How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby Hank » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:47 am

Rhian wrote:
Hank wrote:Just to make everyone who wrote "I don't feel well travelled", and then proceeded to post 20 countries, here's my list to make you feel better.

USA
England
Wales
Scotland

:lol:

When I was a kid we travelled all over the U.S. and one time to Great Britain. My dad had a schedule for every day and tried to pack as much into each day as possible. No free time or really even time to relax. I hated that and really lost my taste for travelling. Since I started learning languages, though, I feel the travel bug. No schedules! My wife and I (and maybe my stepdaughter) are just going to show up and do whatever we want. Even if we just want to sit in a hotel room all day!

My current travel plans:

2018- Take a cruise to Mexico that hopefully also goes to a South American country or two.
2019- Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England

But what about Northern Ireland? :-/ NI is nice too :(

My apologies. I didn't realize that Northern Ireland was it's own country. :oops:
2 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 am

Serpent wrote:
Rhian wrote:But what about Northern Ireland? :-/ NI is nice too :(
To the rest of the world the 4 parts of the UK aren't even separate countries :D :P

But they have their own football teams - surely that makes them a country :lol:

I've had the opposite experience abroad, with people understanding what England is but never having heard of the UK. Most notably in Sardinia when trying to check into an apartment; the lady who owned it asked to see our passports to help her fill out some sort of official registration form, and then got massively confused because they said "United Kingdom" on the front and she didn't think that was a valid country name to fill in on the form. My boyfriend tried to explain it to her in Italian, but she had genuinely never heard of it and was on the verge of refusing to let us check in. Eventually she called her husband to come and sort it out and luckily he understood :D

To go back to the topic of the thread, I've visited Denmark, the Netherlands and the Vatican since my last post in this thread, which now brings me up to 30 European countries :)
2 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 am

Radioclare wrote:
Serpent wrote:
To the rest of the world the 4 parts of the UK aren't even separate countries :D :P

But they have their own football teams - surely that makes them a country :lol:

I've had the opposite experience abroad, with people understanding what England is but never having heard of the UK. Most notably in Sardinia when trying to check into an apartment; the lady who owned it asked to see our passports to help her fill out some sort of official registration form, and then got massively confused because they said "United Kingdom" on the front and she didn't think that was a valid country name to fill in on the form. My boyfriend tried to explain it to her in Italian, but she had genuinely never heard of it and was on the verge of refusing to let us check in. Eventually she called her husband to come and sort it out and luckily he understood :D

To go back to the topic of the thread, I've visited Denmark, the Netherlands and the Vatican since my last post in this thread, which now brings me up to 30 European countries :)

I've had airline staff at airports refuse to help because they don't know what the UK is, have had immigration officials question it, even had a immigratiom dept that phoned my boss (was working abroad) the day after they visited to do a visa check and ask about my country again. Actually that last case wasn't because of the UK thing, it was because of the Scotland thing. My boss then had to come and ask me if Scotland was part of Britain. I then explained what makes up Britain and what makes up the UK and he looked at me like I was mad. It's even worse when I tried using Northern Ireland. Half the time I'm filling out forms abroad I want to end up screaming that England is not the UK. It's infuriating, rude and disrespectful. They get a ONE-time pass for genuine ignorance.
6 x

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am

Yes, it's surely annoying, such as calling the Soviet Union Russia is (as a matter of fact the Soviet republics of Ukraine and Belarus were full members of the United Nations). To put things more broadly: are there other examples of oversimplification and confusion that relate to countries? I record having met an American university student who sincerely believed Czechoslovakia still existed in our days.
2 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Serpent wrote:

You forgot Cornwall...
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Rhian wrote:I've had airline staff at airports refuse to help because they don't know what the UK is, have had immigration officials question it, even had a immigratiom dept that phoned my boss (was working abroad) the day after they visited to do a visa check and ask about my country again. Actually that last case wasn't because of the UK thing, it was because of the Scotland thing. My boss then had to come and ask me if Scotland was part of Britain. I then explained what makes up Britain and what makes up the UK and he looked at me like I was mad. It's even worse when I tried using Northern Ireland. Half the time I'm filling out forms abroad I want to end up screaming that England is not the UK. It's infuriating, rude and disrespectful. They get a ONE-time pass for genuine ignorance.

My son, upon entering Greece from Turkey, met an immigration officer who wouldn't listen to him when he answered the officer's question "Where do you live?" with "Kyrgyzstan."

Kurdistan is not a country!

Granted, the guy was probably confused that he was looking at an American passport from a guy who was living in Kurdistan I mean, Kyrgyzstan.
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:38 pm

IronMike wrote:
Serpent wrote:

You forgot Cornwall...

Cornwall hasn't been given country-status, if it is ever given such recognition I will happily come back here and amend my post :-D Btw, since you're a Yank and all, do you know if the US recognises Kosovo, South Sudan and Somaliland? I could google but I'm on this browser page answering this post and I'm lazy...
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Rhian wrote:
IronMike wrote:
Serpent wrote:

You forgot Cornwall...

Cornwall hasn't been given country-status, if it is ever given such recognition I will happily come back here and amend my post :-D Btw, since you're a Yank and all, do you know if the US recognises Kosovo, South Sudan and Somaliland? I could google but I'm on this browser page answering this post and I'm lazy...

In answer to your first sentence, I was joshing Serpent. ;)

In answer to your other question, yes, yes and no.
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe South Sudan did not face any serious problems with international recognition after its independence had been declared.

My countries: Lithuania, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Italy (I'm not mentioning countries where I didn't leave the airport).
0 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

eggrollextravaganza
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (passive), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby eggrollextravaganza » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 am

Unfortunately, I've only been to South Korea and the Philippines. In the states, I've been to New Jersey, Florida, North Carolina, and Virginia. There are so many countries and states I'd love to add to my list.
2 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”