Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Klara
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1),
B-ish: French, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Italian
A-ish: Russian, Swedish, Latin, Polish, Portuguese

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby Klara » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:41 pm

It has been a while, but I had nothing special to report. Apart from ordinary studying and a wonderful trip to Tokyo around New Year, I was looking forward to February 23. That was the date of the DELF A2 exam.

This time we were 7 candidates, two women and five young girls, just 12 years old. Although I hadn't been late - it was five minutes to 9 o'clock, the exam started the moment I sat down on the chair. That was a surprise and I did miss the first seconds. I also had to ask for some scrap paper. The listening part was really fast and I didn't get everything right. The woman next to me told me after the exam that she could hardly understand a word because it was so fast. But the sound quality was excellent.

Next came reading comprehension, no problems there. And then writing production, two topics, each in about 70 words. First we had to write a blog entry about an extraordinary birthday. And then we had to accept an invitation to a birthday party in La Rochelle. I had just finished the blog entry when the supervisor announced that we had ten minutes left. Most of the girls suddenly handed their papers in and left the room. I was shocked and wrote like crazy, but then the supervisor apologized and told us, that he has mixed up the time. There was half an hour to go, now everything was fine again … And with that the Épreuve écrite was done.

After a 20 minute break, the Épreuve orale started, I was first. Like last time, I got the instructions in the first room. The three parts of the oral A2 exam were présentation, then monologue suivi and finally jeu de rôle. For the second part I could choose between"My favourite teacher" and "Public transport in my city", for the role play "Organising a dinner for a group" and "Renting an appartment in Bruxelles". In both cases I choose the latter one.

Then I was lead to the next room for preparation. After ten minutes the examiner picked me up and guided me to the third room. There, another examiner was waiting. So, this time, there were two of them. The presentation went smoothly - I was of course prepared, the other two parts followed and after eight minutes it was over.

What a day … although I was a bit exhausted, I did enjoy the whole exam. 8-)

And today I already got the "Attestation de réussite" - 90,5% as you can see below. Last year they forgot to send me the Attestation for DELF A1, but now I got it too - result: 95% :D

Although I don't "need" these certifications, they are immensely helpful to me. I am more likely to stay within a certain level in all skills instead of moving forward too fast. Getting good results gives me also a huge motivational push for the next level. That's why I am now on the way to DELF B1

A2reussite.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
11 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Klara wrote:
What a day … although I was a bit exhausted, I did enjoy the whole exam. 8-)

And today I already got the "Attestation de réussite" - 90,5% as you can see below. Last year they forgot to send me the Attestation for DELF A1, but now I got it too - result: 95% :D

Although I don't "need" these certifications, they are immensely helpful to me. I am more likely to stay within a certain level in all skills instead of moving forward too fast. Getting good results gives me also a huge motivational push for the next level. That's why I am now on the way to DELF B1
Well done Klara! :-)

(I quite envy you your Tokyo trip. I always picture it as Bladerunner-the-city.)
1 x

iwanttolearn
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 3&start=10

Postby iwanttolearn » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Fell off the wagon for a bit.

But I'm back to learning

Watching season 1 of Les Revenants
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:31 am

Klara wrote:

The beginning of this post gave me bad vibes, but then, no, not bad news, splendid news. Congratulations and well done!"
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Klara
Yellow Belt

Postby Klara » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:33 am

@DaveAgain: Thank you! And yes, Tokyo is a fascinating metropole :o

@MorkTheFiddle: Thanks also to you! You are really kind :D

Maintenant, je vais à la cuisine et bois un café, I only have to choose the mug:

mugs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 pm

I never knew this but FranceCulture has some programs that have basically a transcription as part of the accompanying text. This is really useful for people that want to listen to actual native French content but want to double-check their comprehension. They're really useful if you like/want to use dictation as part of your strategy in improving your listening comprehension.
https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... -bellanger This looks really interesting and it's usually around a little over 3 minutes long on average. It's great for intensive listening without feeling completely mentally drained by the end of it.
https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... es-idees-0 Same for this one but it's 5 minutes long instead.
5 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 am

Just a reminder that there is just under 24 hours left to vote in the poll to decide what the forum book group reads in April.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 23&t=10232

There is one book originally written in French.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Klara
Yellow Belt

Postby Klara » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Sarafina wrote:I never knew this but FranceCulture has some programs that have basically a transcription as part of the accompanying text. This is really useful for people that want to listen to actual native French content but want to double-check their comprehension. They're really useful if you like/want to use dictation as part of your strategy in improving your listening comprehension.
https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... -bellanger This looks really interesting and it's usually around a little over 3 minutes long on average. It's great for intensive listening without feeling completely mentally drained by the end of it.
https://www.franceculture.fr/emissions/ ... es-idees-0 Same for this one but it's 5 minutes long instead.

