Plane travel

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Plane travel

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am

In-flight announcements :D (many are fun for language-related reasons)

Let's also make this the thread for discussing air travel (unless you have specific questions that require a separate thread).
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Plane travel

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Some of those are really funny :-)

I'm flying from Lisbon to Madrid in a couple of weeks, which I think will be the first time I fly between two different countries neither of whose languages I speak. I'm hoping if the plane is going to crash, they'll announce it in English :lol:
4 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Radioclare wrote:Some of those are really funny :-)

I'm flying from Lisbon to Madrid in a couple of weeks, which I think will be the first time I fly between two different countries neither of whose languages I speak. I'm hoping if the plane is going to crash, they'll announce it in English :lol:

But ignorance is bliss, no? :lol: I suppose other passengers might give it away though ;)
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I think most crews use their country's language and English. This even happens on flights between Russia and Belarus, though if there are no foreigners onboard, using English is just a formality and they speak so fast that I can barely understand them. :lol:

I don't know what the regulations are, especially for lowcost airlines' flights that don't involve the country where they are registered. I flew Ryanair from Gdańsk to Warsaw and the crew appeared to be Polish natives.

I'm following a Russian pilot's blog btw. He said they sometimes use(d) English in the cabin just to practice :) Nowadays he works for Oman Air and he only uses English. There's no requirement for announcements in Arabic.
2 x
Corrections welcome

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I love the Irish airline Aer Lingus. They have announcements in Irish and English, which is super interesting given that Irish is only a minority language. Sure, this has to do with the official status of Irish as the national language of Ireland, but I always wonder how many people actually understand what the crew is saying to them. :lol: On the other hand, Irish busses, trams, and trains also have bilingual announcements, so it seems only consequent.
5 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Postby stelingo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Radioclare wrote:Some of those are really funny :-)

I made this exact same flight 5 weeks ago with TAP. Announcements were in Portuguese and English. (Maybe Spanish too, I don't remember). And we didn't crash. :)

Also was on a flight from Seville to Barcelona with Vueling. Announcements were in Spanish and English throughout the flight, until we landed, when they also added Catalan when making the welcome announcement.
3 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I've taken this flight too (with TAP Express/Portugalia) :D
1 x
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:58 pm

stelingo wrote:I made this exact same flight 5 weeks ago with TAP. Announcements were in Portuguese and English. (Maybe Spanish too, I don't remember). And we didn't crash. :)

Seems like this is a popular flight :) It's good to know that there are announcements in English. And that it didn't crash :lol:
1 x

jaeger
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (int), Finnish (new)

Postby jaeger » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I've flown to Australia via Doha or Dubai a few times, and I quite enjoy the Arabic announcements as a non-speaker. It sounds cool, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to learning it.

The first ~20 hour journey was pretty long, but now that I've done it a few times, it's pretty easy and all other travel pales in comparison :D It would probably be horrendous on a budget airline, though. Qatar Airways and Emirates are really nice.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:50 am

English is mandated for flight crew involved in international flights:

http://www.aviation-esl.com/ICAO_English.htm

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55677/what-universal-language-skies

And expected in air traffic control too (see Language section of this Wikipedia article):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_traffic_control
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”