Dutch Golden Age paintings and painters (for Dutch learners)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), German (A1), Spanish (A1), Esperanto (A1), Mandarin (beginner)

Re: Dutch Golden Age paintings and painters (for Dutch learners)

Postby tommus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:05 pm

How did Rembrandt's language sound?

Hoe klonk de taal van Rembrandt?

For the 350th anniversary of Rembrandt's death, researchers developed a series of Rembrandt Tutorials where Rembrandt "himself" teaches how to paint. These Tutorials are on YouTube. To be realistic, they used the Dutch language as spoken in the 15th century, and even reconstructed, as best they could, how Rembrandt's actual voice would probably have sounded.

The story of the preparation of these tutorials also contains links to the Tutorials themselves.

Rembrandt Tutorials
1 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
: 25 / 40
: 35 / 35
: 180 / 370
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws
: 730 / 730
: 82 / 104
: 730 / 730

Nogon
White Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A1), Esperanto (A1). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans

Re: Dutch Golden Age paintings and painters (for Dutch learners)

Postby Nogon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Wow! That is utterly fascinating! Thanks for telling us about it, tommus!

I'm extra happy about, that I not only could read the article with quite good understanding, but even get the gist of the "De ‘making-of’ van de Rembrandt Tutorials" without reading the subtitles - without ever having learnt any Dutch. (Except a little Clozemaster for a few weeks.) German as a native language makes Dutch almost (but not entirely) transparent. I think, I could acquire an okay reading ability without too much work. Should buy a dictionary and a beginners' grammar and check the library for some nice Dutch books.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”