Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Bonjour mes amis,

Here is a recording of Julie Barlow speaking about her book The Bonjour Effect. I highly recommend reading the book.

À bientôt,
Tom
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:30 am

I am trying to understand the difference between two different French word usages that are similar when translated into English.

Exhibit #1
Il y avait là des femmes à la fin de l'adolescence.

There were ladies in their late teens.

Exhibit #2
Finalement et comme toujours, il y eut de remarquables propositions.

And there were, as always, wonderful suggestions made.

The above examples are excerpted from Linguee
http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais

Note:
I am currently reading Camus' La Peste and I find both usages being used in the book. So it is not simply a matter of one being Passé Simple and the other not.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Il y avait and il y eut are synonymous and that I should just get on with life. Right? :D
1 x

bpasseri
White Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
Advanced: Spanish, French
Intermediate: Italian, Portuguese
Beginner: Mandarin Chinese
Dabbled: Japanese, Greek, German, Esperanto
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7995

Postby bpasseri » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:46 am

Carmody wrote:I am trying to understand the difference between two different French word usages that are similar when translated into English.

Exhibit #1
Il y avait là des femmes à la fin de l'adolescence.

There were ladies in their late teens.

Exhibit #2
Finalement et comme toujours, il y eut de remarquables propositions.

And there were, as always, wonderful suggestions made.

The above examples are excerpted from Linguee
http://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais

Note:
I am currently reading Camus' La Peste and I find both usages being used in the book. So it is not simply a matter of one being Passé Simple and the other not.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Il y avait and il y eut are synonymous and that I should just get on with life. Right? :D

l'imparfait is still used in literature along with passé simpe, so the first is imparfait and the passé simple is roughly equivalent to passé composé in spoken speach, thus il y a eu
4 x
: 1900 / 2500 ES Books
: 390 / 4500 ES Movies

: 480 / 2500 FR Books
: 90 / 4500 FR Movies

: 0 / 2500 IT Books
: 0 / 4500 IT Movies

: 250 / 2500 PT Books
: 360 / 4500 PT Movies

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:46 am

Does anyone have any recommendations of detective novels or history books in French? I am generally more interested in recent history, and overall, the less sexist the better! I am also looking elsewhere, but I figured this group would have some useful suggestions.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:34 am

MamaPata wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations of detective novels or history books in French?

I've enjoyed the Maigret novels I've read and also Jean-Christophe Grangé. Maigret is fairly easy light reading whereas Grangé is pretty harsh, brutal and has quite a bit of unusual vocabulary. Very good though! As for history: Proper French history books tend to be quite dense and full of stats / dates - the academic style in France is somewhat on the unnecessarily complicated side -, so that's not exactly enjoyable reading. I'm sure there are more popularised history books, but I haven't really explored any of that yet. But then there are quite a bunch of history BDs that are really interesting and enjoyable. If you're interested in that sort of thing I can recommend Le Sursis + Le Vol du Corbeau (2+2 tomes) and I also enjoyed the La guerre des amants (3 tomes).
3 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am

MamaPata wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations of detective novels or history books in French? I am generally more interested in recent history, and overall, the less sexist the better! I am also looking elsewhere, but I figured this group would have some useful suggestions.
1. I've just read James Michener's Pologne, which takes key moments from Poland's history, and works them into a novel, 1270>1983. I liked it. The copy I have is ISBN:202006961X.

2. Regine Pernoud's Alienor d'Aquitaine is a straight history, but a good page turner too.
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:06 am

Carmody wrote:

The difference is in the aspect, and how the action is considered by the author/speaker
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:43 pm

My thanks to everyone for their patient and comprehensive answers.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:42 pm

MamaPata wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations of detective novels or history books in French? I am generally more interested in recent history, and overall, the less sexist the better! I am also looking elsewhere, but I figured this group would have some useful suggestions.

I second Blaurebell's recommendation of the Maigret novels. Simenon wrote dozens of them. I can also recommend the Bruno Cremer TV series Maigret (1991-2005). The sets I bought had English subtitles.
Fred Vargas is popular, too, but I am unfamiliar with her work.
Just a guess, but Agatha Christie seems to be a big hit on the continent, so probably translations of her work exist in French as well.
Finally, there is Sébastien Japrisot, who is IMHO quite a cut above most crime novelists and whose L'Été meurtrier remains one of my favorite novels, crime or otherwise. It does a riff on a world-famous novel by a world-famous writer, but I'm not going to say more. I don't recommend you start with this. There is a movie of this, too, but IMHO it is dreadful.

Edit 1 time to correct spelling. :oops:
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:

Finally, there is Sébastien Japrisot, who is IMHO quite a cut above most crime novelists and whose L'Été meurtrier remains one of my favorite novels, crime or otherwise. It does a riff on a world-famous novel by a world-famous writer, but I'm not going to say more. I don't recommend you start with this.
The Culturethèque library have some of Mr Japrisot's books.
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”