Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:03 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Carmody wrote:Edit to add: I will report my findings in a new log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10087&p=132909#p132909

Changed my mind about where to put this review. Here it is.
I've seen 104 videos, and I'm going to wrap this up.

Price Plans
    Free. Limit of three videos with subtitles per month. For some, that might work. There are, rough guess, 150 videos.
    $5.99 (or $59.99 for a year). Unlimited number of videos, online quiz, and the opportunity to save vocabulary (just click on the word in the subtitle) for later study and flash cards.
    $9.99 (or $99.99 for a year). Same as $5.99 plus transcripts.
In any case, you are not obligated for any length of time.

Topics of Videos
News: lots of French politics, Macron and LePen, not any stab and slab.
Culture: food, literature, museums, and so on.
Music: mostly contemporary pop.
Entertainment: TV, movies and so on.
Ideas: runs the gamut. Astronomy, environment and so on.

Levels
    Beginner
    Intermediate
    Advanced

As I said before, there was not much difference among the three levels except perhaps for cognitive content.

General Comments
I watched all or very nearly all of the Culture, Entertainment and Ideas categories, as much News as I could stomach, and two or three from Music, which is geared, understandably enough to the young. I did recognize the names Zaz, Brel and Stromae.

The times ran for the most part from a minute or less to three or four minutes. A couple running around eleven minutes were in the Ideas category, and they were my favorites mostly, I think, simply because they were longer. None of the videos were of merely trivial content playing to the masses.

Conclusions
First, TV5Monde evaluated my level in French as A2/B1 (seems right). There was no video, Beginner or otherwise, that I could understand properly without the French subtitles. I never used the English subtitles.

I think that the variety of topics, the good visual and audio quality, and the price make at least a look-see worth your time if you are looking for fodder for intensive listening. There are, of course, other sites out there with videos and/or podcasts with subtitles or transcripts and that are free and that you might also want to investigate.

I put some other small details here: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10087&p=132896#p132896
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

DaveAgain
Green Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate), German (beginner).

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:06 pm

*STOP PRESS*
TV5MONDE - now online for free in Great Britain

TV viewing habits are changing. So are we! As of 30th Nov 2018 there’s no need to pay for Sky or Virgin to watch TV5MONDE.
Anyone in the UK can now enjoy the same channel live 24/7 on this page, for free - and in HD! Anytime, anywhere, with French or English subtitles – or no subtitles at all. Your choice.

Watch here: http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/live
Email: live-uk@tv5monde.com

http://europe.tv5monde.com/en/distribut ... ry_tid=148

EDIT
You can watch recent programmes via TV5MondePlus.com.
Last edited by DaveAgain on Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Carmody
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:02 am

We all know that Macron is conducting a debate in town hall meetings throughout France. What people may not know is that they are televised and offer a unique opportunity to hear lots of French spoken from different regions. In addition to being wonderfully lengthy they are as well informative re what the issues are right now for the people and for Marcron.

Here is a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYbRkBnTFIM
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 am

Carmody wrote:In addition to being wonderfully lengthy they are as well informative re what the issues are right now for the people and for Marcron.

I think saying "wonderfully lengthy" about any politician's speeches is for the YKYALLN thread :-D
Any tips on French fantasy/scifi, or something with a good dubbing, please? I am right now hating Star Gate Universe and probably won't continue watching it and the dubbing is a large part of it and I've tried and discarded two or three more series lately. The speech actors sounded wrong for the real actors, and it was all weird, no like the good dubbings I've experienced in past. I need something helpful against despair, a bit heroic, and captivating. Original would be better, but I have no clue why the original francophone tv series and movies are lagging so far behind the books, when it comes to my favourite genres.
0 x

Cèid Donn
Green Belt
Languages: native: eng-US; adv: gaelic, french; adv-int: irish, breton, german, spanish; int: welsh, indonesian, swedish; 6WC: navajo; beg/dabbling/on hold: japanese, russian, hawaiian, manx, yoruba, faroese, swahili, italian; soon: darija; long ago: latin, biblical hebrew, ancient greek

Postby Cèid Donn » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 am

Stargate: Universe was a terrible series. The writing was directionless and the cast was about as charismatic as soggy cardboard. So it's no surprise it doesn't work as a dubbed show either. Unlike the first two Stargate series, SG:U wasn't intended to be about heroic storytelling--it was trying way too hard to follow in the footsteps of the Battlestar Galactica reboot with flawed characters and messy story arcs, and it just didn't work.

Most sci-fi Tv and movies I am familiar with are US/English-language, so I suspect you already know most of them. I haven't made much effort to look into more recent French sci fi TV and movies because I've assumed it would cost me money I don't have to get them. But I did recently learn that one of my favorite sci-fi films of the 1990s is dubbed in French on the blu-ray release--Gattaca. Despite it having a couple irksome plotholes, it's a really good movie, in my opinion, with a positive (if not slightly tear-jerky) ending.
0 x
French SC: completed!
Gaelic SC: Films - completed! | Books : 70 / 100
Spanish SC (half): completed!

DaveAgain
Green Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am

Cèid Donn wrote:Stargate: Universe was a terrible series. The writing was directionless and the cast was about as charismatic as soggy cardboard. So it's no surprise it doesn't work as a dubbed show either. Unlike the first two Stargate series, SG:U wasn't intended to be about heroic storytelling--it was trying way too hard to follow in the footsteps of the Battlestar Galactica reboot with flawed characters and messy story arcs, and it just didn't work.
I thought the actors playing the sergeant character, and the medic were both very good.

I've liked most of the Stargate stuff I've seen. :-)
3 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Bon jour mes amis,

Has anyone used the Natural French Pronunciation by Marie at Just French It? I was disappointed that there are no sample lessons on their web site.

Merci,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

javier_getafe
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2)
Dabbling in french (A0)-Duolingo
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10163

Postby javier_getafe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:06 pm

I think that you can find videos in You Tube to help you take your choice.
1 x
Super Challenge '19
: 25 / 100 100 books : 34 / 100 100 films
Output Challenge '19
: 6140 / 50000 50,000 words : 25 / 50 50 hours of recorded speech

DaveAgain
Green Belt

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:46 pm

hand gesture.

Do you know what it means to rub the tips of your two index fingers together?

(This cropped up in a film called Le père de mademoiselle.)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 am

DaveAgain wrote:hand gesture.

Do you know what it means to rub the tips of your two index fingers together?

Is the answer family-friendly? I'm part of a family, you know. :lol:
0 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

Return to “Study Groups”