Culture sharing and suggestions

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Culture sharing and suggestions

Postby Jimjam » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:02 am

I thought it might be a fun idea to have a thread where we can share little things about our or another culture that you like or think others might like. This can be anything from food, to music, history, or customs or anything in between! I feel like this forum would be the perfect place for this as generally with an interest in languages comes an interest in other cultures. I thought of this earlier when I was eating an australian food which I realised that i wont have next year in Germany and realised that I'll be able to make it and let some Germans try it.
It was a lamington. It's an australian desert which consists of a sponge cake with a chocolate sauce type outer layer then coated in coconut. Some of them can have cream or jam or both in them depending on what you like. When I try to think of "traditional" australian food, outside of meat pies with tomato sauce, and vegemite, these are the first I think of.
I recommend you to bake them and try them if you've ever been (for whatever reason) curious about Australian food, or if you just want a delicious baked treat!
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Culture sharing and suggestions

Postby rdearman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Jimjam wrote:I thought it might be a fun idea to have a thread where we can share little things about our or another culture that you like or think others might like. This can be anything from food, to music, history, or customs or anything in between! I feel like this forum would be the perfect place for this as generally with an interest in languages comes an interest in other cultures. I thought of this earlier when I was eating an australian food which I realised that i wont have next year in Germany and realised that I'll be able to make it and let some Germans try it.
It was a lamington. It's an australian desert which consists of a sponge cake with a chocolate sauce type outer layer then coated in coconut. Some of them can have cream or jam or both in them depending on what you like. When I try to think of "traditional" australian food, outside of meat pies with tomato sauce, and vegemite, these are the first I think of.
I recommend you to bake them and try them if you've ever been (for whatever reason) curious about Australian food, or if you just want a delicious baked treat!

A link to a recipe would be nice!

American culture? hummm.... don't know, but here is a nice recipe for Apple Pie. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-pie
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Jimjam
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese N4, German B1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1789

Postby Jimjam » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:55 am

rdearman wrote: A link to a recipe would be nice!

This seems to be a good recipe though i'm definitely no baker!
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24553/lamingtons

Home-made apple pie is amazing. I already see this thread giving me many temptations :lol:
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 pm

This time last year I was asked by a brazilian lady why everyone had suddenly started wearing little paper poppies.

------

I think apple crumble is a british dessert. I remember reading about a french lady being impressed by a TV chef's introduction of it to France, I think Mr Oliver, so I'll link to his apple crumble recipe. :-)
0 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:00 pm

Here's a very engaging recipe for clafoutis, which is, by the way, the greatest food invention of mankind (personal opinion, am willing to be challenged).
1 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Ari
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (native), English (loads), French (much), Spanish (much), Cantonese (fair), Mandarin (fair), Portuguese (a lot), German (mostly passive), Italian (mostly passive), Japanese (beginner).

Postby Ari » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:25 pm

We're getting close to December, and people not familiar with Scandinavian culture might not have heard of Lucia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLycexat2xk

I think it's the most beautiful part of Swedish traditional culture.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:33 pm

Ari wrote:We're getting close to December, and people not familiar with Scandinavian culture might not have heard of Lucia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLycexat2xk

I think it's the most beautiful part of Swedish traditional culture.
I went to Denmark some years back. There seemed to be a custom of leaving a solitary candle burning in public rooms. What was that about?
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Seeing that culture sharing includes the sharing of recipes, I want to contribute with a true Alsatian speciality: baeckoffe. It is a casserole dish and really slow food, you have to start preparing it at least 24 hours before you plan to eat it. Her is a recipe in English and another one in French. Please note that the recipes are for six and ten portions respectively, so unless you have a big family or are really hungry you may want to reduce the quantity proportionally if you are cooking for less people :) .
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “Travel and Culture”