Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2017 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

wwiding wrote:
You're right to be concerned. I'm lucky in that I can borrow the physical copies from my friend whenever I may need them. I've emailed the college of middlebury to see if the site restriction was accidental or not. I've also inquired as to the current copyright of the media. Hopefully I recieve answers soon. I've also discovered that while my local library does not have the French in Action tapes, the university I attended does but they are not allowed to be removed from campus grounds. I've also seen the audio on ebay and other used sites from time to time for decent prices but usually they are overprices used copies.

Ask your local library if they can obtain the tapes/cd's through inter-library loan.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 pm

rdearman wrote:
wwiding wrote:I got the audio from a friend who ripped it from source. I'm not sure of the copyright laws. I'm going to email the site admins this weekend when I get some time off. I'll let every one know when I recieve a response.

If this stuff was in the public domain already, and it might have been if it was available for download on a legitimate site, then a copy from your friend would be legal. Basically because things in the public domain are in the public domain. However, if it is still under copyright in your country, then a copy isn't legal. You could however borrow the source from your friend and return it later, or buy it off them.

It is my understanding that all of the French In Action material (books, workbooks, cd's, and dvd's) are still in copyright in the United States. :cry: I believe the copyright holder is Yale University Press.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Postby wwiding » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:35 pm

tomgosse wrote:
wwiding wrote:
You're right to be concerned. I'm lucky in that I can borrow the physical copies from my friend whenever I may need them. I've emailed the college of middlebury to see if the site restriction was accidental or not. I've also inquired as to the current copyright of the media. Hopefully I recieve answers soon. I've also discovered that while my local library does not have the French in Action tapes, the university I attended does but they are not allowed to be removed from campus grounds. I've also seen the audio on ebay and other used sites from time to time for decent prices but usually they are overprices used copies.

Ask your local library if they can obtain the tapes/cd's through inter-library loan.

My library website actually shows the libraries they can borrow from as well but I'm going to check with them just in case.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:42 pm

tomgosse wrote:
rdearman wrote:
wwiding wrote:I got the audio from a friend who ripped it from source. I'm not sure of the copyright laws. I'm going to email the site admins this weekend when I get some time off. I'll let every one know when I recieve a response.

If this stuff was in the public domain already, and it might have been if it was available for download on a legitimate site, then a copy from your friend would be legal. Basically because things in the public domain are in the public domain. However, if it is still under copyright in your country, then a copy isn't legal. You could however borrow the source from your friend and return it later, or buy it off them.

It is my understanding that all of the French In Action material (books, workbooks, cd's, and dvd's) are still in copyright in the United States. :cry: I believe the copyright holder is Yale University Press.

That's a shame. I suspect the college of middlebury restricted access to the material because of copy right issues as well. I did find a link to another educational institute that had the audio, but the links are dead. Their website says you must use internet explorer for the links to work any way and I run Manjaro Linux on my laptop so even if that was the case it's a no go for me.

I prefer DLI any way and was only going to supplement with the FIA audio and video sources so it's not worth buying for me. I do have the books but they only cost me a few dollars used.
1 x

wwiding
Orange Belt

Postby wwiding » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 pm

I recieved a response from The College of Middlebury. They had to restrict access to FIA to students of the college.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:58 pm

How do you all cope with accents, etc when writing in French? I tend to either not bother, or copy and paste them in, neither of which are really sensible solutions! Do you know the keyboard codes to include them? Is that what you do?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:38 pm

If you are on Windows, add the International keyboard: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows
3 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:17 pm

On a Mac
To type an accented or alternate version of a character, hold a key down until its alternate characters are displayed.
To choose one of the characters displayed, type the number that appears under the character, or click the character you want to use.
Source: Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201586
Or

Press and hold the keys listed in the order given in this document:
https://www.bu.edu/geddes/files/2011/04/accents-mac.pdf
Release the keys and then type the letter to be accented.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:44 pm

MamaPata wrote:How do you all cope with accents, etc when writing in French? I tend to either not bother, or copy and paste them in, neither of which are really sensible solutions! Do you know the keyboard codes to include them? Is that what you do?

tastyonions wrote:If you are on Windows, add the International keyboard: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows

I do exactly as tastyonions has pointed out. i.e. I use the US International keyboard, and it's a piece of cake once you get to know the simple ways to create the accents with this option. It's practically second nature to type in the accents without difficult codes or stopping the flow of faster typing in it's tracks.

On my iPhone I have a French keyboard installed in US layout. I often plug in a keyboard (I don't like bluetooth keyboards) and type away, and once again, although they keyboard shortcuts differ from Windows, it's a piece of cake. Get onto it!
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 pm

MamaPata wrote:How do you all cope with accents, etc when writing in French? I tend to either not bother, or copy and paste them in, neither of which are really sensible solutions! Do you know the keyboard codes to include them? Is that what you do?

On my iPad or iPhone I just use the French keyboard because you get the autocorrect suggestions which will automatically add the accents most of the time, and if not you just press and hold the relevant vowel until you get up the various accent alternatives.

On a PC I actually switch to Spanish keyboard, it gives you all the accents you need as well as the letter ç. It looks like this:

3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “Study Groups”