How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 pm

No. Because Ireland isn't in the UK.

Edit: Which is something three people took time to explain and has already been explained previously in the thread.
0 x

SCMT
White Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby SCMT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Bluepaint wrote:No. Because Ireland isn't in the UK.

Edit: Which is something three people took time to explain and has already been explained previously in the thread.

I understand humor is sometimes difficult to convey on a message board, and that it is even more difficult to convey through cultural barriers, and those difficulties may be compounded on a site with native speakers of a multitude of languages, but my post was a small attempt at it.

Having been to the UK on several occasions, and more recently having watched the video and looked at the map in this thread, I've got a decent understanding of the political borders of the British Isles. I also wanted to make a somewhat snide but possibly interesting comment on the difficulty of neat categorization of messy political jurisdictions, such as is represented by several Caribbean Island nations and the United Kingdom. I am sure there are many more examples available in the complex political geography around the world, but those are the two regions with unclear definitions of "countries" (as found in the thread title) of which I am personally familiar.

So, to answer the original question:

US
Mexico
Canada
Bahamas
Aruba
England
Scotland
Ireland
France
Italy
Netherlands