Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby Carmody » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:09 pm

rdearman

I think you make a very good point and your book purchasing practice sounds very sensible. However, Benny, who I never read now that I have discovered this Forum, suggested that often people buy books and then think that by merely having them around the house they will somehow magically through a type of "osmosis" become better learners of the language without even using the books or other media. If you are using the the books as you do then splendid, but to acquire and then not apply oneself in using them and to expect osmosis to magically kick in is not good for the learning process, or the bank account. .

For the record, I believe this Forum is truly fantastic and am so grateful for all it offers. If I fail to learn French then it is my own fault with no one to blame. But it is only going to happen if I apply myself rather than expect osmosis to do it for me. I would add that I am so convinced in the wisdom of using this Forum as the major tool for learning-together of course with French in Action, etc., readings and podcasts,etc., that now I would not sign up for actual classroom learning. There are just too many other tools that are better ways to learn than to pay high costs for classroom learning.IMO.

Thanks again for your great work on behalf of us all.
Last edited by Carmody on Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:41 pm

...but Gene, you're forgetting yourself. (A joke only myself around here appreciate I'm afraid, but that doesn't stop me from writing it).

There's osmosis and then there's osmosis and then there's osmosis. Of course you don't learn a language simply by owning a book in said so, but having a book lying around might have an interesting effect anyways. Whether that's a positive or a negative effect depends on the person of course .

Edit.

I forgot to add the reason French ended up being my 3. language is that I had a bunch of books in or about French that I had inherited and were lying about my house when I started thinking about learning languages again.
Last edited by Tillumadoguenirurm on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:56 am

I was just browsing MOOCS and just found this one that you all might find interesting

https://www.coursera.org/learn/etudier-en-france

Ce cours de français de niveau intermédiaire B1/B2, conforme aux exigences du Cadre européen de Référence pour les Langues, s’inscrit dans le double dispositif “former avec le numérique”et “langue et interculturalité” mis en place par l’Université Paris Saclay. Il s’adresse à tous les étudiants souhaitant poursuivre leurs études supérieures en France. Il leur permettra non seulement d’avoir le niveau requis en français pour suivre des cours dans le système supérieur français en termes de compétences linguistiques, mais les aidera à s’adapter à leur nouvel environnement dans les meilleures conditions.

Ce cours propose en effet une immersion dans l’univers étudiant à travers des vidéos de cours, des textes de multiples formats, de courts extraits de films et de vidéos authentiques qui donnent la parole à des étudiants français ou étrangers vivant en France. Les étudiants pourront ainsi travailler toutes les compétences (compréhension orale et écrite, expression orale et écrite, grammaire et vocabulaire), puis tester ensuite leurs acquis grâce aux nombreux quiz proposés et, chaque semaine, ils auront aussi la possibilité de participer aux débats et aux discussions organisés sur le forum.

Découvrir la vie en France et dans le monde francophone à travers ses cultures, ses littératures, ses films, ses journaux télévisés et sa langue (standard et plus familière) et comprendre le système d’enseignement supérieur français (assister à un cours magistral, comprendre le fonctionnement de l’évaluation …) : voici quelques-uns des enjeux de ce cours. Ses objectifs sont donc langagiers, mais aussi culturels et pratiques !

Looking at the syllabus, it seems to have plenty of videos and reading exercises. I think I might check it out when it starts.
Last edited by Fortheo on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:02 am

Thanks for the reminder that Coursera exists/has courses in French! I tried a few on EdX a while back and got kind of bored with the content, but I just signed up for two GIS classes and two probabilities classes in French on Coursera, so we'll see how that goes... :D
2 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:22 am

whatiftheblog wrote:Thanks for the reminder that Coursera exists/has courses in French! I tried a few on EdX a while back and got kind of bored with the content, but I just signed up for two GIS classes and two probabilities classes in French on Coursera, so we'll see how that goes... :D

Yeah, I tend to not last long with MOOCs either, but maybe someone else with benefit from them.
1 x

iAnonGuy
Languages: English (N), French (B1)

Postby iAnonGuy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:24 am

Carmody wrote:rdearman

I think you make a very good point and your book purchasing practice sounds very sensible. However, Benny, who I never read now that I have discovered this Forum, suggested that often people buy books and then think that by merely having them around the house they will somehow magically through a type of "osmosis" become better learners of the language without even using the books or other media. If you are using the the books as you do then splendid, but to acquire and then not apply oneself in using them and to expect osmosis to magically kick in is not good for the learning process, or the bank account. .

For the record, I believe this Forum is truly fantastic and am so grateful for all it offers. If I fail to learn French then it is my own fault with no one to blame. But it is only going to happen if I apply myself rather than expect osmosis to do it for me. I would add that I am so convinced in the wisdom of using this Forum as the major tool for learning-together of course with French in Action, etc., readings and podcasts,etc., that now I would not sign up for actual classroom learning. There are just too many other tools that are better ways to learn than to pay high costs for classroom learning.IMO.

Thanks again for your great work on behalf of us all.

That "suggestion" is insane. Do you have a quote?

People buy this stuff intending to use it, and the material ends up boring them, demotivating them, or simply not working out for them (doesn't mesh with their learning style).

The internet is sort of at fault. Back in the day, people got what was available to them and used it. Now, people are reading reviews and see people pushing their favorite courses. This leads to more people buying redundant materials they won't use for various reasons.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Looking for some christmassy french practise this morning, I came across a french language dramatisation of A Christmas Carol (un chant de noël), by an italian theatre company. Joyeaux Noël! :-)
2 x

Voxel
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (I), Russian (?), Japanese (?)

Postby Voxel » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:46 pm

I wish you a Merry Christmas from France!
3 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Joyeux noël à tous.
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:08 pm

To be honest, I didn't achieve much in French this year (you can find my end-of-year summary here if interested), as other amazing things in my life took over, but I did at least make some baby steps towards my initial goals and filled up a Christmas sack-load of French books to dive into in the new year. I hope all voyageurs go from strength to strength in French in 2017 (thanks once again to our fearless leader tomgosse and everyone else who contributed here over the last year!), et ma nouvelle petite famille et moi voudrions souhaiter un Joyeux Noël et Bonne Année à tout le monde!!
6 x

Return to “Study Groups”