Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:44 pm

Cécile Cassel, Catherine Deneuve, and Sara Giraudeau read Bonjour tristesse, in these Audible samples.
All sound pleasant enough to me.
My copy is read by Jacqueline Pagnol, voice also good. A tiny bit of Pagnol here in .
French is one of my favorite languages to listen to, and FWIW it does not sound flat to me.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:19 pm

Thanks so much for the movie clip.

Fascinating how we all hear the French language differently.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:25 pm

Obviously speakers add emotion, but the way it is structured makes ordinary stresses unusual. In ordinary speech (Parisian speech at least) the prosodic tendency to keep everything at one pitch - or a jump, sort of CC-FF-C until the final word, which drops, is a marked characteristic of French. Especially in children. In fact it's what makes French sound like French and doing it is probably beneficial. I find it sometimes very unmusical.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:52 pm

Out of pure interest how do both of you perceive the French in this video? This is what I would class as standard modern media French. Quite well enunciated and straightforward. That's my view of it at any rate.
The programme the section is taken from, 52 minutes, is Swiss - and as another of these sections with Castello-Lopes tells us, and which is a common stereotype, the Swiss speak marginally slower French. According to the research by the Belgian woman in that video, it's true. However Castello-Lopes is not Swiss, he's French..Parisian. Of Portuguese ancestry..

1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:18 am

A few items:

1-And most importantly, I am not at the advanced language level of you and MorktheFiddle. I am just a beginner.

2-I agree with your comments on the video.

3-I am a frequent listener to the Suisse Romande documentaries of Passe-moi les jumelles. I find that for the most part they are slow and clear.

You may wish to check them out here: https://www.youtube.com/c/Passemoilesjumelles/videos
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:28 am

People with Disney+ may be interested in these new original series on the platform: Weekend Family (in France but includes a Canadian main character), Oussekine, and Parallèles. Parallèles will perhaps appeal to fans of Dark.
3 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:46 pm

Carmody wrote:1-And most importantly, I am not at the advanced language level of you and MorktheFiddle. I am just a beginner.

'Beginner' seems to me a bit strong. I won't say I can gauge your level better than you can, but you might have a tendency to underestimate your ability. As a guard against complacency perhaps. Such students usually pleasantly surprise themselves in exams, where the opposite type of student is commonly disappointed.

I had a PM exchange with you previously and your written French was perfectly good.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Le Baron wrote:Out of pure interest how do both of you perceive the French in this video? This is what I would class as standard modern media French. Quite well enunciated and straightforward. That's my view of it at any rate.
Just as Carmody underrates his ability, he overrates mine. "Standard modern media French" is right on the mark about this man's speaking. It doea require my complete attention, but when it has it, I understand it well enough. I have not heard enough "street" Swiss French to compare it with French "street" French, which is incomprehensible to me.
The subject matter of the snippet, whether the Swiss national anthem is too slow, did amuse me. :)
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:17 pm

Many thanks for your kind words; they 'raineth' upon parched soil.

Just a heads up on the Passe-moi les jumelles. The podcasts are really exceptional for the poetic photography. Repeatedly, the photographic poetry surprises me. I had to see 2-3 of them for it to really sink in on me.

Enjoy
2 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:46 pm

I've started listening to a podcast that Les Voyageurs might enjoy: De Saint-Jacques à Compostelle by Hervé Pauchon.

He's a French actor who is walking from Paris to Santiago de Compostelle on the Camino de Tours y Paris. He just started walking on March 22, so it's still early in his journey. He posts a fifteen-minute episode each day with interviews of the people he's met along the way.

from the intro

Le 21 mars 2022, je vais partir de la tour Saint-Jacques à Paris, pour marcher jusqu'à Compostelle. 1500km avec un sac à dos, et un micro pour raconter l'aventure et poser une question aux marcheurs et aux sédentaires, quel est votre but? Marié, père de 5 enfants, 30 ans de radio, différents rôle au théâtre, au cinéma et à la télévision, je ne sais plus quel est mon but. Je vais partir à sa recherche. Après le chemin de Stevenson pour mes 40 ans, le Mont Blanc pour mes 50 ans, je vise Compostelle pour mes 60 ans.

-----------

my rough translation

On March 22, 2022 I am going to depart from the Saint-Jacques Tower in Paris, to walk to Compostelle. 1500km with a backpack, and a microphone to recount the adventure and to pose a question to the walkers and to the sedentary: what is your purpose? Married, father of 5 children, 30 years in radio, different roles in the theater, movies, and television - I no longer know what my purpose is. I am going to leave in search of it. After the Chemin de Stevenson for my 40th birthday, and Mont Blanc for my 50th, I aim for Compostelle for my 60th.

-----------

So far I'm really enjoying it. I walked from Le Puy en Velay about five years ago, so for me it's a very nostalgic experience. You get a lot of rural French accents, which can be trickier to understand, but in general it's easy enough to follow at an intermediate level. The first two weeks have felt more of a pleasant walk through rural France than a "camino" in the popular sense. He only met his first other pilgrim this morning, in Tours. I'm curious what his experience will be when he enters Spain and encounters hundreds of pilgrims.
9 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Return to “Study Groups”