Duolingo Buddies Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Duolingo Buddies Group

Postby Mista » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm maria.nils (that's what happens when you register via facebook :roll: )

Brun Ugle wrote:Brun_Ugle, but I haven’t used Duolingo in ages. I tend to use it in short bursts and then get annoyed with it because it’s too slow and always wants me to review stuff I don’t need to review.

Sounds like you haven't used it since the new crowns system was introduced?
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

I am thinking about simultaneously working on an obverse and reverse tree as a beginner, with German in my case. I can scale how many levels and crowns I go for as well as recursive depth based on how much time and effort that I have/want to put into the task. I like the idea of working simultaneously with two partially known languages. In my case, French is the only to-me-unknown option ready for a reverse German tree, but it is a language that I repeatedly show inclinations toward, so that works for me. I have been trying out a similar approach with deepl for translation (using it with two partially unknown languages), and I find that the net impact strikes a nice balance. With German on the input (a beginner language for me) and looking at the French translation (A0, unknown, but cat 1 for me), what I notice is that I don't lean too much on the translation as a crutch to decipher German. Sometimes the German is easier to read and other times the French, but between the two of them, I ought to be able to figure it out. I think Duolingo works well for people who prefer a bit of uncertainty and what I want to try extends that just a little, but not past any breaking points. I have a pretty high tolerance for uncertainty and seek it even.

For my German tree, I am doing it as a reverse Spanish tree which is nice to help me maintain ES.

Thanks for mentioning the pyramid approach. How you walk the nodes of each tree has many interesting possibilities. Good choice of data structure for the main interface.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 am

Mista wrote:I'm maria.nils (that's what happens when you register via facebook :roll: )

Brun Ugle wrote:Brun_Ugle, but I haven’t used Duolingo in ages. I tend to use it in short bursts and then get annoyed with it because it’s too slow and always wants me to review stuff I don’t need to review.

Sounds like you haven't used it since the new crowns system was introduced?

I found that made it even slower and I was reviewing the same few words over and over. And they were always the easiest things it wanted me to review.
0 x

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:04 am

I'm ellasevia on Duolingo.

I haven't used it in ages either, though. Maybe having a group would change that? But I also don't find Duolingo to be terribly useful except in the beginning stages of a language.
2 x

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 45#p145945

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi, I'm Niezapominajqa on Duo :). I'm using it for French to get the general hang of the language, even though I'm a bit annoyed with the new 5 level system. It's a bit absurd. To get to the level 5 in the Greek tree you need to complete 40+ lessons... just to learn the alphabet. Thankfully, there are shortcusts (finally there's something I can spend my lingots on!), but it's still a bit weird.
3 x
Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes!

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 pm

The Duolingo Latin course is now designated as "hatching", with a target beta release date of mid-September.

I am seeing lots of comments (on Duolingo and reddit) speculating as to whether there will be audio, and if so what it will sound like.
3 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

lildreamsnatcher
Yellow Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), Greek (B1), Latin (intermediate), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 45#p145945

Postby lildreamsnatcher » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:18 pm

lavengro wrote:The Duolingo Latin course is now designated as "hatching", with a target beta release date of mid-September.

I am seeing lots of comments (on Duolingo and reddit) speculating as to whether there will be audio, and if so what it will sound like.

If it's going to have this slightly italian way of speech, I'm out (sorry, I don't remember what it was called exactly).
Anyway, I'm still apprehensive about Latin itself – I'm scared that there will be lots of mistakes. But oh well, we'll see. Hopefully I'm wrong.
0 x
Please feel free to correct any of my mistakes!

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Don't all varieties of Latin at this point have different accents? There is no true Latin anymore, right?
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 pm

The Italian-style pronunciation is Ecclesiastical. Most classical music in Latin is sung with Ecclesiastical pronunciation.

This has several differences from reconstructed classical pronunciation, which the best approximation you can get to how Romans actually spoke during the classical period.

I really hope that Duolingo uses reconstructed pronunciation, but it may be hard to find someone who can do it properly.
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:00 pm

eido wrote:Don't all varieties of Latin at this point have different accents? There is no true Latin anymore, right?
given my log title, I feel duty-bound to post this here:

Eddie Izzard - What did the Romans sound like:
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”