Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby James29 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:34 am

arthaey wrote:I'll be curious to hear how much your B1 Spanish helps you.

I am just barely getting going with French, but my Spanish has helped me an incredible amount. I think people underestimate how much easier L3 is than L2 if the two languages are somewhat related like French and Spanish. There are just so many things that overlap. There are simple concepts and idiomatic ways of saying things that seem so obvious in French because I know Spanish, but I was clueless when learning Spanish.
7 x

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:14 pm

James29 wrote:[I am just barely getting going with French, but my Spanish has helped me an incredible amount. I think people underestimate how much easier L3 is than L2 if the two languages are somewhat related like French and Spanish. There are just so many things that overlap. There are simple concepts and idiomatic ways of saying things that seem so obvious in French because I know Spanish, but I was clueless when learning Spanish.

Yes. I am basically cheating my way through French by mumbling Spanish words and hoping that the other person will catch on and tell me the correct way to say it.
3 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:17 pm

As I used to tell my wife, everything sounds better in French.

8 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Reminds me a bit of Lambert Wilson's classic scene in Matrix Reloaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfnmkgmUDW4
3 x

Doraemong's Pocket
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1) Korean (Beginner)

Postby Doraemong's Pocket » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:37 pm

This is an interesting one if anyone can help...

I'm trying to watch OSS 117 Le Caire, nid d'espions with French subtitles. However, the only sub files I've found have merely a few words every five minutes or so (even when looking at the contents of the .srt file).

Has anyone watched the film with full subtitles?

Going to try watching films/tv to see how much I can comprehend. Bref and Very Bad Blagues are short and the humour is probably over my head but it'll be an experience. I found Ratatouille in French on Youtube and will try to give that a go for repeated viewings, seemingly without subs.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm

Doraemong's Pocket wrote:This is an interesting one if anyone can help...

I'm trying to watch OSS 117 Le Caire, nid d'espions with French subtitles. However, the only sub files I've found have merely a few words every five minutes or so (even when looking at the contents of the .srt file).

Has anyone watched the film with full subtitles?

Going to try watching films/tv to see how much I can comprehend. Bref and Very Bad Blagues are short and the humour is probably over my head but it'll be an experience. I found Ratatouille in French on Youtube and will try to give that a go for repeated viewings, seemingly without subs.

I wish that I had an answer for you. I saw the preview on YouTube and it looks like a really funny film. Jean Dujardin looks just like Sean Connery in some scenes.

Are you looking for English subtitles or French subtitles? I would like to find a DVD with French subtitles that I could play in the U.S. (region 1) or a version where I can turn off English subtitles.

All the best,
Tom
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Doraemong's Pocket
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1) Korean (Beginner)

Postby Doraemong's Pocket » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:10 pm

French subtitles. All the sites seem to have the exact same ones which isn't helping much.

I've been watching Bref a bit tonight and it's pretty fast but the visual clues help a lot with what's going on. Very Bad Blagues seems a bit easier, though spoken word French isn't my strength.

Has anyone in this group used italki for video lessons? Recommended?
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Doraemong's Pocket wrote:Has anyone in this group used italki for video lessons? Recommended?

Briefly. A couple of lessons only. Not enough to be a reliable critic. Still it was useful, but I barely git off the ground, so to speak. A lot depends on your selected teacher imo. I much prefer speaking in person, but if you can't do that then italki is better than not talking at all with a native speaker- which really is a plus. It just felt a little stiffled or forced, but I may have relaxed with more sessions.
1 x

George
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1747

Postby George » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi everyone,

Just found the forum and the group today. Can I please join? I'm an absolute beginner at French. Is that okay?

George
6 x
: 1 / 90 Learn Spanish with Paul Noble for Beginners – Part 1: 1/3

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:02 pm

George wrote:Hi everyone,

Just found the forum and the group today. Can I please join? I'm an absolute beginner at French. Is that okay?

George

We welcome all levels. :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Study Groups”