How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 am

SCMT wrote:
Serpent wrote:
cjareck wrote:My first trip abroad was to Czechoslovakia - I was 12 years old, and they were not separated yet. Does it count as two? ;)
If you went to Bratislava or somewhere else which is now Slovakia, I don't see why you shouldn't count it :)

How should one count Caribbean Islands? I mean, USVI might be the United States, and the Caymans might be UK, but what is Aruba? Is St. Martin France? Is St. Maarten Holland? Is St. Martin/St. Maarten just St. Maarten? Is St. Barths different?

And by the way, how should I count the parts of the UK?

I started to post a number and confused myself.

I count them individually. The UK has four constituent countries so potentially you can 'get' four more on your list if you visited the whole thing properly. The overseas territories I count as individual countries.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:23 am

Bluepaint wrote: I count them individually. The UK has four constituent countries so potentially you can 'get' four more on your list if you visited the whole thing properly. The overseas territories I count as individual countries.

I agree, but if I can spill a dark secret about quite a lot of us on this side of the Atlantic who have not had the pleasure of visiting, most of us really aren't sure of what the United Kingdom actually is, what it includes, whether it is different from Britain, whether either or both may be different from Great Britain, whether the "BR" in "Brexit" refers to Britain or to the UK, and which Ireland is which.
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 am

I like the lists on mtp.travel and nomadmania.com. They include many individual regions (especially the latter).
whether either or both may be different from Great Britain
https://cdn.britannica.com/s:500x350/41 ... 9FCB25.jpg
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:15 am

lavengro wrote:
Bluepaint wrote: I count them individually. The UK has four constituent countries so potentially you can 'get' four more on your list if you visited the whole thing properly. The overseas territories I count as individual countries.

I agree, but if I can spill a dark secret about quite a lot of us on this side of the Atlantic who have not had the pleasure of visiting, most of us really aren't sure of what the United Kingdom actually is, what it includes, whether it is different from Britain, whether either or both may be different from Great Britain, whether the "BR" in "Brexit" refers to Britain or to the UK, and which Ireland is which.

Oh I know. I know. And the Br of Brexit is simply because Ukexit sounds rather vulgar ;-) Sidenote: There is a very flammable political joke to be made there so clap yourself on the back of you can spot it. I won't make it here as I really don't want to temporarily ban myself. :lol:

I have never understood the Ireland problem. You've the island of Ireland called Ireland. Split into Northern Ireland, where there was a spot of bother for a little while, and the Republic of Ireland, frequently known as Ireland. The brother of Ireland (the country, not the island) is sometimes know as N.I. for short, unless it is being spoken about by people who don't know geography, current affairs etc in which case it is erroneously called Ireland. Unless it is being called Ireland by a N.Irelander in which case it is not erroneous. And sometimes Ireland and N.I. are talked about together and are called Ireland due to their cultural, historical, social and economic ties. I mean really, it's so simple ;) Having lived there, even if I hadn't lived there I guess, I say always call N.I. N.I. as it can come across as a political opinion/statement otherwise.
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:17 am

Oh and I am sure you know Lavengro but for anyone who is uncertain:
G.B. is Scotland, England and Wales. Add in N.Ireland and you have the UK.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:31 am

2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Serpent wrote:https://cdn.britannica.com/s:500x350/41/193441-004-F59FCB25.jpg
Since nobody opens links
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 pm

rdearman wrote:

So if I've been to England, Scotland and Ireland, that's 3 plus Britain is 4 and the UK is 5?

Just kidding!

Kinda.
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 pm

No. Because Ireland isn't in the UK.

Edit: Which is something three people took time to explain and has already been explained previously in the thread.
1 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Bluepaint wrote:No. Because Ireland isn't in the UK.

Edit: Which is something three people took time to explain and has already been explained previously in the thread.

I understand humor is sometimes difficult to convey on a message board, and that it is even more difficult to convey through cultural barriers, and those difficulties may be compounded on a site with native speakers of a multitude of languages, but my post was a small attempt at it.

Having been to the UK on several occasions, and more recently having watched the video and looked at the map in this thread, I've got a decent understanding of the political borders of the British Isles. I also wanted to make a somewhat snide but possibly interesting comment on the difficulty of neat categorization of messy political jurisdictions, such as is represented by several Caribbean Island nations and the United Kingdom. I am sure there are many more examples available in the complex political geography around the world, but those are the two regions with unclear definitions of "countries" (as found in the thread title) of which I am personally familiar.

So, to answer the original question:

US
Mexico
Canada
Bahamas
Aruba
England
Scotland
Ireland
France
Italy
Netherlands