Not only FranceCulture but also FranceInfo or RFI have quite often such partial transcriptions with their programs. To improve my listening comprehension I choose the podcast "Le brief éco": https://www.francetvinfo.fr/replay-radio/le-brief-eco/

After reading the headline only, I listen attentively to the two and a half minute program, just following the flow of the language. Then I read the text, make sure that I understand roughly each paragraph. I put only the most interesting words or phrases with a translation into my vocabulary software (Langenscheidt, German product). Then I read the text aloud. Finally, I listen again to the podcast with closed eyes. All in all, I need about half an hour to get through.

The program is broadcasted Monday to Friday and I have been listening to it for about two weeks. But the result was amazing, although totally unexpected at this early stage. Last Friday, I started listening as usual and something really odd happened. Out of the blue, I understood nearly every single word! :o That was quite a strange experience, because I heard an endless word-flow in high-speed, but could also identify the single words within this flow, even if I didn't know the exact meaning.

Frankly, I hardly could believe it. :? So, I slept on it and the day after, I listend again and then to another éco-podcast from the first week, same result. Then I tried RFI Français facile, which I found last year still to be too fast for me. First thing that came into my mind: What a comfortable rate of speaking. And I did not miss a single word. Only then I allowed myself to be over the moon. :D
Today, I listened the whole morning to French radio, just because I could understand it - I know, this is odd. :geek:

That said, I am not a high-flyer, but a diligent student of the French language. Last August I picked it up as a false beginner - I did some learning in 2014. Each day I spend one to two hours on my core learning material - textbook in French/German, extra grammar and the above mentioned vocabulary software. So, I have a solid foundation in grammar and also a solid word pool.

On RFI Savoirs I did the placement test and the result said: you are definitely A2 and on the way to B1, which is absolutely correct. :!:
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Klara wrote:Last Friday, I started listening as usual and something really odd happened. Out of the blue, I understood nearly every single word! :o That was quite a strange experience, because I heard an endless word-flow in high-speed, but could also identify the single words within this flow, even if I didn't know the exact meaning.

Frankly, I hardly could believe it. :? So, I slept on it and the day after, I listend again and then to another éco-podcast from the first week, same result. Then I tried RFI Français facile, which I found last year still to be too fast for me. First thing that came into my mind: What a comfortable rate of speaking. And I did not miss a single word. Only then I allowed myself to be over the moon. :D
Today, I listened the whole morning to French radio, just because I could understand it - I know, this is odd. :geek:
Welcome to the Club! The same thing has happened to me listening to an audiobook (though faster speeds of speaking continue to elude me).
And thanks for recommending RFI Français facile!
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:19 am

Today I've learnt a new-to-me phrase.

"n'avoir que faire" > I don't care.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/n%E2%80% ... _que_faire

I came across it in a play called 'occupe toi d'Amelie' by Feydeau.

"Je n'ai que faire dans cette entrevue de famille! " > deepl.com translation: "I don't care about this family interview!"

"Oh! mais je n'en ai que faire! " > deepl.com translation: "Oh! But I don't care!"

EDIT
N'avoir que faire de quelqu'un ou de quelque chose, N'en avoir aucun besoin.
Si vous n'avez que faire de ce livre, prêtez-le-moi. Ce sont des bibelots dont je n'ai que faire. Il n'a plus que faire d'étudier, il en sait assez. Je n'ai que faire de vous présentement, allez où vous voudrez.

On le dit aussi Pour marquer qu'on ne fait nul cas d'une personne ou d'une chose.
Je n'ai que faire de lui ni de ses visites.

On se sert encore de la même manière de parler Pour faire connaître qu'on désapprouve quelque chose, qu'on le trouve mauvais.
Je n'ai que faire de vos discours, de vos réclamations.

http://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/academie8/faire
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”