Proficiency Test Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Proficiency Test Study Group

Postby Xenops » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:48 pm

Hello! Since there are not a lot of people besides myself here that plan to take the Norwegian proficiency test (maybe not Japanese either--but I could be wrong), so this is a general, all-languages study group with the specific goal of reaching B or C levels in a language, and be tested.

In a different post, reineke shared what the A through C levels are: CEFR Levels Grid

Also, I would like to have a space to share logs/blogs of people that have passed an upper level test, so if you know of any, please share them!

Success Logs/Blogs:

Side by Side Comparison of the German C2 and Italian C2 Exams
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Re: Proficiency Test Study Group

Postby BeaP » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 pm

I'm in. I'm preparing for the DELE C2 (Spanish) at the moment.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:50 pm

502 Bad Gateway

I feel like calling internet police. I'd like to note that there's a DELE/DALF group already and that I went through some trouble collecting resources and people's experiences. There's also a Proficiency, placement and practice tests resource thread that's strictly for resources. The two pages of resources were compiled solely by me. I made it a point in the past to ask people to please not post just to inform us that they were "in" as I've seen threads that were a long series of posts that someone was "in" and little else. In the past two years the DELE DALF threads didn't get many additional posts.

There's also a thread titled Language Tests: List, Advice, Feedback
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 200#p37200

which didn't go past page 2. The OP is a long standing board member who also announced that he was going to sit for the exam and that he would "assuredly come back" to the thread and his log to write about the experience. He may have mentioned it in his log as I see that that he lists Esperanto as C1. Only his log is 69 pages long and my search function is impaired. More importantly, and to his credit, he bumped the thread in 2017, 2019 and 2021 but no one else responded although people certainly did sit for exams since 2016.

The problem is that people prepare independently, occasionally comment in their logs or post about it elsewhere and these comments are interspersed with other unrelated notes making for difficult reading. It's not much better on more active boards/subredits or whatever you want to call them. Many exam references are really about hopes, fears etc. People who pass may leave a short paragraph that's sometimes potentially misleading and then they're outta here.

What may happen here is
a) mostly nothing
b)mostly you posting about the Norwegian exam
c) if you're (un)lucky an active poster also posting about say, TOPIK and having random posters comment about some of the most common exams and this thread being a pêle-mêle of things.

The exams are pretty specific and I'm not sure the knowledge is easily transferrable. Plus as you can see an identical thread didn't gain any traction. This is meant to be helpful. What you could do is start a Norwegian thread here or in the log area with an introductory post listing some basic information about the exam, prep materials and links to other people's experiences since most of useful information will be external. Invite others to contribute. If it gains traction, great. It can be transferred and linked under "Norwegian resources".
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 am

Reineke beat me to it and to my thread I started a while back. I never took the Italian (official) test, but did take the Italian DLPT. The only non-DLPT I've ever taken was the Esperanto skriba C1 test, which tests only writing and reading.

As there are only a handful of folks in this group/forum who can even take the DLPT, I won't talk about it in this group. If I ever take a non-DLPT proficiency test, I'll post here AND in my thread linked above. ;)
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

lemonbird
White Belt
Languages: Français québécois (N), Castellano (~C1), Português (~B1), 日本語(〜N4), Norsk (A0), LSQ (Langue des signes du Québec) (A0)

Postby lemonbird » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:34 am

Hi Xenops!

I would like to take the JLPT exams this year (I'm probably at the N4 level but I want to start slowly with N5) and I'm interested in taking a Norwegian exam as well, is it possible to be tested in North America? I looked quickly at Norskeprøve and Bergenstest but couldn't find info on where those tests are given.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”