Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Ingaræð wrote:
I've just realised that I haven't actually joined the study group yet, even though I meant to... :oops:

My language log is here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=4993

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm using Assimil FwT/NFWE/Using French, Pimsleur and FSI French Phonology. I might use FSI French Basic, FIA and the CLE series in the future.

Bonjour et bienvenue au groupe. J'ai ajouté votre nom au groupe. Nous sommes impatients de suivre vos progrès.
-Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

eebeejay
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1408

Postby eebeejay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:17 am

Cet weekend mes amis et moi aurons une fête de cabane à sucre. Nous ferons tire d'érable sur la neige et nous allons manger d'autres aliments québécoises, y compris tourtière, pouding chômeur, jambon et soupe de pois. La neige a fondu dehors, mais nous gardons une partie dans le congélateur.

This weekend my Quebecois friends and I are having a sugar shack party with all the traditional things that you'd eat in the springtime in Quebec when the maple sap starts running, like tourtiere, pouding chomeur, ham, pea soup and tire, which is maple taffy that you make on the snow.

We used to do this every year when we lived together so I'm looking forward to it.
4 x
Duolinguo:
French: 26 / 156
Super Challenge:
Books: 0 / 100
Movies: 0 / 100

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm

Does France have any laws controlling the pricing of books?

In the UK we used to have price controls on a number of things. Books were covered by something called the net book agreement
The Net Book Agreement (NBA) was a British fixed book price agreement between publishers and booksellers which set the prices at which books were to be sold to the public. It operated from 1900 until the 1990s when it was abandoned by some large bookshop chains and was then ruled illegal.
It's just french books seem to be comparatively expensive, and a brief scan of Amazon France did not show competing prices on new books from Amazon Marketplace vendors.
1 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 pm

DaveBee wrote:Does France have any laws controlling the pricing of books?

In the UK we used to have price controls on a number of things. Books were covered by something called the net book agreement
The Net Book Agreement (NBA) was a British fixed book price agreement between publishers and booksellers which set the prices at which books were to be sold to the public. It operated from 1900 until the 1990s when it was abandoned by some large bookshop chains and was then ruled illegal.
It's just french books seem to be comparatively expensive, and a brief scan of Amazon France did not show competing prices on new books from Amazon Marketplace vendors.

I actually remember hearing about some regulation regarding "le prix unique" for books in a recent political talk show I watched, it might be something about the publisher setting the price and it then being invariable across booksellers.
2 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:00 am

whatiftheblog wrote:
DaveBee wrote:Does France have any laws controlling the pricing of books?

I actually remember hearing about some regulation regarding "le prix unique" for books in a recent political talk show I watched, it might be something about the publisher setting the price and it then being invariable across booksellers.
Prix unique it is! Thank you. :-)

EDIT
Looking at the wikipedia article, Belgium, Canada and Switzerland do not have one of these no discounting laws. I shall have to investigate mail-order shops there.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 am

20th March was
Journée internationale de la francophonie est une célébration mondiale de l’Organisation internationale de la francophonie (OIF) ayant lieu le 20 mars de chaque année.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

looking up a translation this morning from Paris Match
Votre question me saoule monsieur, vous comprenez
I was a bit confused by the notion of "saoule" translating as "drunk", but Lingee.com tells me that saoule can mean both "drunk" and "bored".

Larousse.fr seems to insist on a spelling change "soûler", but then improves things by offering "drunk" and "dizzy".

Is saouler/soûler a degree of drunkeness? In England you could go from merry > drunk > plastered/legless.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Casser les pieds, gonfler, soûler, faire chier, emmerder...the list is rather long to say that sth/smo is boring you.
As for the degree of drunkeness: pompette (used only by women), éméché is rather lightly drunk, ivre and soûl is drunk and after that you have vocab common to drug abuse like défoncé, déchiré, pété or old expressions like "rond comme une queue de pelle". Bourré is very drunk.
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

DaveBee wrote:looking up a translation this morning from Paris Match
Votre question me saoule monsieur, vous comprenez
I was a bit confused by the notion of "saoule" translating as "drunk", but Lingee.com tells me that saoule can mean both "drunk" and "bored".

Larousse.fr seems to insist on a spelling change "soûler", but then improves things by offering "drunk" and "dizzy".

Is saouler/soûler a degree of drunkeness? In England you could go from merry > drunk > plastered/legless.

There is no difference, this verb has two spellings.
The circumflex indicates the deletion of the "a" mute letter.
4 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 am

Tom, j’ai un nouveau log. Je te remercie si tu peux l’inscrire dans ta liste.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5570
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”