Places to Visit in Novosibirsk and Barnaul (Russia)

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
verdastelo
Orange Belt
Languages: Punjabi (N), Hindi-Urdu (near-native), English (C1+), Russian (B1+), French (A2+), Chinese (A1+), Kannada (A0+)

Places to Visit in Novosibirsk and Barnaul (Russia)

Postby verdastelo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 am

Привет, привет!

Can you recommend a few places to visit in Novosibirsk and Barnaul? I will be in Russia from 4th July through 18th July. I am interested in exploring libraries, book shops, and places of cultural interest. The two-week stay will be an opportunity to improve my Russian. If you happen to be in either of those towns and are interested in a face-to-face conversation, please PM me or write a reply here.

Большое спасибо, дурзья!
0 x
The life of man is but a succession of vain hopes and groundless fears. — Monte(s)quieu

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Places to Visit in Novosibirsk and Barnaul (Russia)

Postby tarvos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am

I found Novosibirsk to be a very drab place. But you can try the central squares and see if something's going on.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am

I ended up in Novosibirsk on a bank holiday so all the museums were closed sadly. We had a good time though - there were some weird cafes and statues and so on! The museums will probably be pretty standard for Russian cities, but I tend to find that they are quite interesting to spend an hour or two in. There will definitely be bookshops (and much cheaper than what I am used to!). You could see if there's anything on at the theatre? It's meant to be quite impressive I think, though I don't remember why!

Let us know what you end up doing and your impressions!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

verdastelo
Orange Belt
Languages: Punjabi (N), Hindi-Urdu (near-native), English (C1+), Russian (B1+), French (A2+), Chinese (A1+), Kannada (A0+)

Postby verdastelo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am

I stayed with three families during my two-week stay in Russia, relished Russian food, went to a theatre in Novosibirisk to watch Спящая красавица, visited a few museums, went trekking in Горный алтай, joined a group of students and their teachers on their trip to a cave of the Neanderthals in Siberia, bowed in front of icons at several sacred places, bought a few books, and met many interesting, honest, and intelligent people. Now that I have tasted the culture, my desire to learn Russian has gotten stronger. I want to visit this beautiful country once again.
5 x
The life of man is but a succession of vain hopes and groundless fears. — Monte(s)quieu

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:53 am

Missed this thread. Sounds like you had a great time! Look me up next time you are in town (or any other LLorg-ers).
0 x

JohnEs
Languages: English (N), German (B2), Russian (C2)"

Postby JohnEs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Check this list to do in Novosibirsk: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/russi ... vosibirsk/
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”