Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Carmody wrote:Ok folks, I promise this is the last Fred video, but I did enjoy this one. Especially La raison numero 5 pour detester les Francais c'est: les verbes irreguliers.
Fred is lively and engaging.
The opinions of tourists shouldn't preoccupy us.
Ten days in Paris do not qualify me as an expert, but the town did not seem dirty to me, not even the subway, none of the French I interacted with smelled bad, only one waiter and only one bus driver was rude. Otherwise Paris was just a very large city, and like very large American cities--Philadelphia, Dallas, LA--all kinds of people good and bad are allowed to walk the streets and work in the shops. C'est la vie.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:00 am

Radio France have two versions of A Christmas Carol: France Culture 5 episodes of 24 minutes, and France Bleu 10 episodes of 5 minutes.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:43 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Radio France have two versions of A Christmas Carol: France Culture 5 episodes of 24 minutes, and France Bleu 10 episodes of 5 minutes.

France Bleu is for people who can't sit still. Do they also play a pop song halfway through the episodes?
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:04 am

An opportunity to hear different accents:

2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:34 pm

Carmody wrote:An opportunity to hear different accents:
Hmm. Once again I say based on my very brief stay in Paris that no French person that we met was arrogant. I don't recall speaking to any French there in English, so can't report on their responses to English. To go further, I don't remember running into any English speakers there, native or otherwise.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:55 pm

Do any of you care sharing what your experience with learning the French R has been like? I didn't put much thought into it for many years and just trusted my ears and my ability to imitate what I was hearing. French speakers have recently told me that although I don't have the typical American pronunciation of the R, that my R can still use some work. More specifically I was told that my R is too strong.

From my basic understanding, the letter R can actually represent up to 4 different sounds depending on regional accents, but the two most common are the voiced uvula fricative /ʁ/, and the voiceless uvula fricative /χ/.

The voiced uvula fricative /ʁ/ is typically used at the beginning of words, between vowels, or next to voiced consonants like D, B, V, G, for example.

The voiceless uvula fricative /χ/ is typically used at the end of words and next to voiceless consonants like T, P, F, C , for example.

Personally, I find voiceless /χ/ variant far easier to pronounce (think the r in très , près).

The voiced version is harder for me (the R at the beginning of words or between vowels), but I think I'm getting better at it.

I have a question: if a word ending in R (which would normally be pronounced with the /χ/ ) is followed by a word beginning with a vowel, would the R then become the voiced /ʁ/ variant instead?

For example, take the word pouvoir on its own. It would end with the voiceless uvula fricative /χ/, but if pouvoir is in a sentence like "Il faut tout de même se rajoute d'être en vie et de pouvoir aimer" it's followed by a word beginning with a vowel, so does the R become the voiced uvula fricative /ʁ/ now? Almost more like pouvoi raimer?

I'm probably over thinking this, but I dont know how else to figure it out since apparently nearly a decade of imitating what I hear isn't accurate :D
Last edited by Fortheo on Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:45 pm

The Modern French r isn't too far from the one we use in Danish, and if I want to make it a bit more expressive I just push it ever so slightly it towards the variant I picked up from Piaf (the situation with a word ending in r followed by one starting with a vowel might be one where I would be tempted to Piafify my r's). Maybe the result isn't quite idiomatic, but so far no one has complained.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:53 pm

Fortheo wrote:I'm probably over thinking this, but I dont know how else to figure it out since apparently nearly a decade of imitating what I hear isn't accurate :D

I wouldn't put too much store in that sort of thing. Nit-picking like this by natives (of any language) is liable to make anyone feel they sound absolutely useless and it's often exaggerated. When I lived in France after being in Belgium people just seemed to be defaulting to the tired stereotype that Belgians all have a harsh 'r' and that I'd 'picked it up'. When in fact I'd just copied my mother's pronunciation which wasn't even harsh. And truth be told I simply ended up with a hybrid sound from moving about and being among different speakers. I do use the uvular trill on some words. This exists in Dutch as well (alongside a fricative and weak rolled 'r'), but I don't even use a fricative 'r' in Dutch I follow the Belgian standard of a rolled or dental tap (which also exists in the north of the country). Perhaps to differentiate from French.

Sometimes I have the idea of going about in France, specifically northern regions, deliberately using older southern pronunciations with an Spanish/Italienate rolled 'r' and rejecting 'correction' just to annoy everyone.

Even though there are those alterations according to where the r falls, I think most people can get away with a mild fricative 'r'. Underplaying it is less noticeable than overplaying it.
2 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:12 am

Le Baron wrote:I wouldn't put too much store in that sort of thing. Nit-picking like this by natives (of any language) is liable to make anyone feel they sound absolutely useless and it's often exaggerated. When I lived in France after being in Belgium people just seemed to be defaulting to the tired stereotype that Belgians all have a harsh 'r' and that I'd 'picked it up'. When in fact I'd just copied my mother's pronunciation which wasn't even harsh. And truth be told I simply ended up with a hybrid sound from moving about and being among different speakers. I do use the uvular trill on some words. This exists in Dutch as well (alongside a fricative and weak rolled 'r'), but I don't even use a fricative 'r' in Dutch I follow the Belgian standard of a rolled or dental tap (which also exists in the north of the country). Perhaps to differentiate from French.

Sometimes I have the idea of going about in France, specifically northern regions, deliberately using older southern pronunciations with an Spanish/Italienate rolled 'r' and rejecting 'correction' just to annoy everyone.

Even though there are those alterations according to where the r falls, I think most people can get away with a mild fricative 'r'. Underplaying it is less noticeable than overplaying it.

Thanks. I think I just let some of the criticism get to me a bit. Your response has encouraged me to just pronounce it however I'm comfortable. My french acquaintances will just have to deal with it :D
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:54 am

Fortheo »

I absolutely love that avatar of yours. I do not know how you came by it but it is a treasure.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”