Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
garyb
Blue Belt
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: Scotland
Languages: English (N)
French (advanced), Italian (advanced)
Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855
x 2551
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby garyb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking for more popular-culture-oriented material too, some happy medium between stuffy newspapers and low-brow/pseudo-intellectual manipulative trash like Buzzfeed and HuffPost that I'd rather not give my page views to. Vice looks good fun even though I have mixed feelings about their English content, and "Asco de Vida" is exactly what I had been looking for for colloquial language since the Spanish version of "Vie de merde" has been dead for a while. Veinte Mundos is mentioned very frequently on this forum and with good reason.

On a related note, does anyone have any YouTube channels to recommend for humour and colloquial language? I'd prefer ones from Spain, but I'm sure other members would appreciate Latin American ones too. I've never found anything at the same level as Norman and Cyprien in French, for example. I was recommended a couple in the past on here, but they weren't my thing at all: HolaSoyGerman, which felt juvenile and all over the place, and elrubiusOMG which was far too "internet humour" for me.

I feel like in such a widely-spoken language, the media I'm looking for must be out there, but the problem is finding the wheat amongst the chaff since there's so much of it. Luxury problem compared to those of people learning less-spoken languages I know, but it is what it is.
2 x

User avatar
Mohave
Orange Belt
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:38 pm
Location: Florida, USA
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766
x 295

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Mohave » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you for all these wonderful recommendations! These are great!

Just as an FYI.... check your local libraries. My small-town library recently started using RBDigital, which includes digital magazines (in addition to books and audiobooks) available for download. I was very surprised to see several Spanish language magazines available - including Muy Interesante and the bi-lingual version of Highlights (which is closer for my current level now)
1 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 2: 21 / 30 Assimil: 40 / 100
French Super Challenge Pages: 661 / 5000 Movies: 1175 / 9000
My Goodreads

User avatar
Jaleel10
Orange Belt
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: Springbok, South Africa
Languages: Afrikaans (N) English (N) Spanish (A2.1)

Next: German, Polish, Portuguese, isiZulu
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606
x 227
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:09 pm

garyb wrote:On a related note, does anyone have any YouTube channels to recommend for humour and colloquial language?


You came to the right man :twisted:

I must admit that I don't know a lot.But the ones I do know, I have grown to love and watch them everyday. Even with me understanding like 60% of what they are saying :lol:

AuronPlay Dude from Barcelona, he mainly does "commentary videos" where he just makes fun of the stupidity that the internet has to offer BUT I am not here to talk about that. I am here to talk about his prank calls, which are the funniest things I have watched on the internet, not only in Spanish but I think ever :lol: I will post my 3 favourites. Hopefully it sends you down a rabbit hole.







AbiPower Very funny youtuber from Andalusia (Sevilla if I am not mistaken). She mostly does monologues and skits. She uses A LOT of slang and speaks so fast lol. But I realised that it would help me in the long run.



Nekojitablog A youtuber from Spain and his Japanese wife. Basically vlogs of their life, struggles, experiences, etc. Very entertaining




Others I enjoy but I don't watch with a lot of frequency.

Wismichu (La especialidad de este youtuber son los vídeos de humor negro)
FortfastWTF (features interviews with the "juventud of españa". Warning: SUPER OBNOXIOUS haha


I hope you enjoy some of them :D
3 x
Courses/Programs:
Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track : 5935 / 24141
Assimil : 120 / 200
Personal Challenges
Active Listening Practice: Road to 60 hours : 5 / 60
Reading: Finish 20 B1+ graded readers : 1 / 20

User avatar
eido
Green Belt
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others
x 382

Re: Spanish Group

Postby eido » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:You came to the right man :twisted:

I must admit that I don't know a lot.But the ones I do know, I have grown to love and watch them everyday. Even with me understanding like 60% of what they are saying :lol:

This is what I meant in my log by intellectually stimulating. Why weren't you here my friend
These are what I needed in my life. Gracias por darnos estos. ¿Y qué haríamos sin ti? Nada, ya sabes.
2 x

User avatar
Jaleel10
Orange Belt
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: Springbok, South Africa
Languages: Afrikaans (N) English (N) Spanish (A2.1)

Next: German, Polish, Portuguese, isiZulu
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606
x 227
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 am

Another thing

if you go to https://youtube.es/ and click on the trending tab, it shows the videos trending , great for knowing about whats happening in the culture and what-not. Also good for finding new YouTube channels. Proceed with caution.
2 x
Courses/Programs:
Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track : 5935 / 24141
Assimil : 120 / 200
Personal Challenges
Active Listening Practice: Road to 60 hours : 5 / 60
Reading: Finish 20 B1+ graded readers : 1 / 20

garyb
Blue Belt
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm
Location: Scotland
Languages: English (N)
French (advanced), Italian (advanced)
Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855
x 2551
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby garyb » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks, that's great! Prank calls (and similar things like "social experiments") aren't usually my thing but if they're done well they can be very good, and it sounds like these are! The others sound like a good variety. I'll check them out when I have time. Not sure I feel brave enough to go into the trending section ;)
1 x

