Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby Ogrim » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 am

Stefan wrote:Do you know of any french sites with popular TV series and near perfect subtitles? I've gone through the resources without result. French public service has a few but their site is awful with mixed premium and free content while hiding anything that doesn't fit on the first page so it's difficult to navigate. I've found Brooklyn 99 and Avatar, le dernier maître de l'air which is nice. I'm toying with the idea of using subs2srs for listening comprehension but it's mostly down to finding a decent long show. Avatar would be a good option, covering 23+ hours, but I missed the first 47 episodes and only recorded the last 14.

The French-German channel Arte has a website with some subtitled programmes. It may not be exactly what you are looking for though, as Arte is pretty "high-brow", but they make a lot of quality TV and invest in film production as well. There may be geo-restrictions on what is available though.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

ronsat
Languages: English (n), French (conversational), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby ronsat » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:01 pm

I use the Arte addon to Kodi. That gives you quite a collection of Arte programs. The nature programs, in particular, are easy to follow, as they speak relatively slowly. The programs that are available appear to be the ones shown live on the Arte channel over the past few weeks - so there is a constant churn in the list of programs available.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:50 pm

rePlay.fr seems to be a goldmine for people using subs2srs or following TV series. They claim to index 46 channels but the main thing is their system for subscriptions. You can search for a keyword or a specific show and save it as a subscription. Then you'll get a notification by mail or RSS whenever a new episode is released. It should save a lot of time and you never miss an episode.

The challenge is to find new shows and subscribe from the first episode. There is a vast archive with shows such as Les aventures de Tintin but the episodes are long gone (02/06/2016) and probably won't return for years.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Excellent post gathering many shows into one convenient place.
A couple of notes.
1. The videos don't work unless ad protection is disabled. I disabled ad-aware on Foxpro and refreshed my browser, but it didn't work. Probably had to restart Foxpro. Not an option, so I went with Chrome, which I don't use with ad protection.
2. Some of the videos require membership in myTF1, but it's free and easy to join.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:1. The videos don't work unless ad protection is disabled. I disabled ad-aware on Foxpro and refreshed my browser, but it didn't work. Probably had to restart Foxpro. Not an option, so I went with Chrome, which I don't use with ad protection.

I simply whitelisted the redirect page in uBlock Origin:

Code: Select all

http://www.replay.fr/players/*

It blocks ads on all other pages while still allowing me to redirect.
2 x

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 am

I apologise for going on about this but today rePlay notified me about new uploads. First I thought it was a catch-up with old episodes since I subscribed to a bunch of shows but apparently france 4 started over with the first season of Avatar, le dernier maître de l'air. 23 minutes and 2200 words (750 unique) á 61 episodes equals 23+ hours of TV and 134 000 words with perfect subtitles (I assume), the same characters and storyline. You can't extrapolate the data like this but I still reckon it to be a goldmine. They upload three new episodes daily and they are only available for six days so you need to keep up if you want them all.

emk used the same show for learning Spanish through subs2srs and his log is filled with resources which reminds me that I should re-read it.
5 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:09 am

Everyone has their own favorite native materials to view. For me nature documentaries can be a great source. The following is one of the best animal documentaries I have ever seen. It is in French.

2015Film Documentaire Français Complet La vie secrète des prédateurs Documentaire HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dSVicdkhl8
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 am

Carmody wrote:Everyone has their own favorite native materials to view. For me nature documentaries can be a great source. The following is one of the best animal documentaries I have ever seen. It is in French.

2015Film Documentaire Français Complet La vie secrète des prédateurs Documentaire HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dSVicdkhl8

Nice, I will get some use out of this, thanks Carmody!
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

French consulate Boston is looking for summer help

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

The French Consulate in Boston, MA is looking for summer help. If you, or someone you know, is bi-lingual please let them know about this. The job is helping people get visas for France during the busy tourist season. Consul General of France.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:08 pm

An invitation to work in France. The French President, Emmanuel Macron, is inviting people with scientific backgrounds to come work in France.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Return to “Study Groups”