Dutch Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Ug_Caveman
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A1) - awaiting Dutch A2 test results as of 03/05/2021

Re: Dutch Study Group

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:26 am

So I've gone for it and entered the CNaVT A2 exam, figured I had to get on the ladder at some point and (even if it goes wrong) it's a valuable learning experience for someone who hasn't sat an MFL exam since they were 16.

If anyone has any tips or advice on how to prepare it would be much appreciated :)
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (awaiting results of A2 exam)
In the future? French & Spanish (definitely), Italian (quite likely)

Faust
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Faust » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:15 am

I was hoping for some thoughts on the best first Dutch course(s) based on the small collection at my local library.

There are two books from Henry R. Stern (201 Dutch Verbs and Essential Dutch Grammar).

In terms of courses with audio, they have:
Spoken World: Dutch
Prisma Dutch for Self Study
Hippocrene Beginner's Dutch
Assimil: Dutch With Ease

There is not a ton of info on these, but it seems the Spoken World course is well regarded.

Question on the Dutch With Ease course. The other three seem to be clear they are Dutch pronunciation, but this course has the Belgian flag on the cover as well. Can someone confirm if this pronunciation is Dutch or Flemish?

Lesson 22: Een pakje voor mevrouw: https://sndup.net/69k5
Lesson 62: Weer een betje humor: https://www.sndup.net/6dn2

The Prisma Course seems to have no info out there about it. The introduction notes it teaches the most common 1,000 Dutch words, and I'd say from flipping through that it seems the most comprehensive in terms of drills/exercises. So I think it may be a bit heavy to do first. However, if anyone has experience with it, I'd love to hear.

If the pronunciation is Dutch in the Assimil audio linked above, I think I would just do Spoken World: Dutch + Assimil: Dutch With Ease as the initial combo to begin, course wise.
1 x

Le Baron
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Nederlands, Français, Deutsch, Esperanto (a very worthy language). Studying: Castellano, Swahili, rather slowly, but surely. Also Sranantongo in the past with my wife, but it has lapsed. Dabbled in: Cantonese, Russian, Norwegian. Finished the Hawaiian course on Duolingo, but can barely remember a thing!

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:51 am

The audio in the sample is standard Dutch. A bit theatrical, but standard. Guttural 'g', standard pronunciation of the ei/ij etc. The Belgian flag is on there because you can speak standard Dutch in Belgium and be 99.9% understood (other way around less so sometimes unless it's 'Algemeen Vlaams').

I'll just add that for all practical purposes it doesn't really matter if the Dutch comes from NL or Belgium because it's all Dutch. I wouldn't want to be pulled into a quagmire about the actual differences, but if you are e.g. listening to the 'journaal' on the Flemish tv channel éen and you happen to be in Rotterdam or wherever, the newscasters are not speaking a different language or using different vocabulary 99% of the time. The people with regional accents or dialect inflections might be harder to understand, but you get that on the Dutch news as well! And they even subtitle that sometimes.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu May 06, 2021 8:23 pm

New online Dutch course for advanced non-native speakers.

This is a free MOOC online course that appears to be excellent. It is designed for those who are B2 or better in Dutch. It is rare to find such courses at an advanced level. I have just started it and I'm very impressed with how well the course has been prepared. There is a lot of upfront detail about the course. It includes audio/video/vocabulary building/reading/writing and grammar and can be done as self-study, plus you can get help from teachers. And it addresses both Netherlands Dutch and Flemish Dutch, and discusses dialects.

Nieuw: online cursus Nederlands voor gevorderde anderstaligen
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 6 / 1000

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm

Two excellent Dutch-language websites with audio and matching text podcasts. One is from the Netherlands and one is from Flanders in Belgium. Both have excellent audio and perfectly-matching text. And the articles are very interesting.

Een Beetje Nederlands

Op z'n Vlaams
5 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 6 / 1000

Return to “Study Groups”