Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Scribd is not a service I use, but I've ended up there now and then while looking for other things. At the moment, I think that these titles will keep me busy for a while:
Asterix an Gliaire
An Leon, an Bandraoi agus an Prios Éadaigh (C.S. Lewis)
Oileán an Órchiste (Robert Louis Stevenson)
Eachtra Eibhlíse i dTír na nIontas (Lewis Carroll)
Lastall den Scáthán agus a bhFuair Eilís Ann Roimpi (Lewis Carroll)

And then the eight books from the Open Doors collection mentioned by our own Teango here:
https://teango.wordpress.com/2011/02/13 ... ing-irish/
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Gaedheal92
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish

Postby Gaedheal92 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Dia dhaoibh uilig,

My name is Liam. I'm a 23 year old from the West of Ireland. English was the language I heard the most as a child, but my grandparents and all my relations on my maternal side spoke Irish. I gained fluency in the language through a combination of school work and immersion, learning the local dialect spoken by my mother's family. Right now I'm teaching in a Gaelscoil and therefore speak the language everyday with colleges and students alike.

I'll be throwing my lot in this year with Old Irish. I've been interested in this older form of the language for some time now. I can recognise a large amount of words based on Modern Irish but the grammar is too dense for me to decipher much at all. I plan to study it very slowly, one lesson each weekend with reviews during the week.

I look forward to following your logs, feel free to stop by mine too!

http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1860
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Gaedheal92 wrote:Right now I'm teaching in a Gaelscoil

Hi Gaedheal92! Since you're a Gaelscoil teacher, I have a question if you have time.

The resources I've enjoyed most and learned from most painlessly and effectively are early primary school readers in Irish for English speaking kids. Here are pics in my log of the ones I've been using. I seem to have reached that grandma age where the child-centered viewpoint feels charming rather than condescending. :lol:

Since colorful pictures alongside easy L2 text sticks in my head so well, I've become curious about the schoolbooks used at Gaelscolleanna. It looks like there's a national integrated curriculum (with ever-shifting acronyms), and I'm intrigued with the textbooks for it. I'm hunting for primary school books with many many pages of simple Irish text plus colorful pictures, hopefully about a wider variety of topics than the readers I have. Question sets for me to answer would be a bonus. Are these the books I want? What are the names the names of these series?

I've had great success ordering things from Litriocht. Knowing ahead of time what to search for is the trick, though.

And have a wonderful time with Old Irish! The one real-life friend who I talk languages with learned to read Old English, then shifted to Old Spanish when he lived in Mexico, and now Old French... It seems a great window to earlier stages of our cultures.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Fáilte, a Ghaedheal92! Good to see you here on the Celtic Team.

I think with four participants, the team has slowly taken shape. Of course, we're still open for other participants (maybe with a different Celtic TL than Irish?), but nevertheless I would like to get the team activity started with the January Challenge.

Also, I'm accepting suggestions for our team name. What about Team Táin or Team Cú Chulainn? Team Gaedhilge would be possible as well, if we stay all-Irish. The old orthography would indicate that we also have learners of Old Irish among us. Another idea would be Team Seamróg. What do you think?

January Challenge

Please write a self-introduction in your TL! (This will be Irish for all current team members. Gaedheal92, you don't have to write in Old Irish.) Tell us a little bit about yourself, how long and why you have been studying your TL, and so on. I know this is a very standard challenge for January, but it's great to get to know each other a little bit better.
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Josquin wrote:Fáilte, a Ghaedheal92! Good to see you here on the Celtic Team.

I think with four participants, the team has slowly taken shape. Of course, we're still open for other participants (maybe with a different Celtic TL than Irish?), but nevertheless I would like to get the team activity started with the January Challenge.

Also, I'm accepting suggestions for our team name. What about Team Táin or Team Cú Chulainn? Team Gaedhilge would be possible as well, if we stay all-Irish. The old orthography would indicate that we also have learners of Old Irish among us. Another idea would be Team Seamróg. What do you think?

January Challenge

Please write a self-introduction in your TL! (This will be Irish for all current team members. Gaedheal92, you don't have to write in Old Irish.) Tell us a little bit about yourself, how long and why you have been studying your TL, and so on. I know this is a very standard challenge for January, but it's great to get to know each other a little bit better.

Cú Chulainn is my preference, but perhaps we should try something more generic, assuming we're going to be open to latecomers who might want to join?

Also, should we do that challenge in our log or in this thread?
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm open for all kind of suggestions for the team name. If somebody can think of a catchy name that includes all Celtic languages, all the better! I remember that the first Celtic team on HTLAL was called Clan Lugus, Lugus being an ancient Celtic deity. If anyone can think of something similar, that would be great. I for one can't...

