Forum members' music performances

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Jiwon
Orange Belt
Languages: Korean (native)
English (secondary native)
German (C1)
Hindi (intermediate)

passable: Mandarin, Japanese

Re: Forum members' music performances

Postby Jiwon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 pm

It's so interesting to see so much of musical talent within the community.

I had another viola lesson today. As homework, my teacher told me to practise the first few bars of Boccherini's Minuet, and here's the result.

https://soundcloud.com/user-975958151/b ... nuet-day-1

What really hurts me is that all the years of choral singing gave me a musical ear that can clearly tell some of the notes are too sharp/flat, and I haven't yet developed the motor skills to get those notes right all the time.
3 x
कहाँ -
मेरा अधिवास कहाँ?

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes but just think after practising for a while you'll start to hit the right notes all the time. And then that musical ear will be very happy indeed!
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:17 pm

garyb wrote:One of the most recent recordings of my old black/doom metal band, which is from about a year and a half ago. I'm the guitarist at the right (stage left).

Wow that's great!!! You're very talented and seem a famous metal player.

garyb wrote:These days I've diversified a bit: as well as electric guitar I'm also doing some classical guitar, classical singing, and getting into jazz piano. Maybe one day I'll find the courage to upload some of my singing in Italian and French or some Spanish guitar pieces...

it would be nice. Can you improvise on the piano? I can't improvise at all or at least not good in my opinion, so i prefer to play the muisc that was composed.it would be great to hear your recordings in those languages.

Jiwon wrote:It's so interesting to see so much of musical talent within the community.

I had another viola lesson today. As homework, my teacher told me to practise the first few bars of Boccherini's Minuet, and here's the result.

https://soundcloud.com/user-975958151/b ... nuet-day-1

What really hurts me is that all the years of choral singing gave me a musical ear that can clearly tell some of the notes are too sharp/flat, and I haven't yet developed the motor skills to get those notes right all the time.

Thanks for your recording which is sweet. I like to hear the beginners and I've got a piano pupil who's a beginner. (i work in a uni café, i'm not a teacher but my pupil wanted to have lessons with me although i'm not advanced at all and a useless teacher). You can play very well after such a short time I think.

The intonation on a string instrument is very difficult and I think that it's always difficult for the professional musicians as well, so Rhian is wrong, it won't be that you hit the right notes all the time, but it will be better yes. My teacher said that the fingers develop a muscle memory for the notes. but I understand your feeling about the hurt when it's too sharp or flat!!! I have that now as well with the vibrato which is technically really difficult in ym opinion. also the 3rd position because you must find those notes as well. I suppose it's veyr important to hear accurately the intonation and if you can't then you must chose a different instrument like the piano.
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

vogeltje wrote:Wow that's great!!! You're very talented and seem a famous metal player.

Famous is an exaggeration, although we became somewhat known around the Scottish metal scene. I think that both of these bands had potential and the people I played with were excellent musicians, but there was a general laziness and lack of motivation that stopped us from really moving beyond small local gigs. That's the case for many bands in the scene: the ones that do well are the ones that not only play decent music but also work hard and have a professional attitude.

vogeltje wrote:it would be nice. Can you improvise on the piano? I can't improvise at all or at least not good in my opinion, so i prefer to play the muisc that was composed.it would be great to hear your recordings in those languages.

Not very well; I'm still a relative beginner at the piano so for now my main focus is getting my technique and sight-reading up to scratch before I get into improvisation. I played keyboard for years as a teenager, but school music education is like school language education, and the keyboard curriculum (as opposed to piano) was just static chords with the left hand and single-note melodies with the right, so proper piano playing is a big step up. Most of my guitar study in recent months has been focused on improvisation, so I'm better at it on the guitar, although in a way it can be easier on piano because it's simpler to visualise chords and scales on the keyboard. Guitar has the advantage of movable shapes, but learning to use these shapes takes a very long time.

vogeltje wrote:The intonation on a string instrument is very difficult and I think that it's always difficult for the professional musicians as well, so Rhian is wrong, it won't be that you hit the right notes all the time, but it will be better yes. My teacher said that the fingers develop a muscle memory for the notes. but I understand your feeling about the hurt when it's too sharp or flat!!! I have that now as well with the vibrato which is technically really difficult in ym opinion. also the 3rd position because you must find those notes as well. I suppose it's very important to hear accurately the intonation and if you can't then you must chose a different instrument like the piano.

I agree. I've never played a non-fretted string instrument, and with guitar and keyboard I've never had to worry too much about intonation assuming the instrument is properly tuned and set up, so singing is a big change since I have to get the notes right. It's hard for me but it's definitely helping to develop my musical ear and I'm finding ear training a lot easier now that there's the kind of feedback loop where I'm producing the sounds as well as hearing them. I reckon playing an instrument without clear divisions between the notes (including voice) and learning to intonate is very beneficial to any musician. Maybe I'll record myself singing one of the classical pieces soon so you can hear how bad mine is ;).
1 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Good stuff everyone! It all sounds great. Keep the songs coming!
1 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Well, since you ask.... ;)
http://www.pianosociety.com slash members slash neural.6777
1 x
Corrections welcome here

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Neurotip wrote:Well, since you ask.... ;)

Fantastic stuff! You're very talented, it seems. :)
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am

Josquin wrote:
Neurotip wrote:Well, since you ask.... ;)

Fantastic stuff! You're very talented, it seems. :)

you're too kind :oops:
2017's project was a piece from Messiaen's Catalogue d'oiseaux, which was in a way the Icelandic of my piano playing, i.e. difficult in some unusual ways and highly unlikely ever to come in useful at parties.
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Return to “Travel and Culture”