Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 pm

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but have you considered an Editor? This would be someone who works constantly with writers and is used to correcting people. I'm not sure about French but I know in English these people typically charge per word.

They will correct anything you write, so you're free to make your own assignments. If you have problems then write an article for a magazine and have it corrected. Or short story or any piece of writing. An Editor would be happy to review the same price of work repeatedly, they often do this anyway.

If you need writing tasks or assignments, the writing challenge has a ton of them in the first post, and I am happy to provide a few million more off the top of my head. The problem is I can't correct you, so perhaps what you want here isn't one single person, but rather a couple? One to give tasks and assignments, another for corrections and feedback.

The average rate for a copy-editor in English is between 10 and 25 pounds sterling for 1000 words. Probably about the same in French and in Euros. So your 40 Euro would get 2000 words which is a fair amount of words!
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 pm

rdearman wrote:I am sure I have mentioned this before, but have you considered an Editor? This would be someone who works constantly with writers and is used to correcting people. I'm not sure about French but I know in English these people typically charge per word.

They will correct anything you write, so you're free to make your own assignments. If you have problems then write an article for a magazine and have it corrected. Or short story or any piece of writing. An Editor would be happy to review the same price of work repeatedly, they often do this anyway.

If you need writing tasks or assignments, the writing challenge has a ton of them in the first post, and I am happy to provide a few million more off the top of my head. The problem is I can't correct you, so perhaps what you want here isn't one single person, but rather a couple? One to give tasks and assignments, another for corrections and feedback.

The average rate for a copy-editor in English is between 10 and 25 pounds sterling for 1000 words. Probably about the same in French and in Euros. So your 40 Euro would get 2000 words which is a fair amount of words!

I tried to find one, following your good advice. And I failed. Perhaps I was looking wrong or at wrong websites. It is not hard to find them in English, but French ones yes. 2000 words per month would be great. And it would be very motivating, as I would definitely want to submit the best quality words possible to get the most for my money, the deepest "layer" or feedback possible, not to waste it on typoes.

I could do with that million ideas! :-D I'll look at that page, thanks.
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:55 am

Cavesa wrote:I tried to find one, following your good advice. And I failed. Perhaps I was looking wrong or at wrong websites. It is not hard to find them in English, but French ones yes. 2000 words per month would be great. And it would be very motivating, as I would definitely want to submit the best quality words possible to get the most for my money, the deepest "layer" or feedback possible, not to waste it on typoes.

I could do with that million ideas! :-D I'll look at that page, thanks.

Did you google "correction et réécriture" (+freelance/+relecture/+autoentrepreneur): there are a lot of results. What you're looking for is probably the "réécriture" part : a correct and natural reformulation of what you wrote.
Edit: Did you look on Upwork or its french equivalents?
6 x

JStich
Languages: English (Native), French (Verbally, B2/C1 - Written, maybe A2/B1), Russian (Beginner, nearly A1).

Postby JStich » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Salut!
C'est super de trouver un forum comme cette ici! J'ai déjà appris certaines trucs intéressantes.

Je parle le français très bien, mais je n'ai jamais appris comment écrire et ma compréhension de lecture peut être pauvre (bien, quand j'essayer d'écrire c'est normalement horriblement pauvre). Je pense que trop quand j'écris, donc je pense que c'est le plus gros problème.

Mais l'autre problème que j'ai, c'est que je parle le français belge! Et fortement belge. J'ai appris le français par l'immersion après que j'été laissé dans un petit village belge pendant un an à l'âge de 16 ans - j'étais le seul étranger, alors j'ai dû apprendre!

Donc, quand j'essaie d'apprendre des livres ou des sites avec 'le standard français', je suis perdu en essayant de traduire. Certaines personnes peuvent penser que cela est stupide, mais il fait vraiment une différence! Ce n'est pas seulement un vocabulaire différent (Exemple: soixante-dix devient septante et quatre-vingt-dix devient nonante), mais aussi des mots d'argot et de la grammaire. Prononciation aussi! Beaucoup des choses de le français belge sont semblables aux néerlandais ou flamands en matière de grammaire, de vocabulaire, et de prononciation. Parce que je suis anglophone, je trouve que ces choses rendent le français belge plus facile pour moi.

