Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: Celtic Team - Study Group

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:52 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
tangleweeds wrote:Question: Do we have an up to date list of Gaeilge learning resources?

Maybe not, but now and then I have a look at Teango's list of resources (mentioned on page 1 in this thread).

Irish resources has no info yet. Maybe there is a plan to restore a deleted post?

I couldn't find the list by Teango in this thread but it's a long, old thread so I probably just overlooked it.

That's really very unfortunate that the old Irish resource page fell victim to that issue (of which I only know a few piecemeal bits from posts after the fact) and I have no recollection of even seeing it before it was deleted, but I doubt restoring it is very high on rdearman's list of priorities.

There are resources listed on Unilang and some other forums, but most are terribly out of date with dead links and such. And I just do not come across a lot of resources for Irish learners, which is why I mainly just use native materials now. That's not much help to people not ready for native materials, sadly.

In related news, someone else asked me about Irish resources recently, so I was just casually looking around and learned that the Duolingo Irish course still is awaiting an update. It's been over 2 years since the new Duo Irish team started to work on it and I can't find any updates since. It's not even clear if anyone is still even working on it. Pity. I hate that that's probably the best free resource for beginners right now as it's unnecessarily difficult on many points for people unfamiliar with Celtic languages. Has anyone heard anything about this supposed update? It's been over a year since I quit Duo so I'm terribly out of the loop with anything that's been going on there in the past year.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:10 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I couldn't find the list by Teango in this thread but it's a long, old thread so I probably just overlooked it.

Page 1, 2nd post.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Cèid Donn wrote:I couldn't find the list by Teango in this thread but it's a long, old thread so I probably just overlooked it.

Page 1, 2nd post.

LOL, I guess I didn't look at the first page. Like, who starts at the beginning? :lol:
0 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:25 pm

I just noticed this recent conversation. If you're looking for Irish resources, I can copy-paste a blog post I made here on why *not* to use Duolingo (there's much better free material out there, it's just not as well known or as gamified as DL), or I can share the post itself.
2 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:44 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:I just noticed this recent conversation. If you're looking for Irish resources, I can copy-paste a blog post I made here on why *not* to use Duolingo (there's much better free material out there, it's just not as well known or as gamified as DL), or I can share the post itself.

Please do.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Alright. Here's the blog post: Why not Duolingo and what to use instead. I didn't want to copy it all out as the formatting wasn't done for BBCode, so that'd be a mess to adjust it.
1 x

khublei
Languages: Irish (N), English (N), Spanish (B1), Hindi (A1), Russian (A2).

Postby khublei » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 am

I'm new here (was on HTLAL about 10 years ago). Great to see people learning Celtic languages. I teach Irish in a secondary (high) school. I have an instagram page for teaching Irish, haven't used it much over the summer break. BUt I'd highly recommend Instagram for learning Irish. I've found some great resources on there. I find they mostly use #learnirish , #muinteoirgaeilge type tags so they're easy to find.

Go n-éirí libh / best of luck.
4 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:25 am

Exciting news! Say Something In... has finally begun work on Level 2 of Cornish! It looks like there are 5 lessons available so far. Not sure when they started it, I just randomly check every once in awhile. Perfect timing as my winter break just began.
5 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:50 pm

That's great news. I haven't checked out SSI for a while, although I have used their Welsh course in the past and it was very good. I've been meaning to get back to that, because I never finished the whole course there, but I keep getting distracted by other things.

I've also mentioned somewhere, here or elsewhere, that SSI has a short Manx course as well done by the same people who made LearnManx.com.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:33 am

Cèid Donn wrote:I've also mentioned somewhere, here or elsewhere, that SSI has a short Manx course as well done by the same people who made LearnManx.com.

Yes and it has a full 3 Levels! I look forward to giving it a go someday.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”