How do Japanese people view L2 Japanese learners?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

How do Japanese people view L2 Japanese learners?

Postby Monty » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:30 am

I don't believe we have any native Japanese members, but does anyone else know how native Japanese people view L2 Japanese learners?

They must be aware that the Japanese L2 market is gigantic, and people are endlessly fascinated by all things Japanese?

Are they happy about it or are they just mildly annoyed that every foreigner tries to speak with them in very bad Japanese?
1 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Re: How do Japanese people view L2 Japanese learners?

Postby Sae » Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:57 pm

Although I have no experience with it, I'm a person on an internet forum therefore I have an opinion about everything.

Well joking aside, I did try learning Japanese once & have a general interest around the country to watch a deal of content relating to it. So take with a pinch of salt of course, as it's going on impression & commentaries, not experience.

Although I've not seen this specific question answered, I have seen videos about Japanese views on foreigners (answered by Japanese people), which I suppose is a similar thing & various other videos of foreigners interacting with Japanese people in English & Japanese (sadly not really anywhere where the Japanese is at a more beginner level).

The younger generation is more open-minded with the older generation being less so. If you speak good Japanese and stick to more Japanese ways, then you're pretty golden. Dislike towards foreigners tends to be about how those who dislike them think they behave or their attitudes.

With people speaking the language, people seem helpful towards foreigners when there is a language barrier, but I think with anywhere, be aware that the lower your language skill level is, the more work you're putting on the native speaker and not everybody wants to deal with that.

However, they do seem for the most part fine or even happy with foreigners taking an interest in their country, heck, some even like those we label as "weeb" but I think with it, there's a bit of a semantic argument on what is understood by one because, on the extreme end of the spectrum, you have people who just fetishize Japan & their view is based entirely on anime and on the other, people who just love Japan who may have found that love/interest through anime & are passionate about both.

This sketch is probably relevant, especially as it does represent language learning too & is trying to show that given the right attitude, Japanese will be fine with you.
4 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Re: How do Japanese people view L2 Japanese learners?

Postby alaart » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:18 am

Monty wrote:They must be aware that the Japanese L2 market is gigantic, and people are endlessly fascinated by all things Japanese?

Are they happy about it or are they just mildly annoyed that every foreigner tries to speak with them in very bad Japanese?

Most Japanese I know don't know much about Anime or Japanese internet culture, they tend to be serious people focused either on university or career.

Japanese in Japan: Aren't aware of anything outside of Japan and will generally be happy that you try to make some conversation because they can avoid speaking English and don't know much about you too.

Japanese abroad: Will get surprised that you connect them with Anime or other parts of Japanese pop culture for sure. Actually you'd have better chances with K-Pop I think if you speak to young Japanese people.

As for reactions, I have two friends here: One has started to watch some Anime so she can answer the questions and know a bit about what people try to talk about with her. My slightly older friend just completely ignores anything said to him this way and doesn't react.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”