Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German (C2)
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby AlOlaf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Could this be a new version of Norwegisch ohne Mühe?
0 x

Philipp
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Philipp » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Hei Team Nordic, I’m looking for recommendations for books in bokmål. My Norwegian is very basic, but I can guess many words from German. I read some sample texts from Jo Nesbø and I’m able to get the gist. A crime novel would be nice, but I’m open to other genres. No children’s books or YA, please. I read a lot of Harry Potter lately and have enough of angsty teenagers for a while. ;) Is the Harry Hole series a good choice or is there something better suited for beginners?
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7480

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Philipp wrote:Hei Team Nordic, I’m looking for recommendations for books in bokmål. My Norwegian is very basic, but I can guess many words from German. I read some sample texts from Jo Nesbø and I’m able to get the gist. A crime novel would be nice, but I’m open to other genres. No children’s books or YA, please. I read a lot of Harry Potter lately and have enough of angsty teenagers for a while. ;) Is the Harry Hole series a good choice or is there something better suited for beginners?

I think it would probably be as good as anything else. One advantage is that a lot of Jo Nesbø’s books have been translated to English and German, so you could consult the translations if you get stuck.
1 x

Philipp
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English (intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Philipp » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I think it would probably be as good as anything else. One advantage is that a lot of Jo Nesbø’s books have been translated to English and German, so you could consult the translations if you get stuck.

Thanks. Then I'll to start with Flaggermusmannen. I'm curious how it goes.
1 x

suomiruotsinorja
Languages: Finnish (N), English (C1/C2), Swedish (C1), Russian (beginner)

Postby suomiruotsinorja » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:24 am

Moi/hej/hei everyone!

This study group seems to be just the place for me! I am Finnish, studying in Sweden and dating a Norwegian guy. My biggest problem at the moment is mixing up Swedish and Norwegian. I am fluent in Swedish and I can understand Norwegian well. However, when I try to learn to produce Norwegian it ends up affecting my Swedish (I sometimes use Norwegian words by accident and confuse my Swedish friends). Any advice? The languages are so similar - which is a blessing and a curse.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7480

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:17 pm

suomiruotsinorja wrote:Moi/hej/hei everyone!

This study group seems to be just the place for me! I am Finnish, studying in Sweden and dating a Norwegian guy. My biggest problem at the moment is mixing up Swedish and Norwegian. I am fluent in Swedish and I can understand Norwegian well. However, when I try to learn to produce Norwegian it ends up affecting my Swedish (I sometimes use Norwegian words by accident and confuse my Swedish friends). Any advice? The languages are so similar - which is a blessing and a curse.

Unless you really want to learn Norwegian, you might as well just stick with Swedish since Norwegians usually understand it without many problems. If you do want to learn Norwegian, then I’ve heard some people say that it helps to concentrate on the different “feeling” of the languages. That is, every language has its own personality or feel and if you can “feel Norwegian” when you speak Norwegian and “feel Swedish” when you speak Swedish, you won’t mix them up. It sounds like New Age mumbo jumbo, I know, but it is said to help.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”