User avatar
Jaleel10
Orange Belt
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 am
Location: Springbok, South Africa
Languages: Afrikaans (N) English (N) Spanish (A2.1)

Next: German, Polish, Portuguese, isiZulu
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7606
x 227
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Jaleel10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 pm

For those of you following the World Cup :P

image.jpg
image.jpg (100.24 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Courses/Programs:
Clozemaster Fluency Fast Track : 5935 / 24141
Assimil : 120 / 200
Personal Challenges
Active Listening Practice: Road to 60 hours : 5 / 60
Reading: Finish 20 B1+ graded readers : 1 / 20

galaxyrocker
Blue Belt
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:44 am
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757
x 1200

Re: Spanish Group

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:00 pm

So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I do, however, have one question that I haven't been able to get answered to my satisfaction -- when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps? I also really need to get my alveolar trill down. I just can't do it, though I can do the uvular one and other ones! It's quite frustrating, and I'm putting off improving the rest of my pronunciation until I can do that. Any tips would be appreciated there, as well.
1 x

User avatar
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Posts: 1707
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:48 pm
Location: Steinkjer, Norway
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7480
x 3580
Contact:

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I do, however, have one question that I haven't been able to get answered to my satisfaction -- when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps? I also really need to get my alveolar trill down. I just can't do it, though I can do the uvular one and other ones! It's quite frustrating, and I'm putting off improving the rest of my pronunciation until I can do that. Any tips would be appreciated there, as well.


I don’t feel confident in giving an answer to the grammar question, but here are some things that helped me to develop an alveolar trill: The difficulty lies in learning to keep the right muscle tension in your tongue. You have to have enough tension to hold your tongue up in the right position, but you have to keep the tip relaxed enough to flutter. I found it helped to practice while lying on my back. In this position, gravity helps to keep your tongue in position and you can get used to the feel of the trill. In the FSI Programmatic course, they described saying “tarde” as being like saying “totter they” really fast. That helped me a bit. I also found it helped to “bounce” off another letter, like a d or t. So, I started by working on making dr + vowel or tr + vowel sounds. Gradually, I learned to make the rr sound by itself before a vowel, and then the rr between two vowels, though for a long time I had trouble making the trill after an e.

Don’t give up. It took me a few years to get it, but now it’s easy.
1 x
(aka Easily Distracted Tortoise)

: 7416 / 50000 words - Output Challenge Spanish Writing 2018
: 548 / 3000 minutes - Output Challenge Spanish Speaking 2018

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:04 am
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)
x 204

Re: Spanish Group

Postby kulaputra » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:So a few questions I asked on my log that I'll ask here as well, in case some new people see it and can asnwer

I do, however, have one question that I haven't been able to get answered to my satisfaction -- when is the simple present used as a progressive. I asked a native-speaking acquaintance on Discord about it, and he said go with the gerund form most of the time, but then PMP used the simple present; I mentioned it to him, and he said he definitely would've leaned towards not using the progressive as a translation. The sentence was Louis llega a la puerta -- Louis is arriving at the gate/door, which he would've parsed as 'Louis arrives at the door', and not with the progressive. He also knows linguistics, so I'm inclined to listen to him, but I dunno. Is it something that has changed that quickly in Spanish, perhaps? I also really need to get my alveolar trill down. I just can't do it, though I can do the uvular one and other ones! It's quite frustrating, and I'm putting off improving the rest of my pronunciation until I can do that. Any tips would be appreciated there, as well.


I don’t feel confident in giving an answer to the grammar question, but here are some things that helped me to develop an alveolar trill: The difficulty lies in learning to keep the right muscle tension in your tongue. You have to have enough tension to hold your tongue up in the right position, but you have to keep the tip relaxed enough to flutter. I found it helped to practice while lying on my back. In this position, gravity helps to keep your tongue in position and you can get used to the feel of the trill. In the FSI Programmatic course, they described saying “tarde” as being like saying “totter they” really fast. That helped me a bit. I also found it helped to “bounce” off another letter, like a d or t. So, I started by working on making dr + vowel or tr + vowel sounds. Gradually, I learned to make the rr sound by itself before a vowel, and then the rr between two vowels, though for a long time I had trouble making the trill after an e.

Don’t give up. It took me a few years to get it, but now it’s easy.


If it helps, the Spanish /e/ is lowered to [ɛ] before /r/
1 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest