What is behind your username?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

What is behind your username?

Postby Le Baron » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:47 pm

There are always so weird and wonderful usernames on forums. Sometimes it's a double bluff and the name looks like an ordinary name which could be that user's name, but isn't.

Mine refers to "Baron Méduse" the eponymous central figure in Erik Satie's absurdist musical play: Le piège de Méduse.

Care to share what is behind yours?
12 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: What is behind your username?

Postby tastyonions » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:17 pm

There's no special meaning at all behind mine. I lost access to my account on another forum years ago, so I had to come up with a new username and this was what came to mind. Not sure why: I do like onions but they're not at the top of my favorite foods list or anything.
8 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:26 pm

Le Baron wrote:Mine refers to "Baron Méduse" the eponymous central figure in Erik Satie's absurdist musical play: Le piège de Méduse.

I always thought it was Jo(h)n Voight's Le Baron... ;)
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I always thought it was Jo(h)n Voight's Le Baron... ;)

I'd never heard of that before. I didn't watch Seinfeld enough at the time. Only later.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:59 pm

My name (and it's spelt with the Danish -sen, not the Swedish -son)
5 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:10 pm

Since I live in the Caribbean, iguanas are all around. The ending "mon" is how "man" is pronounced in Caribbean English.
11 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:21 pm

For those how don't know Polish, or can't be bothered to look it up, my username means "lunar". I'm not sure why I initially picked it out that particular word, but it seems fitting for those who know me well. :P I also wanted something specifically Polish.
8 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:36 pm

My forum name came to me via an episode of an old radio series staring Basil Rathbone, The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The episode is entitled The Guileless Gypsy [yeah, I know, but I do not think the term was as perjorative back then as it is now]. Sherlock was assisting a community of Roma wrongly suspected of skullduggery and such, and one of the Roma called him a "true lavengro, a master of words" upon hearing his use of the Romini language.

I expect Anthony Boucher, author of the radio play scripts, picked up the word lavengro from a novel by George Borrows, Lavengro: The Scholar - The Gypsy [yeah, I know] - The Priest. Since I am unlikely to be mistaken for any of those three descriptors, I figured it would provide sufficient cover for my real identity (I needed to replace my old cover name of Clark Kent after moving away from Metropolis, as my cover got blown).

There are some good names on this forum, but in my opinion, the best user name is from the old HTLAL forum: "songlines." I had the privilege of meeting up with songlines for lunch in Vancouver years ago when she popped back from Toronto where she worked at the Toronto Metropolitan Library to visit with some of her family in Vancouver, a few months prior to her very sudden and unexpected passing at far too young an age. She was a very kind person with a huge curiosity about the world, a strong interest in the French language and a gracious soul. I do not recall exactly the words she used when I asked about her user name, but there were along the lines of some of the attached: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songline.
10 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:06 pm

księżycowy wrote:My username means "lunar". I'm not sure why I initially picked it out that particular word ... I also wanted something specifically Polish.
I recall seeing your username since Unilang days. It certainly is memorable. Were you learning Polish at the time, or was there another reason to go for a Polish word?
0 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 pm

Ra·​con·​teur
  • As a Francophile, I get to enjoy a moniker that is French, but also intelligible on predominantly English speaking platforms.
  • I think it suits me well enough: en général, un raconteur est une personne qui parle beaucoup trop.
  • It was the name of my favorite bookstore, a truly magical place.
  • And Księżycowy was already taken, jk.
5 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”