How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Marais

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby Marais » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 pm

Not many.

England, Scotland, Wales, France, Spain and Greece.

Want to go to Germany, Norway, Italy and possibly Poland at some point though.

Personally i'm not interested in visiting places outside of Europe. My sister lives in NZ but i'll be damned if i'm gonna pay £1000 a ticket to go there for a holiday.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm

124, with Republica Dominicana as the last one so far. But the funny thing is that I have had most fun of my languages in Europe - outside Europe I'm basically limited to speaking English, Spanish, Portuguese and French. Some day I may also do a monolingual trip to Indonesia, but not this year. And the rest of the Asian languages are so far not on my agenda.
4 x

Fangio
White Belt
Languages: Main: French (N), English (F)
Working on: Spanish (around B2), Japanese (written: B1/2, spoken: A2), Chinese (A1/2, around HSK3)
Also: Russian (ultra-beginner), Hindi (learned the script, learned and forgot newbie sentences), Korean (learned and forgot the script), Polish (abandoned before even beginning)

Postby Fangio » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Marais wrote:Personally i'm not interested in visiting places outside of Europe.

Pretty sad, but well... To each his own... I just hope it's not only the cost of it, since there are lots of places actually cheaper than travelling within Europe (taking into account the cost of accommodation, food, local transports, etc.).

As for me :
- Europe: France ( :!: ), UK (strictly speaking only England -mainly around 10 times in London-, can't wait to go to Scotland), Spain (Barcelona & San Sebastian), Italy (Venice, Tuscany, Rome x3, Milan x2, Naples and surroundings, Lakes area), Switzerland (mostly Geneva and Zurich), Germany (Munich), Portugal (Lisbon), Belgium (Brussels, Gent, Brugge), Luxembourg, Netherlands (Amsterdam), Bulgaria (Sofia), Denmark (Copenhagen), Greece (mostly Athens, also some islands when I was a kid), Hungary (Budapest), Latvia (Vilnius), Czech Republic (Prague), Romania (Bucarest), Turkey (Istanbul once, the Asian side once, for simplicity, I'm shoving Turkey in Europe even though the majority of it is not).
- Americas: US (NY once, Nashville once), Canada (once, in Quebec)
- Asia: China (incl. HK and Macao), Japan, India twice, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia (yes, I know it is mainly in Oceania), Myanmar (not yet, but planes tickets booked for this summer :-)), Israel, Georgia (not the US state!)
- Africa: Morocco, Tunisia

Thinking of going to South America but pretty put off by the lack of safety...
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Iversen wrote:124, with Republica Dominicana as the last one so far.

We have a winner! :) Seriously though, that is impressive. It will be easier for you to list the countries you have not yet visited.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

Marais

Postby Marais » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Fangio wrote:
Marais wrote:Personally i'm not interested in visiting places outside of Europe.

Pretty sad, but well... To each his own... I just hope it's not only the cost of it, since there are lots of places actually cheaper than travelling within Europe (taking into account the cost of accommodation, food, local transports, etc.).

Sad? There are a thousand lifetimes to discover within my own continent which are part of my own heritage. If being apart from the crowd in this modern globalised world where someone who knows nothing about their own culture feels drawn to an alien one makes me 'sad', then i'll take it as a compliment. ;)
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:43 pm

UK (England, Scotland), Ireland, Germany, Norway, Spain, Finland.

A long time ago (the 90s) I decided that I wouldn't travel to countries where I didn't speak the language, and to this day I've never travelled to a country without some preparation to speak (a little of) the official language if need be. OK, Swedish works in Norway, and also in Åland (a monolingually Swedish region in Finland), but I studied some basic Finnish before a trip to the mainland.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:05 pm

I do more or less the same as jeff, and since I have to prepare my abroad trips at least two years beforehand, I too have only travelled to places where I know the language.

The Americas
Brazil (place of birth)
Aruba
Curaçao

Europe
France
Spain
Italy
Germany
Austria
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Fangio wrote:Latvia (Vilnius), ...

Vilnius is in Lithuania.
My apologies for being a nerd :geek: !
1 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
A long time ago (the 90s) I decided that I wouldn't travel to countries where I didn't speak the language,

That would be my instinct too, although sometimes family reasons might dictate otherwise. We were scheduled to go on an organised trip to Bangladesh this year, but it got cancelled due to lack of take-up, so we ended up going on a cruise around Norway instead (rather more to my taste, if only because I don't tolerate heat and humidity very well). I'm not really an adventurous traveller at all, but this is my list so far:

Europe

The Republic of Ireland

Denmark
Norway
Sweden

(Channel Islands - not technically a part of the UK. It's a "Crown Dependency").
Belgium
Netherlands
France
Germany
Austria (but only briefly)
Italy
Spain
Switzerland

Americas

Cuba (heat and humidity were a big problem for me here)
Peru
USA (NYC; Kansas).

Africa

South Africa

(A family joke is that (before we went to RSA), my wife had been to Africa before, but "only for a day trip". What happened was that she went on a sea cruise with her school. It included the Mediterranean, and although it wasn't a scheduled stop, they had to put into one of the Moroccan ports (I forget which one for the moment) because of bad weather).

Places I feel I should have been to, but haven't yet include:

The Orkney and Shetland Islands.
The Scilly Islands
The Isle of Man
Northern Ireland

Portugal
Chile
Argentina (including Patagonia).
Australia
New Zealand
Canada

(Edited to add Switzerland to places visited)
Last edited by Montmorency on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Paul S.
White Belt

Postby Paul S. » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I have visited several countries in the course of many years,but only within Europe.I have not visited any countries outside Europe.

Here are the countries.

Ireland.
Britain.
France.

Belgium.
Luxembourg.
Monaco.

Switzerland.
Netherlands.
Hungary.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”