Generally speaking, it's up to you if you write the challenge in your log or in this thread. Some people even post their challenges twice. However, if you decide to post the text in your log, I'd be thankful for a notification in this thread, so I don't miss it. We're a small team now, but in bigger teams it's sometimes difficult to catch up with everybody's logs.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Gaedheal92
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish

Postby Gaedheal92 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:47 pm

tangleweeds wrote:
Gaedheal92 wrote:Right now I'm teaching in a Gaelscoil

Since colorful pictures alongside easy L2 text sticks in my head so well, I've become curious about the schoolbooks used at Gaelscolleanna. It looks like there's a national integrated curriculum (with ever-shifting acronyms), and I'm intrigued with the textbooks for it. I'm hunting for primary school books with many many pages of simple Irish text plus colorful pictures, hopefully about a wider variety of topics than the readers I have. Question sets for me to answer would be a bonus. Are these the books I want? What are the names the names of these series?

Hi!

The main resource used in Gaelscoileanna is Seideán Sí. It comprises of a teacher's manual, printable worksheets to support lessons, workbooks, recorded materials (story, song and poetry) as well as a selection of readers for each class level. The level of Irish is high when compared with other materials, this resource is designed for native speakers.

http://www.gaeilge.ie/about-foras-na-gaeilge/seidean-si/irish-language-scheme-primary-schools/?lang=en

http://www.gaeilge.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Rang_1_Osradharc.pdf

Some other series which come to mind are Bun go Barr, Sin É, Maith thú, Inis dom and Bualadh Bos. Sin É wouldn't be my preference to use with my class, but I seem to recall that it has many short stories with comprehension questions. On litríocht.ie there's a section dedicated to Seideán Sí which also includes (for some reason) some of the titles I mentioned above. A quick google search will lead you to the rest.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 pm

GA:
Dia daoibh, is mise Jeff (mar atá fhios agaibh). Thosaigh mé le Gaeilge an chéad uair sna na 90idí, le leabhar Cúrsa Gaeilge (Linguaphone) agus téipeanna. Cén fáth? Mar gheall ar an cheol (go háirithe an ceol traidisiúnta). Chomh maith le sin, tá suim mhór i dteangacha iasachta agam. Chaith mé seachtain mar "gaeilgeoir" i nGleann Cholm Cille i mí Iúil 2013.

Cad faoi díbh féin?

EN:
Hi all, I'm Jeff (as you know). I started with Irish the first in the 90s with the book Cúrsa Gaeilge (from Linguaphone), plus cassettes. Why? Because of the music (especially traditional music). As well as that, I have a great interest in foreign languages. I spent a week as an "Irish speaker" in the Gaeltacht of Glencolmcille in July 2013.

What about yourselves?

(Edit: added translation into English)
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 am

Deas bualadh leatsa (aríst) a Jeff. Is mise Galaxyrocker agus is as Meiriceá mé/dhom. Thosaigh mé leis an nGaeilge agus mé ar ollscoil. Thit mé i ngrá leíthe, agus chuaigh mé go dtí an Gaeltacht Chonnachta (An Cheathrú Rua) dhá uair chun rang a dhéanamh. Tá mé ag déanamh staidéir uirthi le ceithre bliana (cúig i mí Lúnasa) anuas. Anuraidh, d'éirigh An Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge líom, ach níor éirigh sé liom chomh maith is ba mhaith liom. I mbliana, tá fúm é a thóigeáil aríst, agus, le cúnamh Dé, beidh mé ag déanamh clár MA sa Nua-Ghaeilge ag OÉG.

Céard fúibse?

-------------------------------------------

Nice to meet you (again) Jeff. I'm Galaxyrocker and I'm from America. I started with Irish while I was in university. I fell in love with it (lit. with her, dialectal spelling) and I went to the Connacht Gaeltacht (Carraroe) twice in order to do a class. I've been studying it (I've been doing study on her) for four years (five in August) now. Last year, I passed the Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge, but I didn't do as good as I'd have liked. This year, I intend to take it again, and, hopefully (lit. with the help of god), I will be doing a MA in Modern Irish at NUIG.
Last edited by galaxyrocker on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Josquin wrote:I'm open for all kind of suggestions for the team name. If somebody can think of a catchy name that includes all Celtic languages, all the better! I remember that the first Celtic team on HTLAL was called Clan Lugus, Lugus being an ancient Celtic deity. If anyone can think of something similar, that would be great. I for one can't...

Generally speaking, it's up to you if you write the challenge in your log or in this thread. Some people even post their challenges twice. However, if you decide to post the text in your log, I'd be thankful for a notification in this thread, so I don't miss it. We're a small team now, but in bigger teams it's sometimes difficult to catch up with everybody's logs.

Josquin has gently talked me into joining this team, carrying the Welsh red dragon (y draig goch). I haven't formally registered yet (having avoided challenges in the past, I'm not sure of all the technicalities - don't worry, I'll work it out, but I'm just getting over a cold and my head isn't fully clear yet...:) (If it ever is).

However, I just thought I should put down my marker, as it were, in case you were set on an all-Irish team name (looking at some previous posts). I don't know about "catchy name" - to be honest, I'm not sure what's wrong with "Celtic Team" or perhaps "Clan Lugus 2016", but anyway, I do have a few thoughts which I will post hopefully before too long. :)
4 x

Return to “Study Groups”