What countries have you added since 2016?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

What countries have you added since 2016?

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:28 pm

What countries have you added to your list since the April 2016 thread about countries you've visited? Any good language moments?
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: What countries have you added since 2016?

Postby Elenia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm not sure, but I think just Germany and Norway. In Germany, I managed to reply to a waiter at a buffet who shocked me with German. Not only did I reply, I also replied grammatically correctly, and he didn't seem to realise that I was so distressed about the whole situation that I was literally pulling at my hair!

In Norway, border control on the train. The lady checking our passports was really nice and friendly, and was talking with us in Norwegian. I understood a good amount of what she said, and could reply in Swedish. She said that I had the accent of the area of Sweden I live in. (Not necessarily a compliment from everyone, but I was happy :D )
5 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:42 pm

I would say it is a compliment in most circumstances! Well done :)
2 x

eebeejay
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1408

Postby eebeejay » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:13 am

Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands.

On a train from Barcelona to Nîmes I ended up sharing a compartment with another Canadian and a couple guys from France. I found the Canadian irritating. He worked in national security and was apparently friends with a prominent politician I don't like, and just wouldn't stop talking and talking, mostly in French. I was really tired and wanted to sleep so I didn't really participate much, but at one point in time he said "câlisse de tabarnac" which made the other guys look really confused. So I butted in, told Securitybro that that's not a phrase that's used in Europe. He tried "Pétain" and there was this sudden flicker of recognition in the other two guys.

I spent a bit of time in France and was able to get around without resorting to English, which made me pretty proud of myself. That was pretty much it though. I ended up in a couple conversations with people where I quickly got lost because I didn't have the right vocabulary. One was with an older character in Avignon who people seemed to know - he sat down beside me and started to rattle off what seemed to be a list of the various cases of baggage theft in places around Provence. I stayed in that conversation for way too long because I just wanted some listening practice.

The moment I crossed the border into Belgium though... everyone seemed to know right away that I'm an anglophone and it was all English from then on.
1 x
Duolinguo:
French: 26 / 156
Super Challenge:
Books: 0 / 100
Movies: 0 / 100

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Plenty of people have replied in that thread to mention new countries they've been to since their previous post :)

I have visited quite a few countries where my target languages are spoken - Croatia, Montenegro, Portugal (including Madeira), Spain/Catalonia, Austria, Italy (also Vatican and the SMOM building). Also Slovakia for the Polyglot Gathering (only interested in Slovak passively).
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tolgylop
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (可), Spanish (bastante), German (fair), Japanese (learning), Italian (learning), French (dabbling), Taiwanese (dabbling)

Postby tolgylop » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I've added: Poland, Brazil, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. Gibraltar, too, if that counts.

I also passed through airports in Iceland, Denmark, Panama, and Vietnam since my 2016 post, but can't count those as true country visits.
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 pm

tolgylop wrote:I've added: Poland, Brazil, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. Gibraltar, too, if that counts.

I also passed through airports in Iceland, Denmark, Panama, and Vietnam since my 2016 post, but can't count those as true country visits.

Gibraltar definitely counts! Airports don't :lol:
1 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”