Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Purpose :
To learn and improve our French listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills as much as possible.

L'année 2016 commence ici: 2016
L'année 2017 commence ici: 2017
L'année 2018 commence ici: 2018
L'année 2019 commence ici: 2019

Les réglelments
  • This group is open to people of all levels.
  • You can post in French and/or English. But do be patient with any beginners, and if you become aware that some are struggling to follow your posts consider providing a translation.
  • Members should subscribe to this post.
  • Members should start and keep a log that chronicles their studies. It's okay to use a log that's already started, or just chronicle it here. What ever is easier for you.
  • Members should subscribe to the logs of other members (and read them!).
  • If you are looking for a study-buddy you can announce it here.
  • Adhere to the forum rules.
  • Play nice !
Members : This list was edited in November 2016. I removed anyone who was not active on the Language Learners forum in the last six months. If I removed you in error, or you would like to be added to the list, please let me know.

Advisors :
Nov. 19,2016
I did a little housekeeping to our group this afternoon.
  • I deleted the names of anyone who has not been active on A Language Learners' Forum for over six months. If I deleted you by accident, I am sorry. Just let me know and I will add your name back to the list.
  • If you are following this forum and are not listed as a member, but would like to be, let me know and I will add you.
Last edited by tomgosse on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 138 times in total.
21 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 pm

Resources :
Last edited by tomgosse on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 30 times in total.
20 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby iguanamon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Feel free to copy and paste what I have written and edit it to suit your needs in your welcome post, Tom. Merde! as they say en français. I won't be participating but I will be watching.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:49 pm

I'd like to join. Having never done a TAC, I'll not be much help with the organisational portion. :D

Quels sont les règlements?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:14 pm

rdearman wrote:I'd like to join. Having never done a TAC, I'll not be much help with the organisational portion. :D

Quels sont les règlements?

I'm a firm believer in KISS, Keep It Simple Silly. The only real rules are :
* Members should subscribe to this post.
* Members should start and keep a log that chronicles their studies. It's okay to use a log that's already started.
* Members should subscribe to the logs of other members (and read them!).

And that's about it. Here are the suggestions that emk posted in the End Of TAC post:
If you're thinking about something like "Team Beginner French", and if you don't plan for it to be part of TAC, I'd personally suggest the following. This is partly based on my experiences with Team Egyptian, and partly on watching TAC over the years, and partly on observing what sorts of forum things die off and what sorts thrive. This is just my personal opinion, not any sort of "official" advice! :-)

The team should probably have at least two "leaders" who are regularly active on the forum, and who are unlikely to give up on French in the immediate future. Otherwise, there's a danger that the team will disappear very quickly.
You're welcome to ask for native speakers (or advanced students) who'd be willing to act as "godparents" and answer questions. (When FSI puts together teams of teachers, they often use several natives and one very advanced non-native, to help with stuff that natives might take for granted.)
There should be a team thread under "Language Challenges & Teams", with a list of members, a list of godparents (etc.), and a list of useful resources the team has found. It should also explain who can join the team and how (if the size isn't capped).
It would be good to plan some kind of fun monthly activities in a team thread.
Everybody who is in the team should subscribe to the other team members' (French) logs.
As for size, I don't really have a good feeling about how that would work with non-TAC teams. It's probably best to cap it at fewer than 10 active members, but I suppose you could move people to "inactive" status and add new active members as time goes on.

What do people think? Would this be a reasonable checklist for people doing non-TAC teams? Could we improve it?
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:26 pm

I posted this to the original HTLAL group, and the Polyglot groups on Facebook. I also posted it on my own timeline. I'm asking people here to please post it to your social media and help get the word out.

Bonjour mes amis,
I belong to a lanuage learning forum that is starting a new French study group. If you are interested in joining us please follow the following link.

Hey everybody! A New Year is upon us. Several of us who are learning French have gotten together as a group. We need and want you to join too and be a part of our group. Together we will learn French through our individual efforts as we also learn how to learn. We'll be sharing resources and techniques. We will learn from each other's different approaches. Even though self-learning, by definition is highly individual, being part of this group will help you as an individual through the rough patches and provide support and encouragement when you may be faltering. We are all at different levels but we are all learning French. If you are more experienced, we need and want you too. Experienced learners often benefit from teaching those less experienced and by seeing their enthusiasm. So, come join "French Group 2016- 'Les Voyageurs'. Be welcome! Allons-y

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1575&p=14706#p14706
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 pm

I volunteer to participate in a strictly support role, if you're interested, and help people find cool French media. :-)
5 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:31 pm

emk wrote:I volunteer to participate in a strictly support role, if you're interested, and help people find cool French media. :-)

Thank you! May I list you as one of the godparents?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:00 pm

tomgosse wrote:Thank you! May I list you as one of the godparents?

As a non-native one, yes, with pleasure. You're welcome to link to my log. For the purposes of this forum, my name is emk. :-)

And here's my old media resources post, for folks who are looking to give their learning a boost by saturating their brain with French. But don't hesitate to ask for more current recommendations.

And two recommendations to get things started: The US iTunes music store is full of great French music, and Audible.fr sells a wide selection of French language audiobooks without region restrictions. A lot of French digital media has geographic restrictions, but these two stores are happy to sell to everybody the last I checked. :-)
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Tom, and others,

I'm not sure I fit the prerequisites in terms of level... is this a 2016 French team (with members of all levels) or a 2016 French beginners team with a few more experienced and native speakers?

Anyway if I can join here's my details. If I can't just disregard this post for the most part and wish me well on my own adventure(s) - not obligatory of course ;) One of my best attributes as a team member/oberver or one who provides a little input here and there may reside in the fact that I've completed a decent amount of French courses and can provide insight into them for others.

Here's my log:
viewtopic.php?t=784

My current level is estimated around B2

My motivation of late has been weakening, but my contact with the language is ongoing (my active studies have considerably dropped in the last couple of weeks).

My aim is to fully return to courses for the time being. I know there is fantastic value in native content and it can't be ignored, but once again i'm realising by distracting myself with all that fantastic native content i'm not ploughing through my huge course list like i'd like to be. It's very much overkill really, but it's a goal of mine and a source of drive. So for the meantime i'd like to really step up my course focus in my 'active study hours' and use free time outside of those allotted hours for exposure to native materials with some watching and some reading, potentially a little listening.

Current courses I'm actively aiming to plough through (steadily) are:

1. Rocket French Platinum:
Currently I'm 3/4 through the course, but will do at least one re-run through. I can't recommend this course enough for intermediate learners B1/high B1/perhaps B2 as it certainly is a more challenging audio course when compared to all the levels of Michel Thomas and Pimsleur 1 through 4 (haven't used 5).

2. French in Action
I'm aiming to finally get back to this course I think I was on lesson 13 or 14 when I last left it. Unlike many previous attempts I'm not returning to the beginning anymore (nor with any of my courses I haven't yet finished). False starts, and restarts are a huge waste of time- language should pick up where you leave it last, as close to that level as possible.

3. Assimil
Here i've started with Using French, while continuing with the active phase of NFWE (like revision really). i'm enjoying the first handful of lessons of Using French :) I must say though it's a little disheartening that many of the better Assimil courses are older. It seems to be a pattern with modern day language courses- they are dumbed down, cut down, or made smaller for sales and marketing purposes it seems.

4. Fluenz French 4
Great DVD-rom course that provides a lot of production and repetition of various forms. In some ways it's like an easier version of the FSI courses but in DVD-rom format with a nicer presentation. Great for drills. LIke with all my courses I always repeat everything I hear and see out loud. This course is great for that.

Anyway I hope my post is appropriate for this team. If not I hope I can help out from time to time.

PM
6 x

Return to “Study Groups”