Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:12 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Btw tomgosse, the new group is by no means aiming to splinter this brilliant French group! If you have any problems with this new group, please contact me, anyone for that matter. The idea is it's a niche C1 exam group, the rest of anything French should remain here. And I encourage members of the new group to post regular French things here, unrelated to the C1 exam.

I am very happy to hear about a new French group. Even though I am not near C1 I would like to be included. I wish you much success with it. :D

Bon courage mon ami,

Tom
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:16 pm

tomgosse wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Btw tomgosse, the new group is by no means aiming to splinter this brilliant French group! If you have any problems with this new group, please contact me, anyone for that matter. The idea is it's a niche C1 exam group, the rest of anything French should remain here. And I encourage members of the new group to post regular French things here, unrelated to the C1 exam.

I am very happy to hear about a new French group. Even though I am not near C1 I would like to be included. I wish you much success with it. :D

Bon courage mon ami,

Tom

No probs, you are very welcome tom!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:16 am

LesRonces wrote:I think i will hold off on joining - for now at least.

As i said, my levels are probably a mid-high B1 at the moment

I will add you as an honorary member, if you object just let me know.
1 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:27 am

If you are interested in a nice read about French (in English), I can recommend Lauren Collins' When in French: Love in a Second Language. Far from being just a breezy, romantic story about how Collins met her French husband, it's a well-researched and intelligently written book, with lots of wry observations about cultural differences. Collins touches quite a bit upon other languages, upon the difficulties of translation, and so forth. Any French learner will see a lot of their own experiences, frustrations, and joys echoed here.

Collins is a writer for the New Yorker, which published a condensed excerpt from the book when it came out last year. The excerpt is very much representative of the style and focus of the book at large, so if you like it, as I did, you'll probably find you like the book as well.
2 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 am

LesRonces wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Cool ! Thanks.

No probs. Do you have a link to your log?
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:21 am

LesRonces wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
LesRonces wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Cool ! Thanks.

No probs. Do you have a link to your log?

Nah i don't have one !!

No probs
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 am

An Arte TV documentary with good french subtitles that I can watch from the UK is L'enigme de la tombe celte (you need to select the subtitle version within the video player, version française - ST sourds/mal). There's also a version available on YouTube, but that doesn't have subs.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm

DaveBee wrote:An Arte TV documentary with good french subtitles that I can watch from the UK is L'enigme de la tombe celte (you need to select the subtitle version within the video player, version française - ST sourds/mal). There's also a version available on YouTube, but that doesn't have subs.

Thanks, DaveBee. These beautiful documentaries from Arte rarely fail to interest me.
As for its comprehensibility, let me say that I am understanding 90-95% of it on Youtube without the subtitles, though I do have to pay close attention. For the sake of comparison, last night I watched the very first episode of Hélène et les garçons and understood at best 10% (ten percent) of it. That's about par for my understanding of any French TV dramatic or comedy series without subs or transcripts.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:38 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
DaveBee wrote:An Arte TV documentary with good french subtitles that I can watch from the UK is L'enigme de la tombe celte (you need to select the subtitle version within the video player, version française - ST sourds/mal). There's also a version available on YouTube, but that doesn't have subs.

Thanks, DaveBee. These beautiful documentaries from Arte rarely fail to interest me.
As for its comprehensibility, let me say that I am understanding 90-95% of it on Youtube without the subtitles, though I do have to pay close attention. For the sake of comparison, last night I watched the very first episode of Hélène et les garçons and understood at best 10% (ten percent) of it. That's about par for my understanding of any French TV dramatic or comedy series without subs or transcripts.
They are good. I do boggle at the budgets the french/german archaeology departments seem to have though. There was one the other week where they were building a brand new castle! Not repairing, or renovating. Brand new, from quarrying the stone, to tiling the roof. (I learned chantier = building site :-) )
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:32 pm

I had a few errands to run this morning (des courses à faire) and, while enjoying a brief pause-café, flipped through "Le Journal de Montréal", a free copy of which can be found in practically every restaurant, café, salon de coiffeur, et cetera located in Québec. While I do not always share the political views and societal opinions of the chroniqueur, Mattieu Bock-Côté, I stand amongst those who recognize his impressive intellect. In any event, I found this morning's article so interesting that I tracked it down on the newspaper's website and have posted the LINK below for your edification and enjoyment:

Le Journal de Montréal
Mattieu Bock-Côté
Vive le vouvoiement !

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/06/29/vive-le-vouvoiement
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”