Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

Postby nooj » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:50 pm

By the way, if you're interested, here's a person with French citizenship, born in the European part of the country (because there are non-European parts of France where many people roll their rs, such as in French Polynesia), speaking with a rolled r. He uses both an alveolar tap [ɾ] and an alveolar trill [r], e.g. 1:37 'aux parrrrrroles'.

3 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:19 pm

What's also noteworthy is that before about the 40s or 50s a lot of popular singers still used a rolled r. Singers like Frehel, Damia and Bourvil even late on; even if they didn't talk like that. Maybe not Piaf, I've not listened to all her recordings. It must have been a leftover transferred through song performance and kept alive for a while.
1 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:01 am

nooj wrote:By the way, if you're interested, here's a person with French citizenship, born in the European part of the country (because there are non-European parts of France where many people roll their rs, such as in French Polynesia), speaking with a rolled r. He uses both an alveolar tap [ɾ] and an alveolar trill [r], e.g. 1:37 'aux parrrrrroles'.

I haven't listened to more than a few seconds, but the subtitles perhaps confirm a suspicion, but I could be completely wrong. For whatever reason, upon reading your post a part of me wondered whether or not the speaker was from the Basque region. I feel like part of me wonders whether many bicultural (French/Basque) speakers, especially the elder ones might speak this way. Is French his first language? Is he indeed Basque? Was he funtionally bilingual as a child? Does this pronunciation of the letter 'r' in fact stem from the influence of a potential second culture (and language), i.e. Le basque?
1 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:24 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
nooj wrote:By the way, if you're interested, here's a person with French citizenship, born in the European part of the country (because there are non-European parts of France where many people roll their rs, such as in French Polynesia), speaking with a rolled r. He uses both an alveolar tap [ɾ] and an alveolar trill [r], e.g. 1:37 'aux parrrrrroles'.

I haven't listened to more than a few seconds, but the subtitles perhaps confirm a suspicion, but I could be completely wrong. For whatever reason, upon reading your post a part of me wondered whether or not the speaker was from the Basque region. I feel like part of me wonders whether many bicultural (French/Basque) speakers, especially the elder ones might speak this way. Is French his first language? Is he indeed Basque? Was he funtionally bilingual as a child? Does this pronunciation of the letter 'r' in fact stem from the influence of a potential second culture (and language), i.e. Le basque?

The speaker is from Zuberoa, the far most eastern province of the Basque Country, in the North Basque Country. Some of the eldest generations do speak like this when they speak French, but they're not going to be more than a few thousand at this point. For the oldest generation of Basque speakers, French was usually the language with which they had their first contact in school.

Obviously if your first language, like Basque, has the alveolar tap and trill, it's more likely to leave an impact on your second language, but the alveolar tap and trill were part of French monolinguals' phonological inventory, even in places like Paris until the 19th century or even until the 20th century. And not just for theatre or song performances, but in everyday life.
4 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:37 pm

The alveolar tap/trill R survived longer in Quebec than in France, especially in more rural areas.

I kind of love the R variety within Portuguese. It's a change of pace from other big Romance languages that have all tended to stigmatize one or another type.
1 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:17 pm

kanewai wrote:I've started listening to a podcast that Les Voyageurs might enjoy: De Saint-Jacques à Compostelle by Hervé Pauchon.

He's a French actor who is walking from Paris to Santiago de Compostelle on the Camino de Tours y Paris. He just started walking on March 22, so it's still early in his journey. He posts a fifteen-minute episode each day with interviews of the people he's met along the way.
I'm currently reading the German edition of Régine Pernoud's biography of Richard the Lionheart, in chapter 6 she says:
Im Mittelalter, als die Pilger in Gruppen reisten und nicht wie in Palästina Angriffe fürchten mußten, beeilten sie sich auf der letzten Etappe immer besonders, und der, welcher als erster ankam und vor dem anderen die Türme von Santiago de Compostela oder die Hügel von Rom erblickte, wurde zum "Roy du Pèlerinage", König der Pilgerfahrt, ernannt - dieser Begriff ist zu einem Familiennamen geworden und gilt als Ursprung der Namen Roy, Rey oder Leroy, den so viele französische Familien tragen.

French translation at Deepl.com.
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:55 pm

I was listening to Europe 1 this morning, and heard an interview in which Chat GTP was discussed quite a bit. I found it interesting that both the interviewer and interviewee pronounced both "chat" and the letters "GTP" as they are pronounced in English. I think I've heard them both pronounced in a more French way before, but I can't be sure. How have you heard this pronounced in French media?
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:15 am

jeffers wrote:I was listening to Europe 1 this morning, and heard an interview in which Chat GTP was discussed quite a bit. I found it interesting that both the interviewer and interviewee pronounced both "chat" and the letters "GTP" as they are pronounced in English. I think I've heard them both pronounced in a more French way before, but I can't be sure. How have you heard this pronounced in French media?
I haven't heard that pronounced, but I often listen to French MMA coverage, and there English language terms like "KO" and "MMA" tend to be pronounced in a French manner, which in the past has had me relistening to them wondering what that word was! :-)
1 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:48 am

jeffers wrote:I was listening to Europe 1 this morning, and heard an interview in which Chat GTP was discussed quite a bit. I found it interesting that both the interviewer and interviewee pronounced both "chat" and the letters "GTP" as they are pronounced in English. I think I've heard them both pronounced in a more French way before, but I can't be sure. How have you heard this pronounced in French media?
I always hear "chat" pronounced as it is in English. As for GPT, I've only heard it pronounced as in French, I think...
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:11 am

DaveAgain wrote:
kanewai wrote:I've started listening to a podcast that Les Voyageurs might enjoy: De Saint-Jacques à Compostelle by Hervé Pauchon.

He's a French actor who is walking from Paris to Santiago de Compostelle on the Camino de Tours y Paris. He just started walking on March 22, so it's still early in his journey. He posts a fifteen-minute episode each day with interviews of the people he's met along the way.
I'm currently reading the German edition of Régine Pernoud's biography of Richard the Lionheart, in chapter 6 she says:
Im Mittelalter, als die Pilger in Gruppen reisten und nicht wie in Palästina Angriffe fürchten mußten, beeilten sie sich auf der letzten Etappe immer besonders, und der, welcher als erster ankam und vor dem anderen die Türme von Santiago de Compostela oder die Hügel von Rom erblickte, wurde zum "Roy du Pèlerinage", König der Pilgerfahrt, ernannt - dieser Begriff ist zu einem Familiennamen geworden und gilt als Ursprung der Namen Roy, Rey oder Leroy, den so viele französische Familien tragen.

French translation at Deepl.com.

Thank you, both of you :) I've added it to my French podcast library ;)
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”