ;)
3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:19 pm

I haven't been too bad at all, especially this last month. My teacher said I would pass the C1 diploma, which he teaches, but that the actual C1 test might be a bit more difficult. Still, it's a good compliment.

Josquin, congrats on finishing Learning Irish.
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:57 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Josquin, congrats on finishing Learning Irish.

Go raibh maith agat, a chara!
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Interesting article about the Irish language! Just in case, if any of you need some arguments for convincing people of the awesomeness of Irish. ;)

10 Reasons Why Irish Is an Absolutely Awesome Language

Short quote from the article:
Irish will give you a more direct line to Ireland than English ever could. [...] Through Irish, I have been able to bypass the tourist-board clichéd image of Ireland and look at the real thing behind the curtains. I have been able to meet interesting people I wouldn’t have met otherwise, to become involved in interesting projects I wouldn’t have become involved in otherwise, and made feel welcome like someone who belongs here rather than a stranger who’s just tolerated here.
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Interesting article about the history of Irish. More precisely, it shows the reasons for the decline of the Irish language and its development into a minority language. I thought you might be interested!

Article: Why Don't The Irish Speak Irish?

Slán agus beannacht! :)
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Sensation! The Welsh language has been revealed to be a massive hoax in order to confuse tourists! :shock: What you're gonna do now, Montmorency?! ;)

Article: Welsh language confirmed as a massive hoax
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”