Plane travel

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Serpent
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Plane travel

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:13 am

In-flight announcements :D (many are fun for language-related reasons)

Let's also make this the thread for discussing air travel (unless you have specific questions that require a separate thread).
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)

Radioclare
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Plane travel

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Some of those are really funny :-)

I'm flying from Lisbon to Madrid in a couple of weeks, which I think will be the first time I fly between two different countries neither of whose languages I speak. I'm hoping if the plane is going to crash, they'll announce it in English :lol:
4 x

Bluepaint
Blue Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Radioclare wrote:Some of those are really funny :-)

I'm flying from Lisbon to Madrid in a couple of weeks, which I think will be the first time I fly between two different countries neither of whose languages I speak. I'm hoping if the plane is going to crash, they'll announce it in English :lol:

But ignorance is bliss, no? :lol: I suppose other passengers might give it away though ;)
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

I think most crews use their country's language and English. This even happens on flights between Russia and Belarus, though if there are no foreigners onboard, using English is just a formality and they speak so fast that I can barely understand them. :lol:

I don't know what the regulations are, especially for lowcost airlines' flights that don't involve the country where they are registered. I flew Ryanair from Gdańsk to Warsaw and the crew appeared to be Polish natives.

I'm following a Russian pilot's blog btw. He said they sometimes use(d) English in the cabin just to practice :) Nowadays he works for Oman Air and he only uses English. There's no requirement for announcements in Arabic.
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:23 pm

I love the Irish airline Aer Lingus. They have announcements in Irish and English, which is super interesting given that Irish is only a minority language. Sure, this has to do with the official status of Irish as the national language of Ireland, but I always wonder how many people actually understand what the crew is saying to them. :lol: On the other hand, Irish busses, trams, and trains also have bilingual announcements, so it seems only consequent.
4 x
Ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, Μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσε·
(Homer: Odyssey, ll. 1-2)

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2/B1), Japanese (A1), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner). Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak

Postby stelingo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Radioclare wrote:Some of those are really funny :-)

I made this exact same flight 5 weeks ago with TAP. Announcements were in Portuguese and English. (Maybe Spanish too, I don't remember). And we didn't crash. :)

Also was on a flight from Seville to Barcelona with Vueling. Announcements were in Spanish and English throughout the flight, until we landed, when they also added Catalan when making the welcome announcement.
2 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Serpent
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I've taken this flight too (with TAP Express/Portugalia) :D
1 x

Radioclare
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:58 pm

stelingo wrote:I made this exact same flight 5 weeks ago with TAP. Announcements were in Portuguese and English. (Maybe Spanish too, I don't remember). And we didn't crash. :)

Seems like this is a popular flight :) It's good to know that there are announcements in English. And that it didn't crash :lol:
1 x
Assimil Russisch - 1.Welle: 41 / 71
Assimil Russisch - 2.Welle: 6 / 71
Colloquial Russian: 8 / 18

Return to “Travel and Culture”