Celtic Team - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Celtic Team - Study Group

Postby Josquin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Fáilte! / Fàilte! / Failt! / Croeso! / Dynnargh dhywgh! / Degemer mat!

Hello and welcome to the Celtic Team!

This team is open to learners of all six Insular Celtic languages: Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Cornish, and Breton. Everyone who would like to become a member of this team, please create your personal log and inform me in this thread, so I can add the link to your log. I would also be thankful for a short self-introduction. This post will regularly be updated with the names, logs, and languages of our current members.

Members

Gaedheal92: Old Irish, German, Italian
galaxyrocker: Irish, Japanese
jeff_lindqvist: Irish, Wanderlust
Josquin: Irish, Russian, (Japanese)
Montmorency: Welsh, German

Last edited by Josquin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 am, edited 7 times in total.
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Re: Celtic Team - TAC 2016 - Team Thread

Postby Josquin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Last edited by Josquin on Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:49 pm

It's great to see we have a Celtic team in the TAC for the fourth year running (here are our past innings on HTLAL: 2013, 2014, and 2015). I sadly won't be able to join you guys officially this time around, as my focus will be on French this year, but I'll certainly drop by from time to time to keep up-to-date with your ongoing progress; in this respect, think of me as an embarrassing motley-coloured uncle rooting for you enthusiastically from the sidelines. Pob lwc (good luck) to everyone in the 2016 TAC challenge!
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 am

Hey all! This is probably going to be my main home this year, though I might flutter around Team Wanderlust and Team East Asian, assuming I stick with Japanese (my second choices are always very fickle!). In fact, i might even take a look at Welsh with SSIW and Duolingo (though I'm not a great fan of the latter).

But, any questions about Irish I'll be glad to answer. Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=757
1 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh!

Thanks, Teango, for wishing us good luck! I'm sorry you won't be part of the team this year, but obviously your language adventures have brought you to different shores than Ireland's picturesque cliff coast. Best of luck for your language endeavours with French, Hawaiian, or wherever your curiosity may lead you. If you ever feel like working on your cuid Gaeilge again, you'll be more than welcome here. Ádh mór ort!

Welcome, fáilte, and sé do bheatha, galaxyrocker! Good to see you on the team! I'm definitely looking forward to studying Irish with you this year. Let's hope some other keen Celticists will join our circle soon.

Some buneolas about me:

I'm a 31-year old German PhD student, doing a degree in musicology, with a keen interest in languages. I have been studying Irish for nearly three years now, having started in May 2013 when I first took a trip to Ireland. I only stayed for a week, but I immediately fell in love with the land, its people, and its culture. I bought a copy of Mícheál Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish in Dublin and since then I've been hooked. It took me some time to find an approach to Irish that suited me, as the learning materials for this language were somewhat different from what I was used to from bigger languages, but I've finally found some resources that I can work with. I'm an A2/shaky B1 now, but there's still a lot to learn. I hope 2016 will be the year when I finally reach a solid intermediate level in Irish.

Go n-éirí an t-ádh linn!
4 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:23 pm

I'll be following with this thread from the sidelines this year as my primary duty is to Team Wanderlust, but it's nice to to see familiar faces hear familiar voices hear from friends from last year.

I'm still formulating a maintenance strategy for Irish; for now, if I feel Gaeilge-neglect, I run a few sentences through my head to make sure I can still do it, and move on. I want this to be the year I defeat study guilt, and remember I'm doing all this for fun.
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi tangleweeds, good to see you here! I hope you'll keep us company throughout the year. And if you're hearing Irish sirens calling you, don't resist them... ;)

That said, I strongly invite everyone interested in this team to consider joining us. We're only two members by now, but we already have three to four interested observers. So, please, if you feel interest in this team, pluck up your courage and join us! We're glad about every new member.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi all, Josquin just talked me into this team. My main focus will be reading Irish (from comics to regular novels). I'll keep you posted here or elsewhere (I haven't started a proper log yet).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Céad míle fáilte, a Jeff! Great you're joining us! :D
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:44 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Hi all, Josquin just talked me into this team. My main focus will be reading Irish (from comics to regular novels). I'll keep you posted here or elsewhere (I haven't started a proper log yet).

If you're interested in reading, something you might want to look at is Scribd. I'm not sure about the availability outside of America, but they have a decent amount of Irish ebooks, that can be read on pretty much any device that supports apps, or in the browser.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”