Avez-vous déjà rencontré des outils en français belge? En particulier pour apprendre à écrire ou à lire des exemples.
J'ai essayé d'apprendre d'autres francophones que je connais, mais ça tend à transformer à un argument sur la façon dont je dis/écrit que quelque chose est correct ... et alors nous trouvons que c'est un belgicisme, normalement!

Si vous êtes curieux de ce que je veux dire par 'belgicismes' ou , il y a des petits articles sur Wikipedia (ces liens du site sont en anglais):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgicism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_French

J'aime aussi le drôle livre "Comment parler le belge?" par Philippe Genion - mais c'est presque seulement pour le vocabulaire.
--

Hi there!
It's really neat to have found a forum like this! I've already learnt some interesting things just flicking through.

I speak French really well, but I never learnt how to write and my reading comprehension can be quite bad (well, when I try to write it's horrifically poor!). I think too much when I write in French, and I think that's my biggest problem.

But the other problem that I've got is that I speak Belgian French - and, believe you me, it is very Belgian! I learnt French by immersion after I was left in a little Belgian village for a year at 16 years old - I was the only foreigner, so I had to learn!

So, when I try to learn from books or websites with 'standardised French', I get lost in translation. Some people might think it silly, but it really makes a different! It's not just that there's a different vocabulary (Example: soixante-dix becomes septante and quatre-vingt-dix becomes nonante), but there's also the slang and the grammar. Pronunciation as well! A lot of Belgian French is similar to Dutch or Flemish in terms of grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Because I'm an anglophone, I find that these things actually make Belgian French easier for me.

Does anyone know about any learning tools in Belgian French? Particularly, things to learn how to write or reading examples.
I've tried learning from other Francophones that I know, but that normally turns into an argument about whether what I've said/written is something correct...and normally, we find that it's a Belgicism!

If you're curious about what I mean by 'Belgicisms' or Belgian French, there are a few little articles on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgicism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_French

I also really like the book "Comment parler le belge?" by Philippe Genion. It's comical, but it's mainly for vocabulary.
4 x
British English: 13 / 14
French : 9 / 14
Russian : 1 / 14

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:08 am

Many thanks for the heads up re Belgian French; greatly appreciated.

I read a lot of books by Amèlie Nothomb, so it is an important aspect to be aware of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9lie_Nothomb

Most people can't stand her books but I love them and am on the look out for French authors similar to her. If people have suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again.
2 x

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:16 am

I've only seen the movie "Stupeur et tremblements".

@Cavesa : If you need text corrections you can send them to me, I'll do it for free.
3 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:20 pm

I've just come across a 1919 book, Colloquial French: french fluency exercises by Harold Palmer.
These exercises are intended to help English people to increase their fluency in colloquial French. They are arranged on the lines of " Substitution Tables."

These look quite interesting, unfortunately the french is written using the phonetic alphabet, which I don't know! Perhaps you do. :-)
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Lecture giving an overview of the different methods used to teach foreign languages over the years. YouTube / Canal-U.tv

EDIT
Rennes University have this [2. Panorama des méthodologies] as one of a set of 12 videos, which appear to be part of a 'teach french as a foreign language' course.
3 x

Levims

Postby Levims » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:53 am

Guys, could you recommend classic french music? I was trying to look through the post but I didn't find it...
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:03 am

Levims wrote: ... classic french music ...

Je t'aime moi non plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlpDf6XX_j0

Je ne parlais pas le français à l'époque mais je n'avais pas besoin d'un interprète. Un vrai classique!

EDITED:
Spelling. Merde!
Last edited by Speakeasy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”