Duolingo Buddies Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Re: Duolingo Buddies Group

Postby lavengro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Duolingo has apparently already released "For Talking to Children" - I did not even know that this had been in the incubator!

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1190844899010260993
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

yalamix
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (C2), Spanish (A1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby yalamix » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:40 pm

Hello everyone!

Here is my profile: https://www.duolingo.com/profile/yalamix
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Scottish Gaelic has been released, in beta. Looks pretty short (33 skill units) at present compared to most of the other languages.
4 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 pm

I have mixed feelings about Duolingo...But I still find myself coming back. :lol:

My profile name is hestia-edwards.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 am

I just started doing the Arabic course the other day. Is it just me or does the audio have a lot of pronunciation errors?

On the other hand, it shows that a lot of the Hebrew course's issues can be fixed. Both Hebrew and Arabic have optional vowel markings that are not used in normal life, but the Arabic course uses them completely at the beginning of the course so that you can unambiguously see how to pronounce each word. The Hebrew course doesn't use vowel markings at all so if you forget how a word is pronounced, you have to look it up.

Also, the Arabic course has full audio and Hebrew doesn't, although as I said, there seem to be a lot of pronunciation issues at the beginning of the course. It would be a huge improvement if full audio were possible for Hebrew as well.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

BenG
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A level), French (GCSE),
Japanese (beginner), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby BenG » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:52 am

My duolingo name is Ben-Gonzalez

Here I am BenG

I'm hoping to get better at Spanish and Japanese

But to be honest I've started most of the duolingo languages
2 x

Ganiarda
Languages: english, french

Postby Ganiarda » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:52 pm

did somebody have feedback about Duolingo, because i hesited to buy the premium version
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:04 pm

Ganiarda wrote:did somebody have feedback about Duolingo, because i hesited to buy the premium version

I have used Duolingo for many years and I have never paid for the premium version. The phone apps have some obnoxious features that they probably added to annoy people into paying for premium, but you can bypass these features by using Duolingo in a browser which is a much better experience than the app. The only other reasons to buy premium that I could think of is if you care enough about your streaks to want to restore them when they break (I don't) or if you hate the adds so much that you want to pay to take them away.

There may be some other benefits of the premium version that I am missing because I have never used it, so maybe someone who has experience with the premium version can chime in.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

lavengro
Blue Belt

Postby lavengro » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:37 pm

From my perspective, the main advantage of taking out a Duolingo Plus membership is that of convenience.

I fully agree with Deinonysus' comment that the browser (or web-based) approach is a much better experience than the app version. The web-based version has the grammar notes ("Tips") as well as, and in my view, more importantly, a "Discussion" link under each word or sentence exercise (becomes available once you have answered, and checked your answer). Sometimes a word or sentence's Discussion link is empty or limited, but other times there is a robust discussion involving fellow learners (at all levels), course creators, moderators and occasionally native language speakers, providing answers to often the exact question I have from time to time (why is "X" wrong), links to other helpful material on particular points or from the native speakers real-world language issues (ie. while "X" is not wrong, "Y" is more common, etc).

Both the Tips and Discussion opportunities are available regardless of whether one is using the free version or a Duolingo Plus membership, provided you are using the web-based browser version.

I would also strongly suggest using a typing rather than word choice (or word tile) approach for a deeper learning experience.
3 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:37 am

I paid for the premium in 2019 I believe in hopes it would get rid of a lot of the annoying features of getting through a screen. Also, I believe in supporting the publishers of the software I use. I only ever used the Web version. Too many silly screens to go through for each sentence in order to get to the next one. Paying didn't help that at all. The only thing it did was get rid of the screens asking me to upgrade.

I got bored with duolingo for most languages. The only language I actually liked was the Latin course. I could see using it for some languages with few resources but otherwise it's not something I intend to use. Nor would I pay for it again.

I'd recommend trying it out for a few months before paying.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “Study Groups”