Forum members' music performances

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: The visitors' music performances

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 am

[[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Jar-Ptitsa on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: Forum members' music performances

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 pm

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Jar-Ptitsa on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Vogeltje, you can try uploading your stuff on Soundcloud. It's very easy and they support a lot of data formats.

Okay, with much hesitation and trepidation: Here's me singing. I'm a baritone and I'm singing Gute Nacht and Der Lindenbaum from Schubert's Winterreise. As I said, the recording is very low-tech and I don't have an accompanist, so please understand it's not perfect. However, I tried to do my best. Okay, without much further ado, here it goes:

Die Winterreise ist Schuberts berühmtester Liederzyklus und handelt von einem jungen Mann, der nach der Trennung von seiner Geliebten durch die Winterlandschaft wandert. Der Zyklus ist sehr depressiv und finster, da der Protagonist mit seinem Schicksal hadert und sich zu seiner Geliebten (dem "Liebchen" oder sogar "Feinliebchen") zurücksehnt. Während der Wanderschaft verliert das lyrische Ich immer mehr seine Hoffnung und begegnet schließlich im letzten Lied einem finsteren Leiermann, der ihn mitnimmt. "Gute Nacht" ist das erste Lied des Zyklus und "Der Lindenbaum" ist sicherlich das berühmteste.

Is maith liom ceol agus is maith liom canadh. Tá súil agam go mbainfidh sibh sult as!
7 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 pm

[quote][/quote]
Last edited by Jar-Ptitsa on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:52 pm

vogeltje wrote:Your singing is with the best german pronunciation, that I dream that I can do. I love German when it's pronounced like that. I think that your voice has got a very nice tone.

Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you like my voice and my pronunciation. I've worked very hard on both in the course of my voice lessons. Good pronunciation is crucial for classical singing!

vogeltje wrote:
Josquin wrote:Is maith liom ceol agus is maith liom canadh. Tá súil agam go mbainfidh sibh sult as!

Danke für diese Infos. Ich verstehe Irisch leider nicht.

The Irish means: "I like music and I like singing. I hope you will enjoy it!"

vogeltje wrote:I have now uploaded one recording that I made yesterday. The second piece I recorded because it's by Reinecke and the name is similar to reineke who writes on this forum. I like the Corelli Sarabanda. Sorry for the screechy sound and intonation in one place wasn't accurate. The CD was too quiet as well, sorry. I will post more later.

I think you play nicely! Yes, the violin sounds screechy sometimes, but I don't mind. It's handy to have a music partner CD with the accompaniment! Maybe, I should get one for the "Winterreise". I know they exist. I look forward to your next recordings. :)
1 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Here is carolan's air, which I recorded before and is on Iversen's log, but since that I've learned vibrato and 3rd position, so I can use those. It's from a fiddler book and Jigs, Reels and Hornpipes, so I think that it's scottish or irish.

Now a piece from the same book that's called Sehidski rastanak which means A hero's farewell and the genre is Traditional Bosnian.

4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 pm

This Turlough O'Carolan composition was originally nameless, and got its new name "Carolan's Welcome" less than 30 years ago (by the Chieftains who played it as a welcoming tune for Pope John Paul II). Irish melody? Yes.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 am

Josquin wrote:The Irish means: "I like music and I like singing. I hope you will enjoy it!"

Thanks for the translation :) Irish is completely impossible if you don't know it!! :?

Josquin wrote:I think you play nicely! Yes, the violin sounds screechy sometimes, but I don't mind. It's handy to have a music partner CD with the accompaniment! Maybe, I should get one for the "Winterreise". I know they exist. I look forward to your next recordings. :)

Thank you very much :)

Yes, the schreechyness,thanks that you don't mind, but I don't like it, and my teacher said that a new violin of a better quality will make a big difference. My violin was made in a chinese factory and was very cheap, then also the strings are very cheap, and they make it screechy as well. Then of course my bow technique must improve too. I will get a new violin for Christmas, and I will make sure that the strings are better.

It's great to have the backing track on a CD. I enjoy that a lot.
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:30 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:This Turlough O'Carolan composition was originally nameless, and got its new name "Carolan's Welcome" less than 30 years ago (by the Chieftains who played it as a welcoming tune for Pope John Paul II). Irish melody? Yes.

Thanks for this interesting information. I hope that you will upload something for us to listen, I know that you're a musician.
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:47 am

One of the most recent recordings of my old black/doom metal band, which is from about a year and a half ago. I'm the guitarist at the right (stage left).

Another one, this time playing a song that I mostly wrote (I wrote the music, not the lyrics):

And a blast from the past, my older band, again metal but more metalcore/death/progressive. Video from 2011, I'm in the middle, in the Opeth t-shirt:

Sadly both these bands are now defunct and these days I'm a bedroom musician, although I'm slowly working on a solo album and I hope to eventually start playing in bands again. These days I've diversified a bit: as well as electric guitar I'm also doing some classical guitar, classical singing, and getting into jazz piano. Maybe one day I'll find the courage to upload some of my singing in Italian and French or some Spanish guitar pieces...
8 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”