Questions about travelling in Sweden

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Questions about travelling in Sweden

Postby hhiusa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 pm

If money was not an issue, where in Sweden would you choose to vacation? What activities would you do? I would prefer to avoid places that tourists flock to. I do not like big cities.

Om pengar inte var ett problem, vär i Sverige skulle du välja att gå? Vilka verksamhet kulle du göra? Jag tycker inte om platser med flera turister. Jag tycker inte om stora städer.
0 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)

Re: Questions about travelling in Sweden

Postby hhiusa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Bones wrote:I'd go to Stockholm and take a boat ride to Finland :D

Do you have anymore details about Stockholm? Like, why Stockholm? I want to do a short term rental for like a month. Good restaurants? Places to avoid?
1 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt

Postby hhiusa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:41 pm

Bones wrote:Stockholm is likely your best bet unless you have anything specific in mind, like let's say skiing, or you know someone in the country who can show you around. It has the highest concentration of Swedish landmasrks and museums, like for example the Royal palace, Vasa museum and the old town. It's also the largest city in Scandinavia and therefore has good shopping opportunities and a plenty of restaurants to choose from. The Stureplan area has some expensive ones. You can move around the center of the city easily by metro and on foot. The easily accessible areas are safe and the city is beatiful during summer. You can travel between Stockholm and Helsinki by cruise ship. But then again, it might be too touristy for you and there might not be enough stuff to do for a whole month.

Thank you. Most people might need to be entertained the entire time that they are there, but I am fine to just meet people and maybe relax in a nice house and soak the atmosphere. I mentioned one month because I would be willing to rent a house for a month. Short term rentals require at least a month for anything I would consider staying in. I do not like airbnb or bed and breakfast joints. I found a few nice places that are unfurnished that I like. One on the water in Stora Essingen, one in Nörrmalm facing a park (questionable) and another in lidingö.

Why does everyone seemingly want to be in the center of Stockholm?

I have heard that lidingö is a very nice area. What do you think? I also saw the show Solsidan. Is that supposed to be like the Swedish version of The Hamptons?
0 x

Colorblend
Languages: Swedish(N), Norwegian (good), English (fluent), German (can get by), Spanish (Knows a little bit), Portuguese (Beginner), Russian (just started studying)

Postby Colorblend » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Hello Hhiusa, I am Swedish and typically the "locals", if we choose to use that word, are not very good at recommendations for tourists actually. I think there is truth to that wherever you go, people just go about their daily lives and they do not think like a tourist so they don't have a sightseeing day full of activities scheduled in their heads. You are probably better off talking to other tourists who travelled there and can tell you what they did with their time.

As for Stockholm, go in june-august because summer is what makes it great. There are plenty of museums (as most big cities) and a beautiful old town. Nice parks, you can go on ferry rides in the archipelago or even to Finland or the baltic countries. Beers at a seaside bar are must.

Stora Essingen is a good area I believe. Lidingö is one of the most expensive parts of Stockholm where some of the wealthier people live. Remember that those who study Swedish have a pretty hard time in Sweden since virtually everyone speaks English, and we kinda like speaking it so we end up using you for practice instead of the other way around. As soon as people hear your accent they will start to talk English so you may want to preface conversations with "Hello, I am learning Swedish and I like to practice" or something like that.

If you are into nature I suggest you head much further north than Stockholm. It is a rather big and sparsely populated country and in the north you find vast areas of forests, mountains and lakes and a good network of trekking paths, cabins and camping sites. If you go in winter there are good ski resorts with plenty of activities.
2 x

kitty77
Languages: English

Postby kitty77 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Hello,

Vasa museum is a popular museum for tourist attraction because this museum expressed its virtuality & now it is a popular museum in the world of visitors.so you can see this museum.
thanks...
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:16 pm

I would go to Swedish Lapland. Kiruna is said to be one of the best places for watching the Northern lights, because they have more days with clear skies than other similar places.

However it's probably quite a touristy area (though presumably Finnish Rovaniemi is more touristy). You can get some idea of what's available by reading forum members' Radioclare and meddysong (Clare and Tim) blog - https://timeofftakeoff.com/tags/finland In winter it's stuff like snowshoe walking, skiing, husky rides, most likely you can also visit a husky or reindeer farm. Fishing is also an option.

In summer you can of course enjoy the midnight sun, and again stuff like sports and fishing if that's your thing.

If you do go there be sure to look into ways of exploring the Saami culture.

But in your particular case, another option could be to choose a Stockholm suburb? That's where ordinary people live so you should be able to find somewhere to stay. You can certainly find some area with great nature, maybe even stay on an island if you want. Of course it would be ridiculous not to visit Stockholm a couple of times but you can plan to avoid big crowds, e.g. go on weekdays. You can also go to somewhere like Uppsala (oldest university in Sweden/Scandinavia) and probably many other places, and of course you should absolutely go to Finland as well :P

Speaking of Finland, if your goal is to practise your Swedish, maybe you can go to the Åland islands? That's a Swedish-speaking autonomy. There are also other places in Finland where you'll run into many Swedish speakers (Vasa, Jakobstad, Borgå - I'm listing their Swedish names here obviously), just remember that not everyone speaks/likes it :D

In general, have you tried this style of travelling before? If yes, where?
Perhaps consider renting a camper/trailer? I'd say if you want to avoid big cities like Stockholm, you won't see much by staying in the same place for a month. (unless you choose a specific area and explore it in detail, I guess - maybe Gotland? :? a prominent forum member lives there :))

In terms of language learning, remember that Swedish has very diverse dialects (and there are some minority languages too). Not everyone is good at toning down their dialect with foreigners, to the point that switching to English may be a necessity.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I would love to visit Dalarna, Växjö, Östersund and Sundsvall.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”