Plane travel

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: Plane travel

Postby Axon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm

All the flights I've been on have had English, even the low-cost ones inside of China.

The first "real-life" Indonesian I ever heard was a plane announcement. I remember not being able to understand the written Indonesian (of course there was English too) on the plane interior itself, things like "Keep your seatbelt fastened at all times." A few months later I flew domestically in Indonesia again and could understand it all. :D

I also have a happy memory of sitting next to a Chinese woman on a flight from Germany to China, speaking English and Mandarin with her. The German flight attendant came up to offer drinks and did it all in German with me, even though he'd just used English with her. Of course he could tell that I wasn't a native German speaker but it was very nice of him to accept my German as adequate for the occasion.

I feel like plane travel is so scripted, though, that as a passenger you don't really need any language at all to get things done. Boarding and immigration are different stories altogether of course.
5 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am

In Alitalia they use beautiful Italian and incomprehensible English. As far as the accent is concerned.

Air Austria has good English and pretty clear English, accompanied by waltz music to get you in the spirit!

Aegean and Olympic have both Greek and English. Some English you can understand, some not, depends on who is speaking.

Generaly they speak so fast, that I feel like I'm taking a test in listening proficiency and failing!
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 am

I've been on a couple of trilingual flights: for example when flying from Greece to Italy with Ryanair there were announcements in Greek, Italian, and English.

One interesting point is the cabin crew choosing which language to use with passengers. When I've flown to or from Spain, they've asked "¿habla usted español?" (do you speak Spanish?), while to/from/inside Italy the question is always "Lei è italiano?" (are you Italian?) since clearly nobody from outside of Italy is capable of speaking Italian :roll:. Obviously the difference is almost entirely due to Spanish being the language of another nineteen countries, but I still find it quite telling and it's a strange one to react to: of course I'm not Italian, but answering no means having to struggle in English (invariably they don't speak it that well and can barely understand my accent), and saying "no but I speak the language" just gets a blank stare because it's so far from the norm.
6 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am

When I flew home from the Czech Republic to the Netherlands last weekend, the flight was fully booked so they couldn't take my hand luggage in the cabin. So this woman from ground staff came up to me, asked "mluvite cesky" ("Do you speak Czech") and I said "Ano" (yes). She proceeded to ask me for my luggage and I asked "co se deje s bagazem" and she said I would be able to collect it at baggage reclaim at Schiphol. So apparently, although staff spoke English, they definitely preferred to speak Czech with me.

And this did not get a stare at all. Apparently they just figured I seemed to know what I was doing.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:01 am

tarvos wrote:When I flew home from the Czech Republic to the Netherlands last weekend, the flight was fully booked so they couldn't take my hand luggage in the cabin. So this woman from ground staff came up to me, asked "mluvite cesky" ("Do you speak Czech") and I said "Ano" (yes). She proceeded to ask me for my luggage and I asked "co se deje s bagazem" and she said I would be able to collect it at baggage reclaim at Schiphol. So apparently, although staff spoke English, they definitely preferred to speak Czech with me.

Hey! Score one for the FLC. I understood the first two Czech sentences and the first word of the last. :lol:
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 am

I wasn't using the diacritics, so I don't blame you. The last phrase means "what's going on with the luggage?" Co se děje is a very common phrase in Czech, it means something like "what's going on?"
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 am

I love flying Icelandair. When they land in Iceland, they say "welcome to Iceland" in English... but "welcome home" in Icelandic!

I guess that means that if you speak Icelandic, you can consider Iceland your home. :)
3 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”