Living temporarily in Japan

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Living temporarily in Japan

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:48 am

How hard do you think it'd be to get by in Japan for a year with no Japanese? I could apply for a one-year working holiday visa. It's only an idea, there are a few options to consider. It must be do-able as many 'young' people do it but, the question is, how painful is the 'doing'?

Anyone visited, worked or lived there?
0 x

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).

Re: Living temporarily in Japan

Postby Xenops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 am

Bluepaint wrote:How hard do you think it'd be to get by in Japan for a year with no Japanese?

:shock:
1 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 am

Xenops wrote:
Bluepaint wrote:How hard do you think it'd be to get by in Japan for a year with no Japanese?

In 2014, roughly 10,500 people were estimated WHV for Japan. I can't imagine many of them had a high level of English. I spent several months in a Nepali community without speaking Nepali. Then again a few of the key people did have a B2ish level of English & everyone was super friendly.
0 x

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).

Postby Xenops » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 am

Bluepaint wrote:
Xenops wrote:

In 2014, roughly 10,500 people were estimated WHV for Japan. I can't imagine many of them had a high level of English. I spent several months in a Nepali community without speaking Nepali. Then again a few of the key people did have a B2ish level of English & everyone was super friendly.

I've heard it's possible in Tokyo, but having spent a cumulative month in Osaka and outside of Hiroshima, I can't imagine surviving without either a good amount of Japanese or constantly being with people that spoke it. Perhaps you could ask SophiaMerlin_II, as she is currently in Japan.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7674
2 x

ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)

Postby ロータス » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm

Visiting/living there now.

If you find work in Tokyo, you will be fine. English in the subway, English on the maps, English at the hostels, English everywhere you need it to be. I would recommend at least learning hiragana and katakana so you can read out some things. Also do some reading on what Japan does differently from the world or watch people when you get here. Tokyo is easy to get around with just English and common sense.
0 x
Reading in one language | Learn by Reading
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Speak well: ES, DE, RU, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), FI, BG, EUS
Dabbling in: Malay
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Getting by would be easy depending on where you're based. But why would you want to get by, is my true question?
0 x
Ich stehe zwischen zwei Welten, bin in keiner daheim und habe es infolgedessen ein wenig schwer.
Preferred pronouns: feminine.

Return to “Travel and Culture”