The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: The Polyglot Gathering, Bratislava 2017

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:40 pm

rdearman wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Just for fun, how many total languages can this group speak?

I will have a try at remembering.
  • English
  • Norwegian
  • Swedish
  • Russian
  • Finnish
  • Danish
  • French
  • Italian
  • Spanish
  • German
  • Mandarin
  • Japanese
  • Esperanto
  • Polish
  • Croatian
  • Belarusian
  • Irish
  • Kazakh
  • Romanian
  • Portuguese
  • Greek
  • Czech
  • Bavarian
  • Hebrew
  • Icelandic
  • Hungarian
I love how about a third of those are on the list thanks to tarvos, yet you left out her native language :lol:

Looking at the picture now, I guess I should have taken that damn hat off..
5 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:14 am

In which language do you talk among youselves, then? And how do you decide?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:17 am

smallwhite wrote:In which language do you talk among youselves, then? And how do you decide?

Not all of us have a lot of languages in common, so it ends up being mostly English. Also, I find my language levels plummet in that environment with the noise and crowds and lack of sleep. I thought I was the only one, but I found out that other people also struggle a bit.

Anyway, I spoke mostly English, but I was involved briefly in a Spanish language conversation with Zenmonkey and a Spaniard whose name I forget, though I didn't say much myself. I spoke with Cristina sometimes in Norwegian and other times in English. And when I was in the big Thalia bookstore in Vienna and found the mother lode of language books, I ran down the stairs with my arms full of German grammar books, looking for Dave, and I was so excited I accidentally spoke German for probably the third time in my life. :oops: Oh, and I also had some text-chats in Esperanto, if that counts.

I also had some conversations in Norwegian, Spanish and Japanese with non-forum people during the Gathering.
4 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:24 pm

English usually, but with Cristina it switches to Spanish or some kind of Scandi-thing (and occasionally French) as well as English. With vonPeterhof Russian gets mixed in. With Jeff it's nearly always Swedish.

I'm not Dutch, secretly :p
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:30 am

You also dragged me out of the English bubble, thanks for that :P
My weirdest experience was speaking Polish with a German guy :) We've also spoken a little Italian.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 am

I spoke mostly English because that seemed to be the common language when 3 or more people got together but I spoke Spanish quite a bit, French too. I think I had 3-4 short exchanges in German.

My decision process was to look at the badge or guess. I tend to codeswitch to Spanish/French with people who have that language as their first language - and then I'll ask about if that is ok. So Brun Ugle got a blast of Spanish and a few people go some French when we had lunch with Hugues or helped at the ASSIMIL table. Rdearman and I had a French walk back from a lunch. Bit and pieces here and there.

My Hebrew was disappointingly weak but that is ok, I was expecting that.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:24 am

zenmonkey wrote:I spoke mostly English because that seemed to be the common language when 3 or more people got together but I spoke Spanish quite a bit, French too. I think I had 3-4 short exchanges in German.

My decision process was to look at the badge or guess. I tend to codeswitch to Spanish/French with people who have that language as their first language - and then I'll ask about if that is ok. So Brun Ugle got a blast of Spanish and a few people go some French when we had lunch with Hugues or helped at the ASSIMIL table. Rdearman and I had a French walk back from a lunch. Bit and pieces here and there.

I really enjoyed the blasts of Spanish, but I got the feeling that you and that guy whose name I can't remember thought you should switch to English for my benefit. I didn't say much, but I understood what you were saying.

My problem is that all my languages get really bad in that environment. I'm usually much more fluent in Spanish than I was at the Gathering. I just don't do as well without any warm-up time. I think I need to practice switching between languages as well as practicing the languages individually.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:52 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I spoke mostly English because that seemed to be the common language when 3 or more people got together but I spoke Spanish quite a bit, French too. I think I had 3-4 short exchanges in German.

I really enjoyed the blasts of Spanish, but I got the feeling that you and that guy whose name I can't remember thought you should switch to English for my benefit. I didn't say much, but I understood what you were saying.

My problem is that all my languages get really bad in that environment. I'm usually much more fluent in Spanish than I was at the Gathering. I just don't do as well without any warm-up time. I think I need to practice switching between languages as well as practicing the languages individually.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. At first I did get that impression that we should switch but you made it clear that it was okay and I was fine with keeping it in Spanish for as long as it went. If I remember correctly, we did eventually switch over and switch back ... I had moments when switching into German was impossible.

I think we are trained to not be rude and this means switching to a language that facilitates communication for all. For example, my girlfriend hates when I speak to her in a study language she doesn't speak. She growls at me. At the polyglot gathering, it is quite the opposite and we generally enjoy hearing something different and know things will switch about soon ... I need to get into my head for the next one that it is expected that some focused talking will occur. And that it is fun to hear for others, I know I immensely enjoyed some of the talking that was going on around me where I only got a tiny bit of the content or where I was a passive listener.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 am

It is overwhelmingly in English. In fact I had a Frenchman tell me: I didn't come here to speak French. The implication being that I should continue to speak in English. Most of my French speaking was with non-native speakers. Bit of a chat in Italian the day after the gathering ended on the castle tour with a nice Italian chap.

They had a non-english area which was a great idea, but would have been nice to have a lecture room dedicated to non-english. Some people were organising impromptu meetups in variuos languages. I think Brun Ugle went to a Japanese one.

I'd say if you're planning on language practice in anything but English you will be disappointed.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:59 am

I think you can make of it what you will to some extent. There were people that spoke languages other than English a lot of the time. You just have to hang out with the right people. Of course, it helps also to know some languages to a level where you can have an intelligent conversation. I'm hoping to learn to express myself a little more elegantly in some other languages because then I won't have to choose between speaking English or sounding stupid.
3 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”